Toews shocked at direction Blackhawks are going

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Each offseason for the past 3 years you and I have had the same discourse: you get jacked up with the new players coming in and crank up the line blender, and I remind you that no matter how you blend it there is not enough talent on the team to compete.
Yes, I agree with you now.

If Suter and Lapierre hit and strome/cat bounced back, maybe we could have been close with a goalie in 2021...

I hope Racheil proves me wrong and is the best German of the era. I love his first step for the PK and forecheck presence, I just would have gone for the chance of a grand slam there and hoped you got lucky with the injury rather than invest in German hockey with a first at this point in their progression.

Please prove me wrong, but it reeks to me of a smartest guy in the room mistake.

Germans can be very smart, we will see if that can produce a great one. But I think that hope is chasing after fools gold. It's never clear why one freak intelligence like Peyton Manning or Wayne Gretzky translates to functional sport domination, and another type of genius is completely lost.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You've got a classic hockey god kid(Lapierre) from a hockey obsessed nation, and a classic hockey goon meat head testosterone fueled kid(Schneider)from a hockey obsessed nation, and we go after the smart kid "outthinking" his opposition from the slo-motion twilight zone hockey league of a budding hockey nation.

For me it was the last straw with bowman. I like the kid, Im sure the kid is a great prospect, but this was extraordinairely stupid.

Then we follow it up with a goalie reach in a deep draft.

Yeah...your right. WE'LL never get good enough again like this.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Seabs is a proud guy. Following his surgeries, he got ready to compete in the play-in, but dropped out when he didn't feel like he was ready. When the new season begins, he will try his best, again, and if his play isn't up to his standards, he will call it quits. No reason to push Seabs out the door or attempt to trade him after what he has done for the Hawks.
Seabs has been nothing less than spectacular for the Hawks, he was a key cog in achieving all those Cups, they don’t win without him. His leadership on and off the ice, those overtime game winners, but the reality is, this is not on Seabs. Stan handed him a massive contract and honoured him for what he had done for the team since the start, but took in zero insight to what the future holds in terms of the cap. Many argue the cap should of been around 90 million, if that was the case Seabs contract wouldn’t be an issue but it is. His 6.8million cap hit has proven to be a huge issue, it has choked the team, but once again this is on Stan not the player, with a cap hit such as that you expect a certain level of play and for Seabs that will not happen, his best days are way behind him.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
You've got a classic hockey god kid(Lapierre) from a hockey obsessed nation, and a classic hockey goon meat head testosterone fueled kid(Schneider)from a hockey obsessed nation, and we go after the smart kid "outthinking" his opposition from the slo-motion twilight zone hockey league of a budding hockey nation.

For me it was the last straw with bowman. I like the kid, Im sure the kid is a great prospect, but this was extraordinairely stupid.

Then we follow it up with a goalie reach in a deep draft.

Yeah...your right. WE'LL never get good enough again like this.
This years draft was a direct reflection of what Stan has been doing since the start, he rode the coattails of Tallon, took the fame for the championships and now is taking the team down to the bottom for another GM to come in and clean up the mess. He is lost, he must surely know that eventually his time will run out, but the age old question is when.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seabs is a proud guy. Following his surgeries, he got ready to compete in the play-in, but dropped out when he didn't feel like he was ready. When the new season begins, he will try his best, again, and if his play isn't up to his standards, he will call it quits. No reason to push Seabs out the door or attempt to trade him after what he has done for the Hawks.
This. This is how it's done...he went through three surgeries in a short period and the painful rehab associated with them...you don't just pitch him out the door now because the numbers don't add up. You let him come back to camp and you trust a guy who has put the team first to continue to do so and tell you that he's not up to the standard he expects of himself on the ice.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seabs is due 27.5M bucks and I'd bet Mrs Seabs has plans for that money.....LOL,I doubt he walks away.....maybe the last year.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seems to be a pattern.....

The Marks bros and the big Russian are decent acquisitions but are they better than Saad Maata and Caggiula? The big Russian can play phyisical but why would anyone think that's gonna be allowed here,Murphy was a tough SOB before he got here too.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Seems to be a pattern.....

The Marks bros and the big Russian are decent acquisitions but are they better than Saad Maata and Caggiula? The big Russian can play phyisical but why would anyone think that's gonna be allowed here,Murphy was a tough SOB before he got here too.
Zadorov is known thru out the league as a hitting machine. He lead the league in hits and concussions given one year.

If they brought him here to pussify his game they're doing it wrong.

I really think Stans idea is to change the system into the system JC wants, which is a strong, forechecking style like he developed in Rockford.

More like "hey, we did it JC's way last year at the beginning but the players didn't like it, so let's play pond hockey. Now, you have no choice but to play JC's way because he's getting rid of the floaters and half assers"

This team is better equipped currently to play grind house hockey.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah but....

After everything Zadorov said on Twitter, that they have plans on playing him big minutes, you gotta think somebody is on the move.

Scratch off Seabs. He isn't going anywhere and hopefully he's press boxed the entire year. I get the vibe JC doesn't like Seabrook and honestly he's at a point, unless medical science has evolved to the point to take away ten years off his body, he would be a better teacher then actual player. I used to think limited minutes would make Seabs effective. Nah. His only service would be as a PK'er only because he doesn't have to move as much and will still push people out of the crease.

But just like Seabrook, I don't think anybody will take CDH without a huge sweetener attached.

Murphy shouldn't be traded. So that's probably who Stan will trade.

I do think Zadorov/Murphy would be an insane tandem tho. Murphy give Zadorov the room to play the rush and level people.
If Seabs is pressboxed for the entire year the 'hawks are eating 6.8M in cap. If Seabs is bought out they're eating something like 6M over the rest of his contract.

If JC rides him in the pressbox and Seabs plays hardball, it could/should be enough to finally get Bowman the Beancounter fired.

The thing you're 100% forgetting is that it takes 2 to tango. You'd think someone would be on the move. It doesn't work that way every time though. Remember the Khabi/Huet debacle? Right now every team knows Stan will want to shed a mid-pairing D-man--and will load the trade requirements. It may very well be a position where Stan cannot make a move, and once again the D is jammed preventing needed development. That's on Stan. If he wanted Zadorov that bad, he needed to dump someone else 1st.

Seabs is most likely not going to leave >20M on the table and retire. I have full faith he will get every chance, but he's still an old D-man and probably won't be any better than a 6th. That doesn't negate anything he's done in the past but in the here and now, we'd be paying 6.8M for a 6th D-man. That is not good no matter how you slice it.

Besides, let's assume Seabs is pissed off at JC and by proxy, Stan. How else would it be better to stick it to them than by remaining right where he is and bleeding the cap?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Do the Hawks even have a retention slot left?
I guess I didn't realize they were limited to the number of times they could retain I just assumed it was limited by the value being retained as it pertains to the percentage of the cap and what issues that caused. I know they retained Saad, and I feel like someone else too recently? But I don't know who else is still on the books either.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
This years draft was a direct reflection of what Stan has been doing since the start, he rode the coattails of Tallon, took the fame for the championships and now is taking the team down to the bottom for another GM to come in and clean up the mess. He is lost, he must surely know that eventually his time will run out, but the age old question is when.

S C H O O L E D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 2002, after picking Anton Babchuk in the first round — another Russian player! — Smith selected Duncan Keith in the second round (54th overall). James Wisnieweski (fifth round) and Adam Burish (ninth round) were also Chicago selections in 2002, who each enjoyed solid NHL careers.

Smith’s picks were even better in 2003. In the first round, he selected Brent Seabrook 14th overall and then took Corey Crawford in the second round (52nd overall). Perhaps his best pick, in terms of value, was nabbing Dustin Byfuglien in the eighth round (245th overall).

Just look at some of the other players the Blackhawks could’ve had instead of those franchise fixtures. The two players selected after Keith were Denis Grot and Vladislav Yevseyev. Neither made it to the NHL. After Seabrook came center Robert Nilsson and forward Steve Bernier, who both reached the NHL but never became top-line players like Seabrook. After Crawford? Evgeny Tunik, another player who never made it to the NHL.

Next time that Bowman/Tallon debate rages somewhere, feel free to point out that neither GM was responsible for picking the top D pairing for three Stanley Cup-winning NHL teams and the goaltender who was in net for two of them.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

In 2002, after picking Anton Babchuk in the first round — another Russian player! — Smith selected Duncan Keith in the second round (54th overall). James Wisnieweski (fifth round) and Adam Burish (ninth round) were also Chicago selections in 2002, who each enjoyed solid NHL careers.

Smith’s picks were even better in 2003. In the first round, he selected Brent Seabrook 14th overall and then took Corey Crawford in the second round (52nd overall). Perhaps his best pick, in terms of value, was nabbing Dustin Byfuglien in the eighth round (245th overall).

Just look at some of the other players the Blackhawks could’ve had instead of those franchise fixtures. The two players selected after Keith were Denis Grot and Vladislav Yevseyev. Neither made it to the NHL. After Seabrook came center Robert Nilsson and forward Steve Bernier, who both reached the NHL but never became top-line players like Seabrook. After Crawford? Evgeny Tunik, another player who never made it to the NHL.

Next time that Bowman/Tallon debate rages somewhere, feel free to point out that neither GM was responsible for picking the top D pairing for three Stanley Cup-winning NHL teams and the goaltender who was in net for two of them.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You could also stretch really far and say Smith drafted the guy that fooled the Flyers into parting with Patrick Sharp; the trade that was the NHL version of Broglio for Brock, with Chicago on the good side of it this time...

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

You are right, I totally forgot about Smith who was the real catalyst in getting things going for the Hawks, but he was not the only only one. Tallon played a huge part as well.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

Jack-ass Lantern you lost all credibility with your schooled nonsense.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
You are right, I totally forgot about Smith who was the real catalyst in getting things going for the Hawks, but he was not the only only one. Tallon played a huge part as well.

It's not that you forgot...it's just that BANDWAGON fans like yourself didn't follow the Blackhawks til they became good and there are a slew of them on this board.

!!!!!!!!!!!!SCHOOLED!@!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:
It's not that you forgot...it's just that BANDWAGON fans like yourself didn't follow the Blackhawks til they became good and there are a slew of them on this board.

!!!!!!!!!!!!SCHOOLED!@!!!!!!!!

Project much? Lol

What that article fails to mention -- and that you wouldn't know because you don't know "jack" shit -- is that Tallon drafted Toews, Kane, and Hjalmarsson; acquired Sharp in one of the best Blackhawks steals of all time from Philly; and signed Marion Hossa. And he was director of player personnel when Crow was drafted.

Do yourself a favor and go back to the Bears board before you humiliate yourself like last time.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Project much? Lol

What that article fails to mention -- and that you wouldn't know because you don't know "jack" shit -- is that Tallon drafted Toews, Kane, and Hjalmarsson; acquired Sharp in one of the best Blackhawks steals of all time from Philly; and signed Marion Hossa. And he was director of player personnel when Crow was drafted.

Do yourself a favor and go back to the Bears board before you humiliate yourself like last time.

this dude salty, better listen to him

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Project much? Lol

Here's another one now!! I need more to show up!!!!

SCHOOOLED!!!!

giphy.gif