The Starting Rotation is Set.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Hayden Wesneski earns spot in Cubs' rotation.
Glad Sampson is gone.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Glad Sampson is gone.

Glad Sampson is gone.

This rotation will put no fear in our opponents, but it is not terrible. If we are planning on competing next year, we need a real stopper somebody like a Yu Darvish type of pitcher. But, how does a team ever get a great pitcher like that?

Castor76

Liked Posts:
This rotation will put no fear in our opponents, but it is not terrible. If we are planning on competing next year, we need a real stopper somebody like a Yu Darvish type of pitcher. But, how does a team ever get a great pitcher like that?
Pray like hell the guys on the farm develop the way they want and go all out for Ohtani and Urias at 45-50M AAV deals while hoping they see enough in the Cubs to want to go there? Both could potentially sign deals worth over half a billion.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Pray like hell the guys on the farm develop the way they want and go all out for Ohtani and Urias at 45-50M AAV deals while hoping they see enough in the Cubs to want to go there? Both could potentially sign deals worth over half a billion.
I was being sarcastic, we had Yu Darvish and traded him and a good back-up catcher in Caratini to the Padres for four prospects that are currently buried in the Cubs minor league system. Now, in a couple of years we might see a few of those players bubble-up, but the trade was clearly a short term salary dump that at this point has made the Cubs a worse team. But Darvish is a real stud for Pares as they take a stab at the World Series.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I was being sarcastic, we had Yu Darvish and traded him and a good back-up catcher in Caratini to the Padres for four prospects that are currently buried in the Cubs minor league system. Now, in a couple of years we might see a few of those players bubble-up, but the trade was clearly a short term salary dump that at this point has made the Cubs a worse team. But Darvish is a real stud for Pares as they take a stab at the World Series.

I sort of thought that's what you were going for but the Cubs were in no position to compete for the playoffs in 21 or 22 even with him and only maybe now in 23. I think we all want what the Dodgers have, but it's strange that they are the only organization that seems to have deep pockets and an effective farm system to boot.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
I sort of thought that's what you were going for but the Cubs were in no position to compete for the playoffs in 21 or 22 even with him and only maybe now in 23. I think we all want what the Dodgers have, but it's strange that they are the only organization that seems to have deep pockets and an effective farm system to boot.
I understand we would have had to carry Yu through 3 non-competitive years to get to 2024, but here is the catch, if Darvish had been traded for prospects that would have helped us in the rebuild we are in now I would have been fine with that. But, the earliest any of the prospects in the Darvish deal could help the major league team would be 2025, that is if any of them actually make the majors. Jed said the trade was to make the Cubs a better team, he just didn't say when. Nice comment, have a great day, Go Cubs!

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Off the subject of the starting pitching, it is almost time for real baseball....I am glad the minor leaguers had a chance to show their wares and see some major league level hitting and pitching. I think as soon as Morel can get that batting average up we will see him in the show. There are a lot of cold weather games coming up in April, so fans need to wear a lot of layers. But, when the home plate umpire points at Stroman at 1:20 p.m., c.s.t. Thursday afternoon, and says play ball, let the fun begin. Go Cubs!!!