The weak link: WRs

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Just when you thought this position group couldn't get any worse, we lose our nominal WR1 to a gruesome, season-ending injury. I know we've been talking about this all off season as a potential weakness but I thought it would be interesting to see how you all see it now. We all hoped that someone would have showed something by now, but by and large it hasn't happened.

I think it's time to at least consider just keeping five WRs and using Miller as a nominal sixth WR. I domt see how you can justify keeping Cruz or both Bellamy and Thompson ahead of what is an intriguing and relatively deep TE group.

WR: White, Wheaton, Wright, Gentry, Thompson or Bellamy (5)
TE: Miller, Sims, Shaheen, Brown (4)

Either that or we need to get lucky and pick a WR up when the cuts are made or look at a FA, although it's not a super intriguing list (Vincent Jackson at 34?!).

My worst case scenario involves keeping Cruz, Thompson and Bellamy and trying to sneak Gentry on the PS.

Regardless of which way we go, this is an extremely thin group that is now essentially banking on Kevin White to come good. My hopes are not high. It remind me a bit of the "weapons" Mariota had in his first season where he basically had to pass to Delanie Walker 75% of the time. Could be a brutal group.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Thompson needs to be on the roster. My receiving depth chart would look something like:

WR: White, Wright, Gentry, Thompson, Cruz, Bellamy
TE: Sims/Shaheen/Brown

Stash Braunecker on the PS. Hopefully get a late pick for Miller. If not, just caught bait. Brown is very solid underneath, younger, cheaper, and fits more long term. Pace will probably draft a WR pretty early next year.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
WR continues to be Pace's achilles heel

getting rid of Marshall, losing Alshon, picking Kevin White...WR has not been a good position for him

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Thompson needs to be on the roster. My receiving depth chart would look something like:

WR: White, Wright, Gentry, Thompson, Cruz, Bellamy
TE: Sims/Shaheen/Brown

Stash Braunecker on the PS. Hopefully get a late pick for Miller. If not, just caught bait. Brown is very solid underneath, younger, cheaper, and fits more long term. Pace will probably draft a WR pretty early next year.

You for forgot about Wheaton.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
WR continues to be Pace's achilles heel

getting rid of Marshall, losing Alshon, picking Kevin White...WR has not been a good position for him

It's no coincidence Marshall's last two teams have been in NY. Alshon really didn't want to be here and hasn't been on the field to produce anyways. White suffered an injury after Pace drafted him. Gentry looks to be a great find, Wright is a very solid signing, and Meredith was a tremendous find as well. Obviously the Bears need to add to the position, but I don't think Pace is incapable of identifying and adding talent there. He most definitely will address it in the offseason.

laputan

Liked Posts:
The only upside to the injury to our WR1 is that it takes care of that whole "Glennon has been practicing with the 1's, Trubs has been practicing with the 2's and 3's" problem.

Without Meredith and if White doesn't deliver, with the ascension of Gentry and Thompson, it may turn out that Trubs has been practicing with his eventual midseason starting receiving corps after all.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
You for forgot about Wheaton.

I'm not sure Wheaton makes it. I think out of the lower tier of WRs, Thompson is a lock. That leaves Cruz or Bellamy. Fox loves Bellamy and he has a lot of value on ST. So that to me makes it a battle between Cruz and Wheaton. Cruz has been on the field. The results have been mixed....but he is a veteran presence and has had past success. It will be interesting for sure. The WR competition is fierce this year. Not a lot of high end talent...but a lot of very solid and potentially ascending players who are competing for a spot.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I'm not sure Wheaton makes it. I think out of the lower tier of WRs, Thompson is a lock. That leaves Cruz or Bellamy. Fox loves Bellamy and he has a lot of value on ST. So that to me makes it a battle between Cruz and Wheaton. Cruz has been on the field. The results have been mixed....but he is a veteran presence and has had past success. It will be interesting for sure. The WR competition is fierce this year. Not a lot of high end talent...but a lot of very solid and potentially ascending players who are competing for a spot.

His contract says otherwise. Wheaton is a lock to make the team.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
His contract says otherwise. Wheaton is a lock to make the team.

Fair point. That might prove to be his saving grace. I believe all his GTD money is this year and the Bears are paying him 6 mil. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll make the team, but if it means cutting Bellamy or perhaps Cruz, he could make it certainly. WR and CB are the most interesting group to watch going forward, IMO.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Fair point. That might prove to be his saving grace. I believe all his GTD money is this year and the Bears are paying him 6 mil. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll make the team, but if it means cutting Bellamy or perhaps Cruz, he could make it certainly. WR and CB are the most interesting group to watch going forward, IMO.

Very intriguing to watch. Thompson and Wright have both come on the past two games and I also think that Bellamy is valued because of special teams. Cruz was good the first game but playing into the 4th quarter each game and dropping some passes may mean he is right on the bubble. Bears may look outside the roster to add to the 53 man, high waiver claim or trade possibility.

Tanner needs to make the 53 man roster...he looks like a great find.....

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Very intriguing to watch. Thompson and Wright have both come on the past two games and I also think that Bellamy is valued because of special teams. Cruz was good the first game but playing into the 4th quarter each game and dropping some passes may mean he is right on the bubble. Bears may look outside the roster to add to the 53 man, high waiver claim or trade possibility.

Tanner needs to make the 53 man roster...he looks like a great find.....

Gentry absolutely will make the team.

I will say this, although the upper end talent isn't there for the Bears, I do think Pace has assembled a number of very capable guys who all have something to prove. Meredith going down is a killer...but at the same time it's a huge opportunity for White, and also for the FO, to see what they have there. I'm very high on Gentry and Wright is a very solid WR as well. Thompson I feel is a bit underrated also. The Bears have some interesting decisions to make and it's a shame Wheaton has been shelved because he would add another speed element to go with Gentry.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Kendall Wright will surprise some people and White needs to step it up. We'll be ok, it's not like we lost a top tier guy. Cam was just the best of a mediocre lot anyway

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mecha

Liked Posts:
I'll take the current batch over a shitty converted DB, and a band of smurfs. there were a few grabs they didn't make. there were others that Glennon threw at their feet. they're not going to catch every single pass. I think the WR situation isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. losing Merideth sucks, but others will step up. White at least looked the part, I like Wright a lot, and Gentry has grown on me the last couple weeks. it'll be ok

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:

I think Wheaton is a lock for two reasons. One, he's really the only receiver we have to run past defenders, maybe along with Gentry if he develops. Two, he's getting paid.

You're also way higher on the group than I am. I think Wright is probably an above average to average slot receiver. That makes him probably our best WR. White has done nothing and will now likely face some of the best corners in the league. Wheaton has had about half a dozen reps total with the team. Gentry looks intriguing but it's impossible to predict how he will develop. Thompson has had a good pre-season but we all remember that drop in the end zone. Ditto Bellamy. Cruz has dropped two very makeable catches already.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Kendall Wright will surprise some people and White needs to step it up. We'll be ok, it's not like we lost a top tier guy. Cam was just the best of a mediocre lot anyway

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think this is harsh on Meredith. I think he had a good chance for a 1000 yard season.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will see your WR and raise you CB. A great offense will get by ordinary receivers but a great defense can only occasionally mask shit corners.

Davide

Liked Posts:
Do you think it's possible to trade for Josh Gordon?