Thoughts on Gleybar Torres

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The Yankees could be shopping the 24 year old shortstop who hit 38 homers 2 years ago.
He is obviously at an age where he can be fixed.

The odds are that the Yankees will be in play for Story, Correa, Baez or Seager.

It would make sense for the Cubs to give Torres a look to see what a trade for him would cost. He is still under control until 2025 and because of his struggles I doubt he wouldn't cost more than one top 30 prospect.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Really? Cubs will need a LH bat more because Davis in in Iowa now and a cup of Joe away. Then you are looking at CF, LF as the only LH hitters.

If Jed does anything it is targeting via trade or F/A LH bats as they are deep in RH talent.

I still think that trading Contreras and Hendricks would be a solid decision this winter. Get some control back that melds better with what they have. SP preferable.

Resign Chirinos and target Avila. If we get a DH it opens up PA's for them.

If a DH really returns then I would suggest Freddy Freeman. He is not going to cost the same as Seager. It pushes Frank to DH full time. Not a bad thing at all.

Another option is Brad Miller. SS/2B/1B. Allows David to move him around and keep a stable LH stick in the line up. This might be a realistic Jed move. If the DH takes hold then Jed can rotate the DH for a working off day.

The goal should be to have extra depth ready for when Davis promotes. He is going to be the everyday RF. He has been locked in there and now is in Iowa. So this is pending and will become a reality soon. Losing Heyward is not a bigf deal. Losing a LH bat means more.

So Adding Brad Miller. Keep Schwindel at DH more this way. Adds a LH stick between Wisdom and Davis. It works.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't worry about lineup construction right now. Right now we just need to collect talent, and later we can pick up some bats to add in more balance from the left side. Lots of things can change between now and 2023-24.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The trade is an interesting idea. As an SS, if there is someone else better, he can always move off the position.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't worry about lineup construction right now. Right now we just need to collect talent, and later we can pick up some bats to add in more balance from the left side. Lots of things can change between now and 2023-24.

Honestly they have hitting talent.

Let's say they trade Kyle and Contreras and resign Chirnos and sign Aliva.

CF Ortega. Split with Davis
DH Schwindel
LF Happ
3B Wisdom
1B Miller
RF Davis. Heyward starts and Davis to CF vs LH
SS Hoerner
C Aliva and Chirnos
2B Madrigal

Rotation

Sign a ace. Major investment here. This is where you think on Rodon
Azolay
Steel

Other two I believe Jed will sign bulk pitching and keep the 4-5 flexible. He will have Wicks and Kilian pending and I could see a shuttle going up and down until they are due.

It is not a bad team. Some talent in the pipe. Team can generate runs. Pitching is suspect but like I said Jed has a history of bulk buying arms.

My belief, well right now at least is Hendricks is in his decline and they need to sell. Ya when he is on is a pain to face. But when he is off well we see how that goes. Eyesore day and a waste of a 7 run inning.

After that the pen needs a flush out. There are a few working parts but most need to go away.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I hope NL get DH and cubs sign schwarber and Freeman. The lineup would be really competitive. But I know that isn't likely.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I hope NL get DH and cubs sign schwarber and Freeman. The lineup would be really competitive. But I know that isn't likely.

I'm not against that at all. I'm not sure if Kyle would return.

Not to mention where do you plug people? Frank has mashed. Happ is not shit. Davis pending. Something has to give and adding 2 bats will push 1 bat out. As of right now Frank and Ian are assets not hindering the team.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Not to mention where do you plug people? Frank has mashed. Happ is not shit. Davis pending. Something has to give and adding 2 bats will push 1 bat out. As of right now Frank and Ian are assets not hindering the team.
Schwindel at DH and I would still give Happ the boot.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If I had to say one guy to bring in and cost was not a issue.

Seager. Push Hoerner to 2B and make Mad the DH. He is a fringe D and you want a stronger keystone.

But Miller makes more sense. Can play SS, 1B, 2B. Makes the IF more flex and can give guys DH days where they can work in the cage between PA's.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Happ for Torres?

Double change of scenery? I wouldn't give up on either and it could be a cheap upside get for both clubs.

What are Happs home run projections with a full season in New York?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Happ for Torres?

Double change of scenery? I wouldn't give up on either and it could be a cheap upside get for both clubs.

What are Happs home run projections with a full season in New York?

I think that I would rather keep Happ over Torres. The Cubs really are lacking LH mashers. When Davis gets up Heyward is out.

Schwarber is a bit of a reach. Jed gave him the boot. I doubt that he will resign. So pipe dream.

Happ is in hand and LF is open for him now. It is his best D position.

If you are going to target anyone it should be Wisdom. 40% SO rate. Yes he mashes and that sells on the market.

I am partial to Seager still. If Jed walks away with trading Hendricks and Contreras then uses that payroll to sign Rodon, Seager, Alvia, retain Chirinos I would be good going into 2022. I would like to see a 1 year deal for a SP. Who is a good back of the rotation arm on the cheap? Corey Kluber would be amazing. Michael Wacha might be more reasonable to ink.

Regardless I am holding to Jed buying bulk pitching and depending on the CBA. If it is 29.5 for F/A the get Davis up ASAP to max out control.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe Schwarber is better without the "wind blowing in." And day games.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I still think that you target Brad Miller.

This is a upgrade to Happ. He can play SS. He has done everything but catch to date. That is gold.

That is a guy that I can plug and play and push the main player into a DH day thus giving him a fielding day off with out losing the bat.

This is my ideal situation.

Ortega CF
Schwindel 1B
Happ LF
Wisdom 3B
Miller swing man.
Davis RF
Avila C
Hoerner SS
Mad 2B.

That is basically a wash with trading Contreras for pitching depth.

Then they target 1 SP. Rodon would be a solid opt.

The rotation would look like:

Rodon
Hendricks
Azolay
Steel
Mills

After that target 2 pen arms.

To be honest this is a 120M team. They could target a 2nd SP and push Mills to the pen also.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Spoiler alert: Happ has more value than Frank

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I don’t want to underestimate Frank but if anyone thinks the future of this team changes on Frank they are positively nuts

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The mailman has posted some crazy shit but here's the list of guys he wants with the ages they will hit by sometime next season.....

Ortega 31
Frank 30
Wisdom 31
Aliva 35
Miller 31
Chirinos 38

And then sign a guy who has been hurt every single season to be the ace....

This sounds like a Gar/Pax 10 year rebuild plan to me.

I really don't get the point of schlepping together an old 70 win team.

Hopefully, the Cub front office feels the same way and decide to bite the bullet.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don’t want to underestimate Frank but if anyone thinks the future of this team changes on Frank they are positively nuts

Time will tell. The same could have been said about José Antonio Bautista

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The mailman has posted some crazy shit but here's the list of guys he wants with the ages they will hit by sometime next season.....

Ortega 31
Frank 30
Wisdom 31
Aliva 35
Miller 31
Chirinos 38

And then sign a guy who has been hurt every single season to be the ace....

This sounds like a Gar/Pax 10 year rebuild plan to me.

I really don't get the point of schlepping together an old 70 win team.

Hopefully, the Cub front office feels the same way and decide to bite the bullet.

When you decide to make a better suggestion then I will start to value your opinion.

Until then you are just another fan in the stands.

And yes I love my job. Get to be outside and meet people. Get paid well. Retirement plan with pension. Protected by a union.

Better than a burger flipper.