Trading back into the first. Should the Bears do it?

chitownbears88

CSS Resident Curtis Enis
Liked Posts:
No. 14 is a good spot to be in. Plenty of talent available to get a quality starter. The second round and third round are the rounds I can see us move up in.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Who says this is the deepest draft ever? Thats ridiculous.

Thank jeebus nfl GMs aren't victims of the 4 month draft hype machine (hopefully anyway).

Here's the Steelers GM saying so, for him anyway....

Here's an article showing a record 98 underclassmen in this draft....

And even Mayock chiming in with his best in a decade ........

:flipa:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Trading down is for idiots and morons.*It's about better players not more players. The Bear's history of trading down is very bad

That's an idiotic thing to say.

You don't trade down ahead of time. You only trade down when your pick is up or close to it, and you see either: a) several players you want, so you know you'll get one, and/or b) you see no player at your spot you feel is worth that pick, and you can add a pick by moving down.

You can't make a general statement that trading down (or trading up) is idiotic. But often an individual move (usually UP) can be.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Yeah, how many times over the last 20 years have we heard the "deep draft" bullshit? A lot

It's a p[roven fact that the higher a player is drafted the better. That's why the Pro bowl isnt full of 7th rounders

People that advocate the trade down/more picks are really saying throw more shit against the wall and see what sticks

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The question posed was "Should the Bears trade back into the first?"

Obviously, it depends upon who is there and where they move up TO. But the scenario in the OP was to trade back for #15. That will be too high a cost. But trading back into the bottom of the first may make sense when the time comes. And grabbing a guy who has fallen at the end of Round 1 is easier than at the top of Round 2, since all teams have the night to regroup since they are on separate days.

As i said earlier, depending on who is there, we may trade up, we may trade down. Too early to tell.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
You can't make a general statement that trading down (or trading up) is idiotic.
ahhhh..... yes you can. It's a statistical fact that players drafted higher have netter careers than those drafted lower

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
We have three options:

We can trade up
We can trade down
We can stay at 14

chitownbears88

CSS Resident Curtis Enis
Liked Posts:
ahhhh..... yes you can. It's a statistical fact that players drafted higher have netter careers than those drafted lower

but but but Tom Brady.............

Remember outlier data is fact here.

chitownbears88

CSS Resident Curtis Enis
Liked Posts:
We have three options:

We can trade up
We can trade down
We can stay at 14

We could let the time on the clock run out and end up really picking 15 and not getting any compensation.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
The Bears should trade down 3-6 spots in the first round and acquire an additional pick or two (2nd round pick, 3rd round pick, 3rd and 4th round pick, etc.) and then they can trade a couple for another first round pick.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've looked at it both ways, trading back and trading BACK IN to the first, and I can see it working both ways.

BUT, this being such a deep and talented draft (yes, LOTS of people have said it lately) I don't see them trading back into the first. I do think that if they have a short list of say FIVE GUYS that they think are ELITE, players they MUST TAKE at #14, and all of them are gone? they could say, "well, since there's nobody we're IN LOVE WITH but there are another SIX that we really like...let's move back and get some extra picks."

The first three rounds have a LOT of serious talent, players I can see starting right away, or very soon.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes and every morning the sun comes up. Doesn't make it a good idea to trade down. Fuck the walmart coupon cutter approach to the first round.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
such a bunch of horseshit.

That say the same nonsense every year. Its about ratings.

what i can tell you is if i look at the ratings of the players, there are MORE players in the 90-100 (elite) level than i've seen in a long time. there are also more in the 80-90 level (great) and more in the 70-80 (good) than i can remember. i don't know about past 30 years, but in the 10 years or so that i've been playing fantasy football and watching football with a closer eye, there does seem to be a lot of talent, and a lot of depth.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Depending on whether or not we re-sign Melton, Wooton, and Tillman, the Bears need to draft either a safety, CB, or DT with the 14th pick. That's a lot to pick from considering how deep this draft is.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I see a lot of players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that I really like, to help us at DT, CB, and S. BUT, just for fun, should we take a run at it?

#14 is valued at 1,100. Let's just say we get Donald there.
#15 is valued at 1,050, with picks down to #20 at 850.

It would cost us our 2nd (#51) valued at 390 + 2015 2nd (let's just say also 390) plus a third round pick at 114 gets you to about 894.

Is it worth it to give up those picks to come back up for the #15th-20th pick? What if that meant Ha Ha or Pryor or Gilbert to go with Donald?

Obviously these numbers are not exact, I'm taking a few liberties.

I guess what I'm saying is would you rather have Donald and one of HaHa/Pryor/Gilbert or Donald and Bucannon and McGill?

Most likely we'll move BACK from #14, especially if the guys we love are gone, just an idea.
No we absolutely can not trade away any picks with how much we need. This is a strong draft class to where Emery could find instant starters with our 1st,2nd and 3rd round picks (fingers crossed). If anything i think we should trade down and collect picks.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
NONONONONONONO

Goddammit

The Bears need studs on D. As in top 5 players. In less than 2 years, there won't be a single standout player left on D. And because of all the expensive talent on O, the bears will not be in the market for top FA defenders anymore. They HAVE to come from the draft.

People like the idea of trading down because there is this fantasy of a ninja drafter that can find two studs instead of just one. Its a fucking fantasy. Once you are out of the top 15 in the draft, the likelihood of getting a stud is reduced to almost nothing.

Don't try any ninja bullshit. Just draft the highest rated player on your board at 14 ffs.
this post is fantasy.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LB is not where we need to draft. We definitely need CB/S, as well as DT, and maybe DE. I expect most picks to be on defense, and I see a lot of talent in the first three rounds, and beyond. We may take a C late, and may take a RB late, but I expect most of the picks will be on defense. I don't see them taking a LB in the first three rounds.