Tom Thayer has an interesting perspective regarding Teven

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They were on the score and it was Tom Thayer, Jeff Joniak, Mike Mulligan, and David Haugh, and they were discussing where everyone plays given now the new blood in the offensive line.

Thayer had an interesting idea. The discussion was around whether Teven would end up as a left tackle or a right tackle. Thayer had the idea that it's entirely possible that Teven ends up at right tackle but because of how he plays they could structure the offense to be more right handed instead of left handed in order to play behind strength, which effectively takes what the typical NFL offense is and flips it horizontally across the field. In that scenario, Teven would effectively be the left tackle but on the right side.

Not saying this what is what will happen but I found that an incredibly fascinating idea and concept. I could imagine it would be potentially disorienting for other NFL defenses as well.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Run behind the strength, the fat, mean uglies. I get it.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
They were on the score and it was Tom Thayer, Jeff Joniak, Mike Mulligan, and David Haugh, and they were discussing where everyone plays given now the new blood in the offensive line.

Thayer had an interesting idea. The discussion was around whether Teven would end up as a left tackle or a right tackle. Thayer had the idea that it's entirely possible that Teven ends up at right tackle but because of how he plays they could structure the offense to be more right handed instead of left handed in order to play behind strength, which effectively takes what the typical NFL offense is and flips it horizontally across the field. In that scenario, Teven would effectively be the left tackle but on the right side.

Not saying this what is what will happen but I found that an incredibly fascinating idea and concept. I could imagine it would be potentially disorienting for other NFL defenses as well.

I have no idea what this means. Flip what? He lines up at Right Tackle, he's a Right Tackle. Are they saying they'll put the tight end on the weak side? Teams flip formations like that all the time, no team just lines up the same way in that regard. This makes no sense to me.

Left tackle's protect the blindside and generally are lined up opposite the defenses best pass rusher. None of that will change by lining up tight ends and receivers in different spots.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I have no idea what this means. Flip what? He lines up at Right Tackle, he's a Right Tackle. Are they saying they'll put the tight end on the weak side? Teams flip formations like that all the time, no team just lines up the same way in that regard. This makes no sense to me.

Left tackle's protect the blindside and generally are lined up opposite the defenses best pass rusher. None of that will change by lining up tight ends and receivers in different spots.

Most teams run the offense a certain way with formations and receivers favoring a side of the field.

Usually that is the left side because your left tackle is the one who's most relied upon in pass protection.

That doesn't mean you can't have people off to the right but there's certain schematic things that usually are done favoring the left side and using the left side as a reference.

You usually do not see a flip unless the quarterback happens to be left-handed.

And even then sometimes you don't.

Thayer though happens to be pretty plugged in.

It could be that internally nagy is discussing flipping it into a more right-handed offense.

It would be a little bit of a challenge at first for our guys who have been playing instinctively to the left their whole careers but if they can get it down, it has the potential to really fuck with the league. Almost everyone growing up playing football plays in a left-handed style system. All their instincts and all their traits come from that.

If Tom is right and the Bears can pull it off, now you have teams you are going against who are going to have their instincts screwed with. It literally would be like riding with your right hand all your life and then being asked to write with your left. It could get defenses to have to stop and think which could slow them down and give you an advantage.

I get how it seems like something just very minor especially since there are wide receiver packages that line up on either side, but the way time was describing it, it actually would have a significant impact just because it's going against the grain of what every NFL player has been instinctively taught.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:

I’ve played football at the college level. I’ve coached for 10 years. I’m an avid fan and, like you, have no fucking clue what they are talking about.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Smart. Kinda like how Nagy keeps calling run plays to the short side of the field and sitting Montgomery and Graham in the red zone??

Note that Jenkins interviewed & said he's been training at LT all off-season to be versityle.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Somebody better check Thayer for CTE

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Well, a LT is there to protect the blind side of your right handed QB, in theory a stud should be able to handle anything thrown at him and your QB is comfortable knowing that. Thus if your QB is left handed your RT would assume that role. Usually your right tackle is the run mauler nasty guy. Just to clarify things

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Our o-line already has enough issues with blocking assignments. I couldn't imagine flipping anything on this group.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I’m assuming he’s talking about putting his first read on the left side. With the QBs eyes flipping left first, the RT is covering the blind. Nothing flips on the line... not sure wtf he’s talking about there.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Most all teams run and roll right. Tua would be an exception. Does Thayer want outlets to drift left instead of right, LOL?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Now more then ever is a great time for them to not overly complicate things. Maybe he straight up can be a LT, maybe he can be a 10+ year starter at RT. Either is great for them. But id rather see him be a great RT than a below average LT, if that's what he's projected to be.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The entire premise of this thread is the biggest problem with football: the need to overcomplicate things.

How about they put Teven in the spot where his talent is going to come out the most, and help the team win? I know that's a "simple" plan, but it seems fairly effective.

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
i had teven in my mock because he looks like my overgrown 15 year old who plays the same spot
mel kiper kiss my ass jk
love the pickup though
they didnt draft a line for mitch like that
however mitch isnt no justin fields ??

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe Anthony Miller would end up in the right spot on pass plays.

It'll be nice to have a QB who can find him when he is open though too. Probably less diva fits if the WRs are fed appropriately when they work.

+ Teven will cuss out Miller the first time he quits on a block just the same.