Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I also think Wilson is the best QB prospect right now. It's not only the freakish arm talent, he also does a lot of little things well like looking off defenders and sliding around in the pocket to avoid pressure. He will put the ball at risk more often than I would like, though. I honestly think Brett Favre is a reasonable comp.

I like Mac Jones a lot. I have him second after Wilson right now. Pretty good arm strength, super accurate, and more athletic than people give him credit for. Matt Ryan is probably a good comp.

I keep going back and forth with Lawrence. He's so physically impressive, but sometimes the decision-making is questionable. Is he going to be more of a Matt Stafford type or more of a Bortles/Cutler type? I don't know, I still need to watch more film.

I've soured on Trask the more I've watched him. Very bad feet, and despite great accuracy (especially on his deep ball), he puts the ball in danger a lot more than I'd like. He also doesn't get very good velocity on his throws. He might be one of those guys who was a great college QB, but just doesn't have the physical tools to be successful in the NFL.

I think Lance is extremely overrated. My new rule after being fooled by Trubisky and Peterman last time is not to give a guy credit for completing a pass to a wide open receiver from a clean pocket. Given that over 70% of Lance's throws have been to wide open receivers from a clean pocket, I had to ignore most of his throws and just concentrate on the ones where was under pressure or had to fit the ball into a tight window. When he has to throw into a tight window, he usually struggles, and is not consistently accurate. And he immediately stops looking to throw and tries to scramble the second he's under any pressure, which is a bad sign and not something he will get away with in the NFL. So I think the lack of consistent accuracy and over-reliance on his legs are big red flags, and he has by far the most bust potential out of any of the top QBs. I probably wouldn't even give him a first round grade right now.

I haven't formed strong enough opinions about the other guys to say much.
I'd roll the dice on any of them at 20 but tend to agree. Lance has so much potential but that's what your drafting and whether that deserves a selection at 20 is eye of the beholder. I'd roll those dice and sit him for a year. then give him relatively easy reads the next year while he navigates NFL Ds. Sort of what we should have done with Mitch though it appears he was never going to acclimate. I like Jones because he fits the NFL pocket passer roll but he needs help. If he gets it, he'll acclimate quickly. Going early would usually be the kiss of death for a QB like that (bad teams) but if SF takes him, he could excel pretty quickly. I think Lawrence is a gamer but getting too much hype due to his stature and team he played for. That said. I'm taking him top 2 as well but I don't think he's as good a prospect coming out as Luck which has been the reports.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do not follow college football, but it is always good to read up on potential draft picks those that do seem to like and fit.

Good work all!

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Spotlight has been on finding the next QB of the future for the Bears so far, but with careful drafting the Bears have a chance to solidify/build some of the current glaring weaknesses on the roster: potentially both OT spots, CB, WR, SS, etc. Imagine the Bears drafting a rookie QB in the 2022 draft, but having 2 new and better OTs in place to help actually give the rookie time to read the field. And/or both starting CBs on a rookie deals - the cap flexibility that gives a GM to go after high end FAs when the cap pops back up over $200M in a season or so as stadiums fill back up. The biggest earners in the NFL are QBs, EDGE, CBs, WRs and OTS - the Bears have an opportunity to have 4/5 of those positions on rookie salaries in 2 years time. The balance sheet is fucked for EDGE though.
Or draft a mid/late QB to develop on the bench this year, with the hope he could take over next. If not, you can still draft that QB next year...

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Or draft a mid/late QB to develop on the bench this year, with the hope he could take over next. If not, you can still draft that QB next year...
Yeah I think thats a viable route as well.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
I also think Wilson is the best QB prospect right now. It's not only the freakish arm talent, he also does a lot of little things well like looking off defenders and sliding around in the pocket to avoid pressure. He will put the ball at risk more often than I would like, though. I honestly think Brett Favre is a reasonable comp.

I like Mac Jones a lot. I have him second after Wilson right now. Pretty good arm strength, super accurate, and more athletic than people give him credit for. Matt Ryan is probably a good comp.

I keep going back and forth with Lawrence. He's so physically impressive, but sometimes the decision-making is questionable. Is he going to be more of a Matt Stafford type or more of a Bortles/Cutler type? I don't know, I still need to watch more film.

I've soured on Trask the more I've watched him. Very bad feet, and despite great accuracy (especially on his deep ball), he puts the ball in danger a lot more than I'd like. He also doesn't get very good velocity on his throws. He might be one of those guys who was a great college QB, but just doesn't have the physical tools to be successful in the NFL.

I think Lance is extremely overrated. My new rule after being fooled by Trubisky and Peterman last time is not to give a guy credit for completing a pass to a wide open receiver from a clean pocket. Given that over 70% of Lance's throws have been to wide open receivers from a clean pocket, I had to ignore most of his throws and just concentrate on the ones where was under pressure or had to fit the ball into a tight window. When he has to throw into a tight window, he usually struggles, and is not consistently accurate. And he immediately stops looking to throw and tries to scramble the second he's under any pressure, which is a bad sign and not something he will get away with in the NFL. So I think the lack of consistent accuracy and over-reliance on his legs are big red flags, and he has by far the most bust potential out of any of the top QBs. I probably wouldn't even give him a first round grade right now.

I haven't formed strong enough opinions about the other guys to say much.

Not trying to Nit Pick but if you have an issue that Lance throws 70% to wide open receivers from a clean pocket, then why not the same concern about Mac Jones? All Jones does is throw to wide open receivers from a clean pocket and not to mention that he had 4 First Round WR's to throw to over the last 2 years....Either way, you aren't drafting Jones or Lance to come in and start day 1 like you are with Lawrence or Wilson. Also, take into consideration that Trey Lance was the ONLY one of the top QB's that actually made all of the line calls as well (this was noted in several of the ESPN Draft shows).

If I was drafting (obviously a big IF) Mac Jones would be the last of the Top 5 QB's I would draft. Lance would be 4th. In honestly I wouldn't even take Jones in the first round because I don't think he is a 1st round talent. I believe that Mac Jones is simply a product of playing around the best talent money can buy in college and he won't have the luxury in the NFL. I have to note, I don't hate the kid, he seems like a great person and I wish he all the success in the world. But in my eyes, he is a product of the Alabama recruiting like so many of the Bama QB's before him that put up amazing numbers in college and then were nothing more than a glorified back-up in the NFL (truth be told, I said the same thing about Tua, never got the Tua hype at all).

DB012031

Liked Posts:

Keep in mind, next's years QB crop is supposed to be one of the worst in recent history. As it stands right now the top QB for 2022 is Sam Howell at North Carolina. If any of Wilson, Fields, Lance or Lawrence were to stay in school they would easily be the #1 pick next year. So, my point is, waiting another year isn't always best because next year, as it stands today, is not a year you want to be drafting a QB.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I can't wait for Nagy to develop a QB. His prolific offense should be perfect for any QB that needs more time in the oven. ?

Bort

Liked Posts:
Not trying to Nit Pick but if you have an issue that Lance throws 70% to wide open receivers from a clean pocket, then why not the same concern about Mac Jones? All Jones does is throw to wide open receivers from a clean pocket and not to mention that he had 4 First Round WR's to throw to over the last 2 years....Either way, you aren't drafting Jones or Lance to come in and start day 1 like you are with Lawrence or Wilson. Also, take into consideration that Trey Lance was the ONLY one of the top QB's that actually made all of the line calls as well (this was noted in several of the ESPN Draft shows).

If I was drafting (obviously a big IF) Mac Jones would be the last of the Top 5 QB's I would draft. Lance would be 4th. In honestly I wouldn't even take Jones in the first round because I don't think he is a 1st round talent. I believe that Mac Jones is simply a product of playing around the best talent money can buy in college and he won't have the luxury in the NFL. I have to note, I don't hate the kid, he seems like a great person and I wish he all the success in the world. But in my eyes, he is a product of the Alabama recruiting like so many of the Bama QB's before him that put up amazing numbers in college and then were nothing more than a glorified back-up in the NFL (truth be told, I said the same thing about Tua, never got the Tua hype at all).

There were also a lot of future NFL defensive backs covering those receivers in the SEC. Having watched a lot of film, I think Lance's wide receivers outclassed the defenses they faced by a larger margin than Jones' receivers outclassed the defenses they faced, and Jones was consistently throwing into smaller windows, and being more accurate when doing so.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
The best non QBs in this draft are Penei Sewell, Kyle Pitts and Micah Parsons. I think Zach Wilson will be the best QB.

There will be plenty of value to be found in the pool of 2020 Covid opt outs. Teams will need to dig deep and the best area scouts will be even more valuable than usual in this process. There are corners like Ambry Thomas from Michigan, Paulson Adebo from Stanford, Tay Gowan from UCF, Thomas Graham Jr. & Deommodore Lenoir from Oregon that all opted out in 2020. Each of them could present huge value in the later rounds.

The OT position is deep and the Bears could find young bookends if they are inclined to do so. Guys like Dan Moore Jr., Tommy Doyle and Alaric Jackson should be available in the 6th round and could be developed as right tackles.

I do not want to see Teven Jenkins drafted by the Packers.

The Bears could find plenty of value by drafting any of these players from Stanford: Davis Mills, Walker Little, Paulson Adebo and Simi Fehoko

My ideal - realistic first four picks for the Bears: Darrisaw, Elijah Moore, Davis Mills and Paulson Adebo or Ambry Thomas

Jaycee Horn will be the best corner in the draft.

If one of the top 3 receivers drop like Cee Dee Lamb did last year, the Bears have to take a shot.

I think there will be some interesting D lineman and linebackers available in the 6th round.

I believe Sam Ehlinger will sign with the Bears as a UDFA even if they draft a QB. My UDFA preference at QB is Brady White from Memphis although he is 25 years old.

A player that will come in and make an immediate impact is Zaven Collins. He's a tough, extremely athletic three down backer that can play in any scheme. He was all over my UCF Knights last fall. He and Roquan Smith would be a wrecking crew together.

Please share your thoughts. I do love draft season. @Wild_x_Card @rawdawg @modo @Bort @dennehy @Adipost You guys always have excellent insights.

Good post, agree with quite a bit, but FYI Brady White is not and will not be a legit NFL QB.

Bort

Liked Posts:
I'd roll the dice on any of them at 20 but tend to agree. Lance has so much potential but that's what your drafting and whether that deserves a selection at 20 is eye of the beholder. I'd roll those dice and sit him for a year. then give him relatively easy reads the next year while he navigates NFL Ds. Sort of what we should have done with Mitch though it appears he was never going to acclimate. I like Jones because he fits the NFL pocket passer roll but he needs help. If he gets it, he'll acclimate quickly. Going early would usually be the kiss of death for a QB like that (bad teams) but if SF takes him, he could excel pretty quickly. I think Lawrence is a gamer but getting too much hype due to his stature and team he played for. That said. I'm taking him top 2 as well but I don't think he's as good a prospect coming out as Luck which has been the reports.

Lance looks amazing if you just watch his highlights because he's so big and strong and athletic and has a cannon for an arm. But then when I watch film on him, there are way too many errant throws and too many times when he should have gone to his second read, but just tucked and ran instead. I think he's somewhat similar to Deshone Kizer in that way (although I think Lance is a better prospect than Kizer). What they have in common is that they're getting away with a lot of stuff in college that just will not translate to the NFL and they have a lot of bad habits to break.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lance looks amazing if you just watch his highlights because he's so big and strong and athletic and has a cannon for an arm. But then when I watch film on him, there are way too many errant throws and too many times when he should have gone to his second read, but just tucked and ran instead. I think he's somewhat similar to Deshone Kizer in that way (although I think Lance is a better prospect than Kizer). What they have in common is that they're getting away with a lot of stuff in college that just will not translate to the NFL and they have a lot of bad habits to break.
I don't disagree with any of that but I think his potential makes him worth a roll of the dice. He takes a look, then tucks and his accuracy is just OK. He's about potential. It's a positional elevation and why he's getting that consideration. I didn't see his 2nd pro day. Any idea if he was more accurate with placement than the 1st one?

DB012031

Liked Posts:
There were also a lot of future NFL defensive backs covering those receivers in the SEC. Having watched a lot of film, I think Lance's wide receivers outclassed the defenses they faced by a larger margin than Jones' receivers outclassed the defenses they faced, and Jones was consistently throwing into smaller windows, and being more accurate when doing so.

Fair enough.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Good post, agree with quite a bit, but FYI Brady White is not and will not be a legit NFL QB.

I’ve seen quite a bit of him and he was able to distribute the football and was productive. I’m talking about grooming a back up. I have no illusions of White being a NFL starter but point taken.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Other things I think as we get closer:

North Carolina has three excellent offensive skill players in this draft. Try to find a game where a corner was able to shut down Dyami Brown. He's under the radar but he'll be a steal for someone.

Michael Carter and Javonta Williams are both dynamic, explosive running backs that protect the football and consistently make plays. They probably both go in round 2.

Imagine the Bears having an awful season and set up to pick the top QB in the 2022 draft and realizing it is Sam Howell of North Carolina. How would you feel about that?

There's probably no need to overdraft a fast slot receiver. There are plenty of candidates in this draft. Like these guys:

Moore (Purdue), Moore (Ole Miss), Rodgers (Clemson), Eskridge (Western Michigan), Darden (North Texas) Felton (UCLA), Toney (Florida) and Atwell (Louisville)

Jaelyn Phillips (Miami) would be a top ten pick if there wasn't concern about his concussions.

I mentioned Kyle Pitts earlier in this thread. I heard Brady Quinn say throwing to Pitts would be like targeting a fast, elusive soccer net. That's how he views his catching radius. Pitts is an absolute stud.

The biggest needs for the Bears (outside of QB) are some of the deepest positions in the draft. OT, CB and WR

With one of those sixth round picks, the Bears will need to find a player that can step in as a special teams ace especially at gunner. Patterson is the best gunner in football and his absence will be felt on the coverage units.

What are your general thoughts a little more than a week out?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Keep in mind, next's years QB crop is supposed to be one of the worst in recent history. As it stands right now the top QB for 2022 is Sam Howell at North Carolina. If any of Wilson, Fields, Lance or Lawrence were to stay in school they would easily be the #1 pick next year. So, my point is, waiting another year isn't always best because next year, as it stands today, is not a year you want to be drafting a QB.
This is surprising, because typically, the next class is always the better class. At least in the minds of most people. I'll say this, and I've said this before, and I'll always say it: nobody knows anything about quarterbacks.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
he reminds me of Lee Evans a little bit
That guy makes me furious every time I see the name.
He dropped a TD Pass in the playoffs for the Ravens that ultimately lead to the Cundif 23 yard Field Goal Miss....yes I have been through this with my two favorite teams...... :mad: :mad:?

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
To be honest, my guys in this draft are a pair of tackles:
Jackson Carman of Clemson, and Daniel Faalele of Minnesota. Huge assets for the run game, and both could be fixtures for a while. Both are physical monsters, particularly Faalele (6'9", 400 pounds), who should help any QB.

Get those two, find a good WR and ILB to replace Miller and Trevethan, and I'm OK.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No way the top 5 Qbs get past 13. Imo.