Thoughts on David Montgomery this year?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Did you add big Bob Tonyan? I won multiple leagues that i had Monty as my #2 last year but my big waiver add was getting Tonyan in a couple of those leagues.
This is funny stuff. You won leagues in which you were every team because that's the only way you can win leagues. Even after you fix the other leagues and decline perfectly reasonable trades.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
D Monty is being raved upon by his running trainer, other coaches & players, and several Bears sources. He's got a monster chip on his shoulder (some say "boulder").
I feel like having 2 tackles better than shitty Leno/Massie will be a game changer. Also, the eventual Fields factor...hell, even Red Rocket is an improvement > Trubs/Foles.

Flip side: DM's also being faded by the larger media who expect his top 5 rushing yards to fall when Cohen comes back + better backups after him to split carries.

What do you guys think about Montgomery???

Not to go all FF here, but I also created a poll for this question as it relates to drafting him for my fantasy team: ?

Not trying to be a homer but actually win. It'd be cool if both are possible. ?‍♂️ He disappointed when I got him in 2019. Granted Nagy, Mitch, Leno/OL, all failed him and the team a ton so far.

I think he is gonna be slow.
I have several David Montgomery threads.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This is funny stuff. You won leagues in which you were every team because that's the only way you can win leagues. Even after you fix the other leagues and decline perfectly reasonable trades.
giphy.gif

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I totally missed on him in every league i was in and i was in 12 leagues last year. Definitely was kicking myself on that one but for some reason just didn't think he was gonna break out like he did.
I took the chance on him after his big breakout game while other “well known” players were available. I think I picked 9th or 10th in the waivers that week. Everyone was upset after he winded up having a great year haha

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I took the chance on him after his big breakout game while other “well known” players were available. I think I picked 9th or 10th in the waivers that week. Everyone was upset after he winded up having a great year haha
He was unbelievable and now U.Meyer fucked that whole situation up by drafting T.Etienne in the 1st round. I don't know which one to draft first but am leaning towards J.Robinson cause they're talking about using Etienne more as a WR. I know that could mean i should draft Etienne in my PPR leagues but Robinson was just too good. I'll take either as my #3 RB.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think now that dorkbears70 has learned how to post gifs he is losing valuable time he could be spending on GED study

He also creates leagues for fantasy football in which he is the manager of every team just so he can say he won a fantasy football league!

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He also creates leagues for fantasy football in which he is the manager of every team just so he can say he won a fantasy football league!
I know, I was in one. He vetoed Keenan Allen for Sammy Watkins. I'd actually never been in a league where a commissioner vetoed any trade between consenting members

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
You were the first to ever use the word burner, i don't think anyone ever said he was all the sudden gonna have sub 4.3 40 speed, simply that he thinks he's gonna be faster this year.
And you’re gonna notice how? Do you keep a stopwatch out while watching football games?

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It'll be interesting to see what the Bears run game looks like this year. Monty finished strong in 2020 but from what I remember the first couple of games last year the run game looked good to start. We ran 28 times against the Lions for 149 then 32 times against the Giants for 135.

Then reality hit when we played better run defenses (28 yards against Colts and 35 against the Bucs). We lost Cohen against the Falcons and then James Daniels against Tampa.

The line looked better during that late season surge but the run game wasn't the same against better competition. We didn't run as effectively against the Packers and we couldn't run at all in the playoffs against the Saints.

Jenkins should be an immediate upgrade over turnstile Charlie. Daniels should be an improvement over Bars. Depth looks better on paper and hopefully we'll see some chemistry from the line during camp and preseason.

Personally, I'd like to see is Nagy commit to running Montgomery 15 times a game *and* utilize him more in space in the passing game. He may not be a home run threat, but he's so difficult to bring down in the open field that we'll get explosive plays on his broken tackles.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
It'll be interesting to see what the Bears run game looks like this year. Monty finished strong in 2020 but from what I remember the first couple of games last year the run game looked good to start. We ran 28 times against the Lions for 149 then 32 times against the Giants for 135.

Then reality hit when we played better run defenses (28 yards against Colts and 35 against the Bucs). We lost Cohen against the Falcons and then James Daniels against Tampa.

The line looked better during that late season surge but the run game wasn't the same against better competition. We didn't run as effectively against the Packers and we couldn't run at all in the playoffs against the Saints.

Jenkins should be an immediate upgrade over turnstile Charlie. Daniels should be an improvement over Bars. Depth looks better on paper and hopefully we'll see some chemistry from the line during camp and preseason.

Personally, I'd like to see is Nagy commit to running Montgomery 15 times a game *and* utilize him more in space in the passing game. He may not be a home run threat, but he's so difficult to bring down in the open field that we'll get explosive plays on his broken tackles.
I’m guessing Nagy will commit to over using Cohen

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
On one hand I trust our offense to be more efficient once Fields is the starter and therefore more opportunities for our running backs to thrive.

At the same time, I feel Nagy will fumble around with Cohen back in the lineup and having a guy like Damien Williams to throw in the mix. Plus we all know Nagy abandons the run and isn't good at setting it up or scheming it.

Overall I think he is an above average back and has the potential to perform at a top 5 level for spurts, but just not in our offense.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
On one hand I trust our offense to be more efficient once Fields is the starter and therefore more opportunities for our running backs to thrive.

At the same time, I feel Nagy will fumble around with Cohen back in the lineup and having a guy like Damien Williams to throw in the mix. Plus we all know Nagy abandons the run and isn't good at setting it up or scheming it.

Overall I think he is an above average back and has the potential to perform at a top 5 level for spurts, but just not in our offense.
I think Nagy/Lazor did a better job at sticking with the run last season but the biggest issue was pulling Monty off the field when he got in a groove.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Nagy/Lazor did a better job at sticking with the run last season but the biggest issue was pulling Monty off the field when he got in a groove.
Nagy loves throwing a wrench into the works when the offense is rolling. Would really like to see him self scout and grow out of that this year.