Thoughts on Bears-Lions: Doing God's work

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The game wasn't as close as the score indicated. The Bears owned the Lions from beginning to end....

I know the Lions are an up and down team, but this win was important....getting a win in the division after the futility under Fox last year was important...

And this was Trubisky's best game as a QB.....I know he had better stats against TB, but Detroit was ranked 8th in yards given up against the pass. Trubisky completely shredded them from beginning to end. These were down field passes ripping apart the secondary. Trubisky averaged 11.8 yards per....

This is a prime example of why using stats without context is bad.

The Lions were without their ELITE top CB in Slay, and also down their top slot CB in Agnew. They literally were forced to use a backup Safety to cover the slot, it was so bad.

But it still was Tru Blue's best game...just not for the reason you mentioned...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a prime example of why using stats without context is bad.

The Lions were without their ELITE top CB in Slay, and also down their top slot CB in Agnew. They literally were forced to use a backup Safety to cover the slot, it was so bad.

But it still was Tru Blue's best game...just not for the reason you mentioned...

I know Slay was out, but Slay alone did not make them a top 10 team in pass defense....

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I know Slay was out, but Slay alone did not make them a top 10 team in pass defense....
A cb like Slay is a HUGE part of it, as he can shut down a WR by himself. But as I said, it was much more than just losing Slay...

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Rory, this is a damn good thread. I wanted to bounce it back to the first page.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really enjoyed the Bears rushing to the LOS to snap, then Trubisky settling down, checking the rushers, making changes to the play, taking his time then getting easy 1st downs. Nagy is boosting this kids confidence tremendously, just by putting him in positive situations like this, giving him more time to make pre-snap adjustments and reads.

This is done so that Nagy could see the coverage and relay audibles to Trubisky through his headset. McVay did this with Goff, as did Shanahan with Garoppolo.

nobull

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok

People wanted Cam over White. White is trash and will done after this season.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Watching Mitch dissect the the lions coverage at the line and then audible to the appropriate call was beautiful. This is the definition of progress. This is what it feels like to watch an offense that can actually take advantage of what the defense is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is done so that Nagy could see the coverage and relay audibles to Trubisky through his headset. McVay did this with Goff, as did Shanahan with Garoppolo.

Regardless, MT made much better decisions. Decisions on a level Bear fans have not seen in a long, long time. It appeared from the stands that MT made some changes on the Miller TD that got him so wide open and led to a TD.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

I thought the headsets cut off with 15 sec on playclock? I guess he gets a few seconds in though.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought the headsets cut off with 15 sec on playclock? I guess he gets a few seconds in though.

On the audible plays, they were hurrying up to the line almost immediately with 30 seconds to go on the play clock. Trubisky would bark hard snap counts for 5 seconds to try to illicit a tell from the defense. Then the play would be changed at the 22 second mark. I think Nagy was feeding him the adjustments.

CltMTPw.png

nnMRwgO.png

EE0FvNs.png

zx6G86g.png

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
All eyes on Mitch but I am far more concerned about the trash run game.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
On the audible plays, they were hurrying up to the line almost immediately with 30 seconds to go on the play clock. Trubisky would bark hard snap counts for 5 seconds to try to illicit a tell from the defense. Then the play would be changed at the 22 second mark. I think Nagy was feeding him the adjustments.

CltMTPw.png

nnMRwgO.png

EE0FvNs.png

zx6G86g.png

Running trips is an easy, quick sign of man or zone coverage. Nagy called this all game to help Mitch easily diagnose it

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Running trips is an easy, quick sign of man or zone coverage. Nagy called this all game to help Mitch easily diagnose it

It’s the exact same thing Sean McVay does. He runs the offense out immediately as the play clock starts, giving him a good 10-15 seconds to make adjustments and relay them to Goff. Goff went from making no changes at the line to making Peyton Manning type audibles almost overnight. So any changes made early in the clock are probably on Nagy. I’m sure Trubisky still has the go ahead to make any changes after the headset is cut off in the final 15 seconds of the clock.

1:13 of this video...

[video=youtube_share;SbLLyAj7wWw]https://youtu.be/SbLLyAj7wWw[/video]

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
People wanted Cam over White. White is trash and will done after this season.

remydat wanted Cam over Allen Robinson!

[video=youtube;dd5GyA89IyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd5GyA89IyA[/video]