Titans looking to trade down?

Luke

Liked Posts:
Just some GBN gossip but could affect the 9th pick if true..

With the start of the 2024 draft now just over 8 days away and counting, there does seem to be a bit of an uptick in the noise around next week’s event. On the one hand, more than one team out there is watching and waiting for a decision from the league on any possible resolution of the allegation that Atlanta tampered with free agent QB Kirk Cousins prior to signing him away from Minnesota when the new football year kicked off in March. There has been some speculation that if the Falcons were indeed found to be guilty of the alleged transgression, the compensation could involve them being forced to flip the 8th and 11th picks in next week’s opening round with the Vikings. Needless, to say if that were to happen it would put Minnesota in that much better position to move up into the top 5 in order to acquire a QB. For its part, the league is simply saying at this point that the investigation is ‘ongoing.’ Some of the other stories that we’re following:

There appears to be a growing sense around the league that Tennessee would really like to trade down from the 7th pick in order to acquire another pick or two. The Titans do have 8 picks this year, but three of them are in the 7th round and they actually only have two selections within the first 100 picks having traded away their 3rd rounder. The Titans primary need in this year’s draft appears to be LT and they would likely miss out on a shot at Notre Dame’s John Alt if they did move down very far; however, OT also appears to be one of the 2024 draft’s strongest positions and Tennessee would have options at the position pretty much right thru the first round. And with top prospects like Alt, along with at least one of the top WRs, Georgia TE Brock Bowers, and Alabama ER Dallas Turner among others available at the 7th pick, Tennessee might not have all that much trouble finding someone willing to deal.

There also appears to be a similar story unfolding in Denver. The Broncos had been very much interested in the possibility of trading up into the top 5 in order to take one of the top QBs, but have reportedly backed away once they saw the cost of such a move. The Broncos could still sit where they are and hope to perhaps select Michael Penix or Bo Nix, the leading second-tier QB prospects at #12, but it sounds like if they had their druthers they would also consider trading down from the 12th selection to accumulate more picks. And lord knows the Broncos could use some picks after trading away a bunch in order to acquire QB Russell Wilson and head coach Sean Peyton . Like Tennessee, Denver also has 8 picks this year, but 5 of them are in the 5th and 6th rounds and they don’t have a second rounder.

New England threw out a bit of a curveball yesterday when the Patriots, who are widely expected to take either of QBs Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye with the 3rd pick overall, had Michael Penix in for a visit earlier this week. That set of some speculation that just maybe they might still be considering a trade down. The NY Giants did something of the same thing themselves this week when they had QBs Bo Nix and Spencer Rattler in for late visits. The Giants have been another team that has been talking to teams with top 5 picks about the possibility of trading up from the 6th pick, but like Denver may have balked at the price if any of the picks they were targeting were even actually in play and may now be thinking of pivoting to the position in the second or third round.

Every year it seems there is a highly-rated QB who lasts a lot longer on draft day than had been predicted. Last year, for example, Will Levis wasn’t selected until the second round, while Malik Willis lasted well into the third round the previous year. Of course, there’s no rule that has to happen every year, but there is a bit of a buzz that more than one team with an early pick and a big need at the position has started to ask themselves ‘tell me why is it we like this guy?’ about JJ McCarthy. Of course, McCarthy has been one of the more polarizing prospects this year literally from the moment he announced he was entering the draft after leading Michigan to the national championship. For a lot of teams, though, McCarthy’s great strengths have always been his intangibles rather than his physical tools and question whether he has the NFL arm to fit passes into the tight windows one has to fit them into in the pros. Time will tell!

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just some GBN gossip but could affect the 9th pick if true..

With the start of the 2024 draft now just over 8 days away and counting, there does seem to be a bit of an uptick in the noise around next week’s event. On the one hand, more than one team out there is watching and waiting for a decision from the league on any possible resolution of the allegation that Atlanta tampered with free agent QB Kirk Cousins prior to signing him away from Minnesota when the new football year kicked off in March. There has been some speculation that if the Falcons were indeed found to be guilty of the alleged transgression, the compensation could involve them being forced to flip the 8th and 11th picks in next week’s opening round with the Vikings. Needless, to say if that were to happen it would put Minnesota in that much better position to move up into the top 5 in order to acquire a QB. For its part, the league is simply saying at this point that the investigation is ‘ongoing.’ Some of the other stories that we’re following:

There appears to be a growing sense around the league that Tennessee would really like to trade down from the 7th pick in order to acquire another pick or two. The Titans do have 8 picks this year, but three of them are in the 7th round and they actually only have two selections within the first 100 picks having traded away their 3rd rounder. The Titans primary need in this year’s draft appears to be LT and they would likely miss out on a shot at Notre Dame’s John Alt if they did move down very far; however, OT also appears to be one of the 2024 draft’s strongest positions and Tennessee would have options at the position pretty much right thru the first round. And with top prospects like Alt, along with at least one of the top WRs, Georgia TE Brock Bowers, and Alabama ER Dallas Turner among others available at the 7th pick, Tennessee might not have all that much trouble finding someone willing to deal.

There also appears to be a similar story unfolding in Denver. The Broncos had been very much interested in the possibility of trading up into the top 5 in order to take one of the top QBs, but have reportedly backed away once they saw the cost of such a move. The Broncos could still sit where they are and hope to perhaps select Michael Penix or Bo Nix, the leading second-tier QB prospects at #12, but it sounds like if they had their druthers they would also consider trading down from the 12th selection to accumulate more picks. And lord knows the Broncos could use some picks after trading away a bunch in order to acquire QB Russell Wilson and head coach Sean Peyton . Like Tennessee, Denver also has 8 picks this year, but 5 of them are in the 5th and 6th rounds and they don’t have a second rounder.

New England threw out a bit of a curveball yesterday when the Patriots, who are widely expected to take either of QBs Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye with the 3rd pick overall, had Michael Penix in for a visit earlier this week. That set of some speculation that just maybe they might still be considering a trade down. The NY Giants did something of the same thing themselves this week when they had QBs Bo Nix and Spencer Rattler in for late visits. The Giants have been another team that has been talking to teams with top 5 picks about the possibility of trading up from the 6th pick, but like Denver may have balked at the price if any of the picks they were targeting were even actually in play and may now be thinking of pivoting to the position in the second or third round.

Every year it seems there is a highly-rated QB who lasts a lot longer on draft day than had been predicted. Last year, for example, Will Levis wasn’t selected until the second round, while Malik Willis lasted well into the third round the previous year. Of course, there’s no rule that has to happen every year, but there is a bit of a buzz that more than one team with an early pick and a big need at the position has started to ask themselves ‘tell me why is it we like this guy?’ about JJ McCarthy. Of course, McCarthy has been one of the more polarizing prospects this year literally from the moment he announced he was entering the draft after leading Michigan to the national championship. For a lot of teams, though, McCarthy’s great strengths have always been his intangibles rather than his physical tools and question whether he has the NFL arm to fit passes into the tight windows one has to fit them into in the pros. Time will tell!

I’d trade down too instead of taking Joe Alts twin brother, John. The value just isn’t there for John.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Maybe but I think its more likely they stay at 7 and take the best LT prospect of both this and probably the last draft as well.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is this chat gpt summary accurate:

With the 2024 draft approaching, there's speculation about potential trades and controversies. Atlanta faces allegations of tampering with Kirk Cousins, which could affect draft picks. Teams like Tennessee and Denver are considering trading down to acquire more picks. New England and the NY Giants have surprised by hosting visits with unexpected quarterback prospects, indicating potential trade or drafting strategies. There's also buzz around JJ McCarthy, a polarizing quarterback prospect, with questions about his NFL readiness.

ndgt10

Liked Posts:
Yep, I think Tennessee would rather have Fashanu + Bowers as opposed to just Alt.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Cant wait till the draft, another thread started about an article from a website that is on 2005 geocities level.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The Titans primary need in this year’s draft appears to be LT and they would likely miss out on a shot at Notre Dame’s John Alt if they did move down very far; however, OT also appears to be one of the 2024 draft’s strongest positions and Tennessee would have options at the position pretty much right thru the first round.

@DanielCCSBears thoughts?

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Finally hearing noise about the Vikings moving up in the 1st rd. They traded with the Texans to get pick 23. They have a ton of talent on the offense. O'Connell is actually a pretty good offensive minded coach. They don't have a long term solution at QB in the locker room.
Starting to hear a lot of noise regarding the Vikings moving up to #2 to get their QB. This makes a lot of sense. The Vikings have 2 picks in the 1st rd this year, a 1st rd pick next year. The Patriots have a new GM and HC. Their offense needs a lot of help. It makes sense for them to stockpile high picks now instead of throwing a top QB pick on that offense.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Finally hearing noise about the Vikings moving up in the 1st rd. They traded with the Texans to get pick 23. They have a ton of talent on the offense. O'Connell is actually a pretty good offensive minded coach. They don't have a long term solution at QB in the locker room.
Starting to hear a lot of noise regarding the Vikings moving up to #2 to get their QB. This makes a lot of sense. The Vikings have 2 picks in the 1st rd this year, a 1st rd pick next year. The Patriots have a new GM and HC. Their offense needs a lot of help. It makes sense for them to stockpile high picks now instead of throwing a top QB pick on that offense.
The Pats are at 3.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
If Alt is there and they trade down, I think it’s a bad move.

Plugging Alt in next to Skoronski would create a formidable left side.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
You are correct, sir

The Vikings do have the resources to make this happen. Anyone buying in to the rumors
I think they’re moving up too. Also, I’ve heard that Sean Payton is getting itchy to move as well. They’ve burned so much draft capital recently which makes me wonder if he would get the green light to move from ownership.

Luke

Liked Posts:

Perhaps the OT's on the Titans board are all graded pretty close.
Lets say that AZ does trade down to 11 and wants to move back up for WR3.
The Titans just may prefer 11, 66 and 104/something else compared to Alt at 7.
I don't want this to happen, as it screws the Bears out of a WR, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Thats why I'm really hoping the NYG trade up to 4.
Keeps WR a possibility for the Bears and screws Minny over on JJ. Win/win

ndgt10

Liked Posts:
How people still believe 3 WRs won't go before 8 is beyond me.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I’ve heard enough negative stuff about Alt now that I wonder if fans are higher on him than NFL teams are. There’s also a ton of OTs available

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I don't know why its such a foregone conclusion the Titans are going Alt. Petit-Frere was above average at LT as a rookie in 2022, got hurt and only played in 3 games (117 total snaps) in 2023 because of a shoulder injury and season-ending surgery, and people are looking at the singular game where he had a tough time (injured in the 1st quarter, mind you) against TJ Watt (2 sacks, 2 pressures given up). Jaelyn Duncan looked lost at LT taking over, as did Andre Dillard, so naturally I can understand that if you examine Tennessee from a distance, doing the bare minimum with no additional research as most lazy fans/pundits would, I can see why one would say LT was a problem.

I LOL when the same lazy people, to fit their preferred Mock Draft scenario--just put a guy on a team so the bears/whomever their team is can get closer to the guy said poster wants them to take because nobody wants to look at what's best for Tennessee, just what checks a box. Tennessee was middle-of-the-pack in 2022 for OL (ranked 15-18 depending on what site you look up for OL rankings), and last year was bottom 3, by the same standard.

I wonder if their starting LT getting hurt (along with being banned 6 games for violating gambling policy), and only playing 117 snaps in 3 games had ANYTHING to do with that...I also haven't read anything to the effect that NPF won't be the same when he's healthy (if there's an issue and it's rotator-cuff specific then its a different discussion, but we've heard nothing that NPF has a rotator cuff injury). They have Radunz, Skoronski, NPF, (all three guys drafted in early rounds over the past 3 years) and now just bought Lloyd Cushenberry.

Maybe them wanting to trade down is genuine, and they're banking on a QB falling. Although candidly, part of me wants to see them take a WR to spite the mock draft arteests who long for Odunze, Nabors, or MHJ. The same idiot fans saying 'draft a WR early/trade up for one in the top 10' will then use their own logic against them, saying 'But they have Ridley and Hopkins!' The same way the bears have DJ Moore and Keenan Allen blocking a potential top 10 draft pick, but foolish logic won't be a 2-way street, so it only makes sense for the bears to do that for a young QB, not someone else with a much older WR duo.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I’ve heard enough negative stuff about Alt now that I wonder if fans are higher on him than NFL teams are. There’s also a ton of OTs available
Wow, really?

The NFL Network has experts on every day including several ex-GMs. I haven’t heard a single one suggest he’s not a fantastic prospect and OT1.

Where are you reading this?

Just interested…

Luke

Liked Posts:
Wow, really?

The NFL Network has experts on every day including several ex-GMs. I haven’t heard a single one suggest he’s not a fantastic prospect and OT1.

Where are you reading this?

Just interested…

I did see Mueller say that he doesn't like a 6'8 OT. (actually closer to 6'9)
Brugler calls him Jake Matthews in Nate Solders body.
who knows.

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I don't know why its such a foregone conclusion the Titans are going Alt. Petit-Frere was above average at LT as a rookie in 2022, got hurt and only played in 3 games (117 total snaps) in 2023 because of a shoulder injury and season-ending surgery, and people are looking at the singular game where he had a tough time (injured in the 1st quarter, mind you) against TJ Watt (2 sacks, 2 pressures given up). Jaelyn Duncan looked lost at LT taking over, as did Andre Dillard, so naturally I can understand that if you examine Tennessee from a distance, doing the bare minimum with no additional research as most lazy fans/pundits would, I can see why one would say LT was a problem.

I LOL when the same lazy people, to fit their preferred Mock Draft scenario--just put a guy on a team so the bears/whomever their team is can get closer to the guy said poster wants them to take because nobody wants to look at what's best for Tennessee, just what checks a box. Tennessee was middle-of-the-pack in 2022 for OL (ranked 15-18 depending on what site you look up for OL rankings), and last year was bottom 3, by the same standard.

I wonder if their starting LT getting hurt (along with being banned 6 games for violating gambling policy), and only playing 117 snaps in 3 games had ANYTHING to do with that...I also haven't read anything to the effect that NPF won't be the same when he's healthy (if there's an issue and it's rotator-cuff specific then its a different discussion, but we've heard nothing that NPF has a rotator cuff injury). They have Radunz, Skoronski, NPF, (all three guys drafted in early rounds over the past 3 years) and now just bought Lloyd Cushenberry.

Maybe them wanting to trade down is genuine, and they're banking on a QB falling. Although candidly, part of me wants to see them take a WR to spite the mock draft arteests who long for Odunze, Nabors, or MHJ. The same idiot fans saying 'draft a WR early/trade up for one in the top 10' will then use their own logic against them, saying 'But they have Ridley and Hopkins!' The same way the bears have DJ Moore and Keenan Allen blocking a potential top 10 draft pick, but foolish logic won't be a 2-way street, so it only makes sense for the bears to do that for a young QB, not someone else with a much older WR duo.
There are plenty of professionals that worked in front offices across the NFL that are placing Alt with Tennessee. What’s their agenda?

Did someone kick you in the balls this morning? There is plenty of vitriol in that post.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I did see Mueller say that he doesn't like a 6'8 OT. (actually closer to 6'9)
Brugler calls him Jake Matthews in Nate Solders body.
who knows

Randy Mueller’s top ten players regardless of position…

I guess the 6’8” doesn’t bother him too much!

Here’s his commentary on his top ten.

“As we approach the 2024 NFL Draft, things are coming into focus from 30,000 feet and the worm’s-eye view. Here are a few thoughts on how things are shaping up for decision-makers around the league.

This draft offers plenty of options for teams with offensive needs. The defensive players at the top of this year’s pool are so limited in quality and quantity that a defensive player might not be taken in the top 10. I have only one on my list — it is otherwise dominated by quarterbacks, offensive tackles and wide receivers.

1. Caleb Williams, QB, USC​

For my money, he is the prize of the ball. He’s talented and capable of wowing evaluators at the premium position in the game. He’s an easy one to evaluate and value, two entirely different things. His selection makes sense on all fronts. Some have tried to pick his intangibles apart, but as I told some NFL scouts the other day, this talent level is rare and hard to find. Let’s not talk ourselves out of what we see on tape.

2. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame​

I’m not looking for 6-foot-8 tackles, but this guy doesn’t play like a 6-foot-8 tackle. As a left tackle, he can bend and play with balance, and he is athletic enough to stay connected and off the ground — as a pass protector and in the run game, on the line of scrimmage and at the second level. Mike McGlinchey is another tall Notre Dame tackle who struggled at times with pad level because bending and engaging one’s lower-body strength is much harder for tall, linear frames. But Alt plays like he’s 6-5 and has enough anchor and strength in his base to be a more effective NFL player.

Brugler has Alt in his elite “purple chip” category.