Thoughts on Alzolay?

Skittles2100

Liked Posts:
Hector Neris has been.....um bad this spring. Alzolay is doing really well, but he is made of glass. When we have him I think he can be a sub 2 era closer. WHEN HEALTHY. Do the Cubs really need to rely on a goldmine sitting on a ton of dynamite? Cubs should trade Alzolay before his injuries catch up to him. I mean, I feel if he is healthy he can actually be a good enough closer to grab relief man of the year awards and some Cy young votes. If he stays healthy. He wont. The Cubs entire season lived and died on Alzolay pitching. We didnt make the playoffs due to his ailing body.

Skittles2100

Liked Posts:
BUMP! HELL BLOW IT TONIGHT AGAINST THE RANGERS AGAIN IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY. HE WILL COST US THE PLAYOFFS

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
BUMP! HELL BLOW IT TONIGHT AGAINST THE RANGERS AGAIN IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY. HE WILL COST US THE PLAYOFFS
you stated that its his inability to stay healthy that will cost us, not his performances. You even stated when healthy he is good enough for relief man of the year awards and cy young votes.

now youre on here stating that he sucks when healthy and pitching

which is it, jabroni?!

FWIW, he finished yesterdays game just fine

Bust

Liked Posts:
Hector Neris has been.....um bad this spring. Alzolay is doing really well, but he is made of glass. When we have him I think he can be a sub 2 era closer. WHEN HEALTHY. Do the Cubs really need to rely on a goldmine sitting on a ton of dynamite? Cubs should trade Alzolay before his injuries catch up to him. I mean, I feel if he is healthy he can actually be a good enough closer to grab relief man of the year awards and some Cy young votes. If he stays healthy. He wont. The Cubs entire season lived and died on Alzolay pitching. We didnt make the playoffs due to his ailing body.

What a pickoff to end it!

Oooooops!!!

Skittles2100

Liked Posts:
Welp.......
I have 5 CCS members who need to bow down and eat some crow. Worst closer we have had in a while. This is BAD. He is tipping his pitches like he did when he was a starter. Alzolay about to go become a minor leaguer for his career

Skittles2100

Liked Posts:
Had to bump this again. My account was suspended as the admins called this post "Spam Posting". Seems like CCS was salty I was telling the truth. I know he tips his pitches as I have a friend in the MLB that has faced him 8 times. They know whats coming.....

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm unhappy with him.

But he has good stuff. If he is in fact tipping pitches, that would be good news, as it's fixable. But I have no reason to believe he is.

Given that it was Counsell and his staff in Milwaukee who recognized he Cubs tipping pitches, I'd be surprised.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm unhappy with him.

But he has good stuff. If he is in fact tipping pitches, that would be good news, as it's fixable. But I have no reason to believe he is.

Given that it was Counsell and his staff in Milwaukee who recognized he Cubs tipping pitches, I'd be surprised.
I didn't see it but yea, he has good stuff. That Miami guy had been super hot but he has a. closer or back end mentality. We see later.

Bust

Liked Posts:
4 blown saves already in april and the month is not over yet.

Maybe Adbert is not the guy afterall . . . hmmmmmmm

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
A lot of closers go through rough patches. I remember people shitting on Kimbrel to start his cubs career. Then he went on to be dominant for us

It sucks he’s blown some games, but I’m not ready to give up on him. That said…

I was all for the cubs adding a closer to the bullpen in the offseason with @Diehardfan Which would have slid Adbert to a set up role

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Welp.......
I have 5 CCS members who need to bow down and eat some crow. Worst closer we have had in a while. This is BAD. He is tipping his pitches like he did when he was a starter. Alzolay about to go become a minor leaguer for his career
How long ago was Carlos "gas-can" Marmol?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A lot of closers go through rough patches. I remember people shitting on Kimbrel to start his cubs career. Then he went on to be dominant for us

I was all for the cubs adding a closer to the bullpen in the offseason with @Diehardfan Which would have slid Adbert to a set up role
I thought setup was his best slot but more Chicago cheap ass ownership has him being forced fed as a closer. Sure, it's April....lots of games left...but the early games don't count any less than the late ones do. Each win is one less that you have to win later. But Alozay is not their top pitching problem....there is a slot for him somewhere....I need to know what they plan to do with Hendricks.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

A lot of people react to one month of a MLB season as though it is the entire season.

Nobody is happy with the results but he has been good previously.

As John Lackey mused about sports writers “They think there’s 162 separate seasons.”

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I thought setup was his best slot but more Chicago cheap ass ownership has him being forced fed as a closer. Sure, it's April....lots of games left...but the early games don't count any less than the late ones do. Each win is one less that you have to win later. But Alozay is not their top pitching problem....there is a slot for him somewhere....I need to know what they plan to do with Hendricks.

They have been giving Hendricks way too much rope. When I saw Brown in the pen following Imanaga all I was thinking was what a bone headed move. But maybe it will turn out for the best as the pen is a train wreck.

Steele just had a positive feedback from his bullpen work and should be getting rehab work in really soon. So I do believe that this situation will resolve itself by May. Tallion having a strong start really gave some options with the rookies. Adding Steele really puts it on Hendricks to outperform Assad.

Best case is Neris settles in as the closer and Brown becomes that high leverage set up that is needed. Azolay I'm not sure what is the problem but Counsell pretty much demoted him to low leverage situational pitching. He faired better with out the game pressure high and I just see this as a time issue. As far as him going back to the 9th I don't feel it right now. He has something to prove to get a shot at it.

So over all this series should have been a sweep. That is the part that I dislike. They are aggressive and got to Hendricks early in the count before he could settle in. Kyle should have led with his curve when things started to spiral as that pitch was his best offering. Instead he went with his 2 and change and they were on it. So going forward he really needs to up his curve usage to keep them from sitting on his other offerings.

I do believe that he is pretty much done unless he becomes a curveball pitcher going forward.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
They have been giving Hendricks way too much rope. When I saw Brown in the pen following Imanaga all I was thinking was what a bone headed move. But maybe it will turn out for the best as the pen is a train wreck.

Steele just had a positive feedback from his bullpen work and should be getting rehab work in really soon. So I do believe that this situation will resolve itself by May. Tallion having a strong start really gave some options with the rookies. Adding Steele really puts it on Hendricks to outperform Assad.

Best case is Neris settles in as the closer and Brown becomes that high leverage set up that is needed. Azolay I'm not sure what is the problem but Counsell pretty much demoted him to low leverage situational pitching. He faired better with out the game pressure high and I just see this as a time issue. As far as him going back to the 9th I don't feel it right now. He has something to prove to get a shot at it.

So over all this series should have been a sweep. That is the part that I dislike. They are aggressive and got to Hendricks early in the count before he could settle in. Kyle should have led with his curve when things started to spiral as that pitch was his best offering. Instead he went with his 2 and change and they were on it. So going forward he really needs to up his curve usage to keep them from sitting on his other offerings.

I do believe that he is pretty much done unless he becomes a curveball pitcher going forward.
Before he (Hendricks) could settle in.

He hasn’t settled in or even come close.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Before he (Hendricks) could settle in.

He hasn’t settled in or even come close.

I guess it was a lower back issue going on where he couldn't follow through with his pitches. Injury has been a issue this year and Craig has been really good with inserting players into roles that make the team better.

Kyle is on his last legs as a player but when right he can get on a string of starts that teams can not hit him. Being it is a 162 game season and injury is a major player they will end up needing him right down the road.