Thoughts and Observations: Week 10 Vikings

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I think you need to separate the two 2-point conversion attempts. Nagy said at the post-game presser that the Bears had prepared some things they thought would work with 2-point conversions against Minny. Zero argument with trying the two point conversion on the first half TD. But the Jackson pick-6 TD put the Bears up 14 with ~8 minutes to go. At that point, end-of-game management should be kicking in. You've got a two TD lead, and a dominating defense. I doubt any other NFL HC goes for two in that situation. They'd kick the PAT to get the 15 pt lead, and then start nursing it. I suspect Nagy went for two simply because the Bears game-planned for several two-point conversions, when he should have been thinking end-game at that point...

I also doubt Parkey's two missed PATs against Detroit had any influence on Nagy's two-point conversion decisions. Parkey is an established NFL kicker. While NFL coaches get rid of bad & inconsistent kickers, they don't bail on reliable kickers who have had a bad day the previous week...

EDIT: Misread.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Think about it. Down by 15, the Vikings need two TDs and a 2 pt conversion to tie (they wouldn’t play for the win). This still is hard to do. If the Bears fail for the 2 pt conversion, Vikings only need two conventional TDs to tie.

how do you know this....

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I thought Tabor was cheering a bit too much for a field goal......It reminded me of me when I saw my 1 year old walk for the first time.....

Yeah the guy went nuts. He was acting like Parkey just hit a 65 yarder or some shit.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Go for XP: up by 15.

Meaning MIN can win with two scores.

Go for 2: up by 16

MIN has to get two TDs and has to get two 2-pointers just to tie.

fail to understand how going for 2 and succeeding could also be bad.

Guys, you're confusing outcome with decision here. If you go for 2 and make it, thats a good outcome. If you go for 2 and not make it, thats a bad outcome. Your decision on whether to go for 2 in the first place needs to factor in both possible outcomes, as well as the game clock. Yes, a 16 pt lead is obviously better than 15; but a 15 pt lead is a whole lot better than a 14 pt lead as the game clock winds down.

If that second 2 point conversion failed, and Minny punched in two TDs, tying the game with routine PATs, there'd be an angry mob with pitch forks & torches on this board...

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Yeah I was pretty indifferent to the move. Could really make the argument either way and with a kicker you were not that confident in, I understand why they went for it.

Lest we forget, Nagy took a long time just to send Parkey out there for a 48 yarder which is a no brainer in most cases so it was obvious he wasn't 100% confident in his kicker.

Yeah I was begging him to send Parkey out there to kick it. If you can't trust your kicker to make a field goal inside 50 yards in clean conditions then you have trust issues or your kicker fucking sucks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah I was pretty indifferent to the move. Could really make the argument either way and with a kicker you were not that confident in, I understand why they went for it.

Lest we forget, Nagy took a long time just to send Parkey out there for a 48 yarder which is a no brainer in most cases so it was obvious he wasn't 100% confident in his kicker.
Odds are the you come away with more overall points if you go for 2 every time. I wouldn't doubt that Nagy decided all TDs were going to go for 2pt converts unless it was a game winner extra point.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think this is a good thing to take from the game.

Prior to last nights game the Vikings had the best 3rd down stop percentage in the league at around 25%. The Bears were 50% on 3rd down. Now remember the Vikes have played two powerhouse teams in the Rams and Saints and still had an outstanding 3rd down stop rate.

We had no three and outs in the game. None. We punted only twice. We probably would have three if Cohen hadn't fumbled but still, we moved the ball on one of the best defenses in the league. We rushed for 148 yards against the number four (now) rushing defense in the league. We only got in trouble when we tried to get cute but that misdirection also set up some plays that gave us several scoring opportunities.

This is probably the best defense we will play for the rest of the year and when we play them again, we hopefully will have sealed the division and won't have to worry about winning the game. Minnesota is a good team, a damned good team. Three of their losses have come to teams that lead their division, two of them to one loss teams. Don't let their record fool you, this is a team that is almost as good as last years, in some respects maybe a little better.

This was a signature win.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great win. I thought Nagy coached a great game, especially the way he handled Parkey.

My only criticism is he went away from Jordan Howard who was running well. Nagy has a tendency to attack the perimeter too much and stall the offense when he has the lead.

I thought the Vikes were very physical in coverage. Hopefully we learn from that. I think there’s a lot Trubs can take away from playing that defense.

Our defense was simply dominant. Just need to close the door better in garbage time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Guys, you're confusing outcome with decision here. If you go for 2 and make it, thats a good outcome. If you go for 2 and not make it, thats a bad outcome. Your decision on whether to go for 2 in the first place needs to factor in both possible outcomes, as well as the game clock. Yes, a 16 pt lead is obviously better than 15; but a 15 pt lead is a whole lot better than a 14 pt lead as the game clock winds down.

If that second 2 point conversion failed, and Minny punched in two TDs, tying the game with routine PATs, there'd be an angry mob with pitch forks & torches on this board...

But you are playing with "what if" too much imo.

If he had kicked the PAT and MIN would have gotten the 2-pter and gotten the onside recover then we would have been up 24 - 21 and they would have 48 seconds to go 30 yards and kick the tying FG.

I suppose you could compare scenarios and argue a higher likelihood for your tying scenario over mine and that would be a fair point.

I prefer to see it as a head coach that sees each call with a likelihood for success and judge the coach on the outcome rather than my own limited knowledge outside of the internal X's and O's and their respective percentages.

This frees me from the fallacy of always being the idiot who is retroactively "smarter" than the coach. This frees me from the argument over running for it on 3rd and 1 vs. passing for it a la SEA on the goal line in the Super Bowl. I find the ones who scream "You had LYNCH! Why would you throw it!" to be illogical in that it is not known what percentage Lynch run vs. slant is and only with foresight is it known that Butler is looking for slant.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Odds are the you come away with more overall points if you go for 2 every time. I wouldn't doubt that Nagy decided all TDs were going to go for 2pt converts unless it was a game winner extra point.

Cannot thank for some reason but would if I could.

Greenie said this all the time back when he was on Mike and Mike in the morning.

Tomlin is the most aggressive coach going for 2 that I know of in the NFL. He really only kicks the XP when up by 16 + or down in the score and calculating catch up by 7's. (at least in the games I see the Steelers). It's amazing but it seems PIT stocks up on big red zone threats for TDs and 2 pointers particularly the TEs.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I refreshed and then I could thank you, so there ya go.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Great win. I thought Nagy coached a great game, especially the way he handled Parkey.

My only criticism is he went away from Jordan Howard who was running well. Nagy has a tendency to attack the perimeter too much and stall the offense when he has the lead.

I thought the Vikes were very physical in coverage. Hopefully we learn from that. I think there’s a lot Trubs can take away from playing that defense.

Our defense was simply dominant. Just need to close the door better in garbage time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree the Vikings pass D was violent with their hits. Made Miller lose his mind on one of em. i thought 54 should have gotten a unnecessary roughing call on it. But Miller, wow. Collinsworth thought he had got hit in the head. he did!!!

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Nagy's decision to go for 2 after the Jackson pick-6 was an extremely poor one. Up by 14 with 8 minutes to go in the game, you don't even think about going for 2. You kick the PAT, and force the other team to not only score two TDs, but make a 2-point conversion as well.
PAT makes it 6-21, up by 15, which requires Viks to make two 2pt conversions to win. I agree with you, go for PAT because Viks are not going to go for 2pt conversion to win, they'll do 1-pt to tie.

Think about it. Down by 15, the Vikings need two TDs and a 2 pt conversion to tie (they wouldn’t play for the win). This still is hard to do. If the Bears fail for the 2 pt conversion, Vikings only need two conventional TDs to tie.
Agreed.

how do you know this....
The only thing you have is the big big big trend. Coaches (almost) never go for 2pt conversions to win instead of tying the game. Although it may have happened, I'm not aware of it ever happening. Isn't that good enough to evaluate which is the better decision?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
You might be right.

Nagy went for 2pts after the games' first TD in the 1st Qtr. Who does that?

Maybe after the Bears were successful making 2pt conversions last game, Nagy has decided the Bears are really good at it and are going to do it all or most of the time.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
The only thing you have is the big big big trend. Coaches never go for 2pt conversions to win instead of tying the game. Although it may have happened, I'm not aware of it ever happening. Isn't that good enough to evaluate which is the better decision?
I agree with you, except that you said never. Teams do occaisionally do it. Carolina did just that yesterday... and lost.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
PAT makes it 6-21, up by 15, which requires Viks to make two 2pt conversions to win. I agree with you, go for PAT because Viks are not going to go for 2pt conversion to win, they'll do 1-pt to tie.

Agreed.

The only thing you have is the big big big trend. Coaches never go for 2pt conversions to win instead of tying the game. Although it may have happened, I'm not aware of it ever happening. Isn't that good enough to evaluate which is the better decision?

nfl_r_ron-rivera_mb_300x300.0.jpg

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Coaches do in fact go for the win on a 2 point conversion...it happens a lot more often than never...

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Never say never on the CCS forum... So Rivera went for it this week and lost. I hadn't seen a coach go for 2pt conversion to win, but I assumed it's quite rare.

Did anyone notice the way Robinson didn't bother to go after the defender after he intercepted the pass intended for Robinson? I thought Robinson must have been hurt. It was a shame because the way the defender made so many horizontal adjustments for quite awhile, Robinson would have been able to at least tackle him from behind a few times.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Here's Brad Bigg's take on the 2pt conversions:

"That’s how Nagy explained it after the game as well. He went for two in another non-traditional spot after Eddie Jackson’s interception return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter. The score put the Bears ahead 20-6; an extra point there would have meant a 15-point lead which would have forced the Vikings to score two touchdowns, get one two-point conversion and an extra point to tie the game. Nagy went for two – which isn’t what the chart recommends – as Trubisky hit tight end Adam Shaheen for the conversion and a 16-point lead. Again, Nagy was aggressive and it worked."