Tomorrow's Headline - Shocking News: The Bears cut ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh..neither of them are anything special.

I mean there not starters...but how does Steltz have a spot over him for sure when he has barely played, compare to a healthier player (Al)?

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just don't understand why everyone wants Wolfe to be cut?? Do you guys just not pay attention to kick and punt coverage?

Peterson and Shaw are gone, Wolfe is invaluable IMO.

I agree and that's why I think Wolfe stays and Bell goes. There is no question that Bell is a better running back, but he can't play special teams. He would be good to have if Forte or Taylor gets hurt, but if that happens, I think you just give the healthy back more carries. With Shaw gone I think they have to keep Wolfe.

Both Shaw and Iwuh are ST stars, and they must've thought that Iwuh was more valuable as Briggs's backup. ...

I think that's exactly what they thought.

He played 15 games last year and had 30 tackles. That was a franchise record and I agree USC, they will pay for it.

Actually, I thought he played 14 games last year which is even more impressive. The thing is that Iwuh can do everything Shaw does and play linebacker effectively. With the Bears adding a RB (Taylor) a TE (Manumaleuna) and a QB (Collins) They only have so many spots to work with. Shaw, sadly, is just a victim of too much depth at one position. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets picked up on waivers, but I predicted he would be cut last night and it makes sense.

They are going to have to cut a few players that could make an NFL roster on some teams (LB, RB, maybe TE) and keep some players that would be cut on most teams (OL for example).

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean there not starters...but how does Steltz have a spot over him for sure when he has barely played, compare to a healthier player (Al)?
Steltz can cover and play ST. Afalava is terrible in coverage and isn't good on ST

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Steltz does contribute on special teams very well but will never be worthy of starting at safety. He is a backup tweener and always will be. Steltz may be slow and not as physical but he gets the smarts and positioning of the position which equally matter in the scheme.

For Shaw, having special teams tackles isn't the biggest thing in the world. Not like you scourer the sights looking for a guy to do it, it's replaceable, the team hasn't had many coverage issues in special teams. They can even get a 5'7" 185 lbs Wolfe to get down and tackle good on the unit. The blocking a player does matters more for your true special teams desired stars, it just isn't as highlightable.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Steltz can cover and play ST. Afalava is terrible in coverage and isn't good on ST

Steltz does contribute on special teams very well but will never be worthy of starting at safety. He is a backup tweener and always will be. Steltz may be slow and not as physical but he gets the smarts and positioning of the position which equally matter in the scheme.

For Shaw, having special teams tackles isn't the biggest thing in the world. Not like you scourer the sights looking for a guy to do it, it's replaceable, the team hasn't had many coverage issues in special teams. They can even get a 5'7" 185 lbs Wolfe to get down and tackle good on the unit. The blocking a player does matters more for your true special teams desired stars, it just isn't as highlightable.

What those two above said basically is what makes Steltz more valuable. Steltz main problem was he's just slow and doesnt have speed. To me, he looked like he has the smarts to play as a coverage safety, the problem is he cant stay up with speedy receivers and thats what creates a problem for when he's actually in the game. I think he'd be fine in Red Zone defense situations though.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I had my own 53 man roster for the Bears and I had Wolfe, Al, and Shaw making the team.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree and that's why I think Wolfe stays and Bell goes. There is no question that Bell is a better running back, but he can't play special teams. He would be good to have if Forte or Taylor gets hurt, but if that happens, I think you just give the healthy back more carries. With Shaw gone I think they have to keep Wolfe.

I think that's exactly what they thought.

Actually, I thought he played 14 games last year which is even more impressive. The thing is that Iwuh can do everything Shaw does and play linebacker effectively. With the Bears adding a RB (Taylor) a TE (Manumaleuna) and a QB (Collins) They only have so many spots to work with. Shaw, sadly, is just a victim of too much depth at one position. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets picked up on waivers, but I predicted he would be cut last night and it makes sense.

They are going to have to cut a few players that could make an NFL roster on some teams (LB, RB, maybe TE) and keep some players that would be cut on most teams (OL for example).

I got that stat about Shaw from here: Twitter / Brad Biggs: Tim Shaw set franchise rec ...

regoob2

Liked Posts:
Wolfe needs to go away. RB is far to important of a position to waste our #3 spot there on a player who cant play that position.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Thank God you don't work for the Bears

But I also has tons of other players.

I had Al over Bullocks because he's more healthier.
I had Wolfe over Bell because of ST.
I had Shaw because he's one hell of a ST.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:

Thanks. I thought I read in an article that he played in 14 games, but when I went to double-check, it said he joined the team in week 2 and I guess I remembered it as "he missed the first 2 weeks."

This is weird. I don't recall ever making a mistake before! I must be getting old.

I thought I made a mistake once ... but I was wrong. :)

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Either Jarron Gilbert or Henry Melton will be cut, wonder which it will be

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marcus Harrison, Kahil Bell, Tim Jennings
:lmao:
He's a lock to make the team. He's one of the only Bears players who can play UT and NT.

But I also has tons of other players.

I had Al over Bullocks because he's more healthier.
I had Wolfe over Bell because of ST.
I had Shaw because he's one hell of a ST.
:rofl:
Bullocks is more talented than Afalava, which isn't saying much. Afalava contributes nothing on ST, Bullocks does. Bullocks can play FS, Afalava can not and never will be able to.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
For Christs Sake people... Special Teams really? People are bitching because we cut players who can contribute on ST??? Really? There are far better players that can actually contribute on offense and defense AS WELL AS SPECIAL TEAMS that we kept.

Special Teams isn't our problem. Offense and Defense is.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
LMAO
You act like being healthy is the end all be all for players. Steltz is much more talented than Afalava and he's solid on ST. Steltz can cover and has the smarts and instincts to be an adequate starting safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.