Trading up for Tunsil

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I know there have been threads about trading up for Wentz and Ramsey. So, bare with me.

With the Rams and Eagles likely taking quarterbacks, the loser in these moves is Laremy Tunsil, the best player in this draft. Lot of people in the draft community believe the Chargers will select Tunsil, but I don't think so. They just gave King Dunlap and Joe Barksdale hefty deals last year and this year respectively. It is deem unlikely they will cut one of them as it will leave them with a hefty cap hit. Plus, Eric Weddle bolted to the Ravens, which leaves a huge hole for them at safety. In the end, I believe they will take either Ramsey or Buckner. That means Tunsil will most likely fall to the Jaguars (Cowboys aren't taking him) and I don't think they'll select him either as they just signed Kelvin Beachum and paid Jermey Parnell last year a hefty deal. That leaves them wide open to make a move and I think the Bears should be the team to do that.

I have mentioned a potential trade for Tunsil before on here and have gotten some criticism because he's not "worth" trading up even though he's on Tyron Smith's level. :lmao: He's worth spending assets on, trust me. The Bears will not be picking in the top ten next year, probably not even top 15. They probably won't be getting anybody of his caliber next year anyways. So, why not do it?

Thoughts?

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Is he THAT much better than Stanley or Conklin?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Tunsil's good but I don't think he's the best player in the draft.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Not that I am advocating trading up but yes. He is considerably better than any tackle prospect that has come out in a long time.

Tough to think he slips past the Chargers at #3 in that case. We just have to pray that someone reaches for Lynch in the top 10 now.

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know there have been threads about trading up for Wentz and Ramsey. So, bare with me.

With the Rams and Eagles likely taking quarterbacks, the loser in these moves is Laremy Tunsil, the best player in this draft. Lot of people in the draft community believe the Chargers will select Tunsil, but I don't think so. They just gave King Dunlap and Joe Barksdale hefty deals last year and this year respectively. It is deem unlikely they will cut one of them as it will leave them with a hefty cap hit. Plus, Eric Weddle bolted to the Ravens, which leaves a huge hole for them at safety. In the end, I believe they will take either Ramsey or Buckner. That means Tunsil will most likely fall to the Jaguars (Cowboys aren't taking him) and I don't think they'll select him either as they just signed Kelvin Beachum and paid Jermey Parnell last year a hefty deal. That leaves them wide open to make a move and I think the Bears should be the team to do that.

I have mentioned a potential trade for Tunsil before on here and have gotten some criticism because he's not "worth" trading up even though he's on Tyron Smith's level. :lmao: He's worth spending assets on, trust me. The Bears will not be picking in the top ten next year, probably not even top 15. They probably won't be getting anybody of his caliber next year anyways. So, why not do it?

Thoughts?

So why make a whole new thread again about the same thing?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Tough to think he slips past the Chargers at #3 in that case. We just have to pray that someone reaches for Lynch in the top 10 now.

I am betting SD trades out. My guess is to the Titans who get Tunsil (their guy all along) and SD is happy to accrue picks.
Both teams win in that one.

regardless- I bet SD trades out with SOMEONE.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I am betting SD trades out. My guess is to the Titans who get Tunsil (their guy all along) and SD is happy to accrue picks.

Yep, that's looking increasingly likely.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I look at the King's ransom it has taken to move up so far and I just don't think anyone left is worthy of that price tag or even slightly less. The only position I'd really have liked to see us trade up for is QB and that ship has sailed...

I'm kinda jealous of the haul Tenn and Clev got out of those trades. Makes me kinda hope someone would come knocking for #11 say for EE given the overall depth of this draft. Of course, making that move would all depend on who is still OTB come #11. If it isn't Buckner, Bosa, or Ramsey, I'd be more inclined to drop a tad and grab Lawson, Dodd, Reed, or Rankins.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Thoughts?

You're assuming multiple teams pass on the BPA.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

So the Titans are going to give up all the picks they just accrued so they can move up and pick Tunsil at 3? That's what it is going to cost. They set the market. That sounds ludicrous...

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
You're assuming multiple teams pass on the BPA.

If I had to rank the following in terms of probability they will happen...

1-Someone trades with Chargers for #3 and selects Tunsil
2-Chargers pick Tunsil at #3 (their O-Line was awful last year)
3-4-6 pick Tunsil
4-We trade up to #5-6 to get him
5-He falls to #7 or worse where I think Pace might start to consider a trade for three or four players (Bosa, Buckner, Tunsil, Ramsey)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So the Titans are going to give up all the picks they just accrued so they can move up and pick Tunsil at 3? That's what it is going to cost. They set the market. That sounds ludicrous...

They traded out of #1, not #3. It won't cost as much as what they gave. Far fewer suitors for the #3 right now than there were for #1 a week ago.

And if they gave up some of what they got, and drafted the same guy as they were going to at #1, they are far better off than had they stayed at #1. This seems simple to understand.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
They traded out of #1, not #3. It won't cost as much as what they gave. Far fewer suitors for the #3 right now than there were for #1 a week ago.

And if they gave up some of what they got, and drafted the same guy as they were going to at #1, they are far better off than had they stayed at #1. This seems simple to understand.

That's true but surely you have to look at the trades separately. Those picks are yours now, does the deal make sense in isolation?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That's true but surely you have to look at the trades separately. Those picks are yours now, does the deal make sense in isolation?

Agreed. But I wouldn't call it crazy to think they may do it.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

So you think it is now going to magically cost a lot less to move from 15 to 3? That's simply foolish. They would have to give up the majority of what they received if not all of it. Charger fans are glad you're not their GM.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

Yup. They will view those extra picks now as if they had them all along. They would only trade back to 3 if THAT trade was favorable to them. If it is not favorable to them, they won't do it even though they come out "net ahead".