Trey Lance breakdown

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
BY CIAN FAHEY
@QBDataMine

Trey Lance is Josh Allen

Some draft analysts are about to show themselves up.

Trey Lance is a Josh Allen calibre and style of prospect. His primary value comes in his athletic ability, he's got a huge arm and that's about it. He doesn't throw with accuracy to any level of the field and doesn't show off the kind of nuanced understanding of the position that you want to see from your starting quarterback.

It's very difficult to justify a dismissal of Lance if you celebrated Allen. And many, many analysts celebrated Allen in spite of his obvious flaws.

Furthermore, Lance is playing at NDSU. NDSU can also be referred to as Carson Wentz's school. The level of competition that Wentz faced was never a big component of the conversation when he was coming out. It rarely even got mentioned in any discussion of his outlook.

It's very difficult to justify a dismissal of Lance if you celebrated Wentz. And many, many analysts celebrated Wentz in spite of who he played against.

A cursory google search of notable draft analysis content revealed both of those issues are coming up for Lance. The explanations aren't exactly convincing.

Talking up Lance isn't the answer here.

Lance doesn't look like an NFL quarterback either. He's very, very similar to Josh Allen despite protestations from Chris Simms. Outside of the mental testing and whiteboard tests that coaches run with prospects privately, everything we can see about Lance's skill set is what we saw in Allen's skill set.

CandidAdorableBellfrog-size_restricted.gif

Lance had 288 pass attempts in college and ran the ball 177 times. His offence was run-heavy to the extreme and he was at the center of their running game. He has a very broad skill set as a runner. Like Cam Newton, he will be an effective power runner between the tackles in the NFL. Like Allen, he will excel when the play breaks down and he scrambles.

The offence that brings Lance in will at the very least be able to run a package of plays with him early in his career. He's unlikely to ever be a straight dropback passer but he can potentially develop his passing at a later stage while still providing immediate value as a runner.

In the above long touchdown, the most impressive part is how he escapes past the immediate defenders. Those are slower defensive linemen but they had an angle to close on him at the line of scrimmage. Lance's acceleration was impressive.

His long speed then allowed him to reach the endzone. Of course, this is against James Madison athletes and not NFL athletes.

That was a staple of his game in college. He could turn runs that should have gained some yards into huge gains. The defence had to fear giving up conversions on Third-and-Long to Lance as a runner more than they did as a passer. That probably won't be the case in the NFL, he's not Lamar Jackson, but there will be a need to gameplan for what he can do as a ball carrier.

Instead of Allen or Wentz, Taysom Hill might make more sense as a comparison for the immediate stages of Lance's career.

UntidyWeeklyKillerwhale-size_restricted.gif

The NDSU passing game was built off of the run. It was a simple, limited design that heavily relied on misdirection and play action. Throwbacks to an uncovered receiver after rolling the pocket to the opposite side of the field were the primary way in which the passing game created big plays.

Hitting tight windows or throwing with anticipation weren't features of Lance's passing profile. He also rarely showed off an understanding of the leverage of the coverage he was throwing into.

On the above interception, Lance uses play-action and looks for his receiver down the seam. The deep safety never bought on the fake and Lance never checked his positioning. That allowed the safety to read his eyes and undercut the ball easily.

Plenty of quarterback prospects come out of simple schemes. The simple scheme in itself isn't the issue. The inconsistency executing it is.

EvenMammothEchidna-size_restricted.gif

The tight end is wide open on the back end of this play fake. This is about as easy as it gets in terms of downfield throws in the NFL. Lance isn't even close. And that's the standard of his throws, not the exception.

HighlevelQuestionableHummingbird-size_restricted.gif

If your primary selling point as a quarterback prospect is your athleticism, you better be effective throwing on the move. Coaches can roll pockets for you or you can make up for mistakes inside structure by making plays outside structure late in the down. Lance didn't show that kind of command as a passer.

On this rollout his ball is so far off its intended target it almost looks like it was an intentional throwaway.

When Mitch Trubisky came out of college, he had no clue what he was doing in his offence and didn't play a lot. Trubisky similarly had great athleticism and a big arm. He and Lance will likely be compared but there was a clear difference between the two as Trubisky, while not being refined or consistent as a passer, had moments of exceptional accuracy.

It wasn't just that he showed off his big arm and created highlight plays, he had an ability to put the ball in the perfect spot to lead his receivers away from the coverage.

That gave you hope that Trubisky would develop into a stud on the next level. He might have away from Matt Nagy but chances are it was always unlikely. Lance doesn't even have those moments of excellence to offset his constant inaccuracy.

FlawedForcefulBasenji-size_restricted.gif

Prior to this miss in the James Madison game, Lance had two deep throws where the ball landed five yards infield of its intended receiver. This miss was actually the best of his misses because he got it to the right tramline just inside of the sideline. The ball was just overthrown by five yards.

Lance being able to generate this velocity so easily should in theory make it easier for him to be accurate. The fact that he's so far off so consistently suggests that he simply doesn't have that innate accuracy that the best quarterbacks have. He can't see the throw he's trying to make.

His mechanics can be pointed to as reason for optimism or further pessimism.

WideBigheartedHammerheadshark-size_restricted.gif

On this play, Lance's lack of awareness and slow process gets him in trouble. His elongated throwing motion makes it easy for the defender to knock the ball free. While this isn't technically a passing play, this is how Lance throws the ball. If his next coaching staff is able to change his mechanics, then maybe his accuracy gets better.

But changing a quarterback's mechanics is extremely difficult. Surpassed, that changing them is just the first step. Your quarterback needs to keep them there after they've learned a new method. Josh Allen did it for a year, that doesn't guarantee he'll continue to do it next year.

Tom Brady's consistency with his mechanics allowed him to extend his career into his 40s. Most quarterbacks are not as consistent with how they deliver the ball. For quarterbacks who start in a worse spot, the inconsistency has a greater impact game-to-game and season-to-season.

Along with a technical rebuild, Lance also needs to develop a mental profile of an NFL passer.

DevotedVapidAsianporcupine-size_restricted.gif

On this throw we can see an ineffective pass that highlights Lance's arm strength again. He should be intercepted as the ball lands too far infield and was released too late. More importantly, Lance threw to the wrong receiver. His shallow drag was turned loose underneath.

Lance actually pump fakes to that receiver before throwing into the coverage. That tells us he's not actually diagnosing what's happening in front of him and making assumptions with his decisions. His process is not what it needs to be.

Considering the defence was in man coverage here, he should have been anticipating the shallow receiver coming open. This isn't like picking an open receiver who the quarterback never had a realistic shot of seeing.

PowerfulEqualArctichare-size_restricted.gif

We also don't know if he can pick up blitzes. In the NDSU offence, the quarterback was a running threat and built into the running play designs so defences weren't getting to tee off on him with disguised coverages and blitzes all the time. When they did use disguises or blitz, it was easy to confuse Lance.

His eyes would go to the wrong side of the field, he wouldn't see his hot route and he'd move his feet before his eyes. Sometimes he could break the incoming tackle attempts but more often than not he just ran himself into problems that he could have thrown past.

If I didn't know that Lance was being discussed as a first-round pick I'd have assumed he was a late-round pick or moving position. The skill set just isn't there and there's far too much development needed to actually expect him to come good.

Maybe it happens. Maybe he follows the development path of those that have come before him.

The question is: What point in the draft does that hope become a worthy investment? Jalen Hurts was a second-round pick and a much better prospect. Third-round picks on quarterbacks are largely pointless because they never get real development opportunities and the cost is relatively high for that.

As such, Lance probably doesn't become worthwhile as a quarterback until the fourth round. But if you're trying to rotate an athlete into your established offence, then maybe you can justify a higher cost in the draft. Sean Payton loves his Taysom Hill change-up, so there is a blueprint there.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Chris Simms absolutely loves Josh Allen.
Took Buffalo 3 years to develop him. I was watching Allen in 2018 and saying to myself how raw he was. Got to give Buffalo coaches and Allen on his improvements. Unfortunately Nagy and Pace don't have the time to develop a QB like that. Pace literally needs to hit the jackpot with Dalton or a later round QB like Prescott, Carr, or Wilson.

My money is on Mills because he went to Stanford, ran an under 4.6, and has good arm talent. It all depends on if he can read defenses and diagnose where the ball should go to. Even though Brady was a 6th rounder, he did go to Michigan.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chris Simms absolutely loves Josh Allen.

Yeah, the article is trying to take a shot at Simms because he loved Josh Allen coming out yet he is not very high on Trey Lance. Simms claims they are not similar prospects because Allen had a bad supporting cast and played in a lot of bad weather games, that his college inaccuracy was more of a mirage.

Last edited:

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yeah, the article is trying to take a shot at Simms because he loved Josh Allen coming out yet he is not very high on Trey Lance. Simms claims they are not similar prospects because Allen had a bad supporting cast and played in a lot of bad weather games, that his college inaccuracy was more of a mirage.
I kind of see that since NDSU is a perennial powerhouse in Div 2 football. They do have the best coaching and athletes in div 2 football. Wentz dominated when he went there.

Josh Allen came from a lower end Div. 1 football team where the talent is not as good compared to their peers and coaching could be suspect.

I don’t know if Simms is right, but Lance’s circumstances are not the same as Allen’s.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
NDSU is Division 1, FCS, which used to be I-AA.

They could definitely play with a team like Wyoming and be competitive in that conference most years.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
do any of you believe Matt Nagy would have developed Josh Allen because I don't.

I just don't believe you can teach accuracy, I've coached hundreds of kids over the years and i think you can teach mechanics that help make a QB more CONSISTENTLY accurate, but not accuracy in and of itself. This is why Trubisky has always screwed with people's heads, because when he's on the run he can throw dots...it's counterintuitive, the vast majority of the QB world are less accurate on the run than in the pocket. I am going to keep an eye on Trubisky to see if Buffalo somehow develops him, if they do to me that's an indictment of Nagy.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just don't believe you can teach accuracy, I've coached hundreds of kids over the years and i think you can teach mechanics that help make a QB more CONSISTENTLY accurate, but not accuracy in and of itself. This is why Trubisky...

I actually took a lot of shit for saying some QBs (Mitch) are inaccurate and you cannot do anything about it.

Posters were going on and on about mechanics, footwork, even nerves...I sensed that Mitch wasn't going to be the guy in '18 because of his horrible overthrows...they didn't seem like a "correctable issue" to me.

For me, years of watching both football and baseball...if the guy made it to the pros and they're talking about footwork and mechanics...you've got a problem. The second they bring in outside help (personal coach) to correct mechanics or footwork ex. "balance your shoulders" - you can hang it up.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
In general it true, but Josh Allen getting more accurate in the NFL is an outlier.

I think trey Lance is similar, but I think he has more touch on the ball than Allen.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I actually took a lot of shit for saying some QBs (Mitch) are inaccurate and you cannot do anything about it.

Posters were going on and on about mechanics, footwork, even nerves...I sensed that Mitch wasn't going to be the guy in '18 because of his horrible overthrows...they didn't seem like a "correctable issue" to me.

For me, years of watching both football and baseball...if the guy made it to the pros and they're talking about footwork and mechanics...you've got a problem. The second they bring in outside help (personal coach) to correct mechanics or footwork ex. "balance your shoulders" - you can hang it up.
i agree with you, years ago i was home from work during the day ESPN classic played an old college game of Grossman vs Eli.....I was shocked to see Grossman had the same old bad habits from college in the pros...throwing while he was moving backwards etc....I've been watching QB tape and while i was in the zone I put on Trubisky vs. Stanford because I like to see how these kids play against better competition, and here was Trubisky being the Trubisky we all know. I specifically remember him overthrowing a wide open WR who likely would have scored and the announcer said "you CANNOT miss that throw as a QB", and i thought....hmmm...I have heard that before

how many of these guys drafted as a project REALLY turn into something? At this point I believe you have to approach a QB in the draft with the belief that they very likely are who they're always going to be. Obviously some adapt to the the ramped up speed of the pros, but they rarely make wholesale changes.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
NDSU is Division 1, FCS, which used to be I-AA.

They could definitely play with a team like Wyoming and be competitive in that conference most years.
They had one year, I think it was 2010 or around there where they beat Kansas State who ended up winning the Big 12. That year, Ken Pom had North Dakota St ranked as a top 25 team.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Unless the Bears trade into the top 10 and likely top 5, they are not getting Lance anyway. What is much more likely is they pull a smaller tradeup to grab Mac Jones.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
do any of you believe Matt Nagy would have developed Josh Allen because I don't.

I just don't believe you can teach accuracy, I've coached hundreds of kids over the years and i think you can teach mechanics that help make a QB more CONSISTENTLY accurate, but not accuracy in and of itself. This is why Trubisky has always screwed with people's heads, because when he's on the run he can throw dots...it's counterintuitive, the vast majority of the QB world are less accurate on the run than in the pocket. I am going to keep an eye on Trubisky to see if Buffalo somehow develops him, if they do to me that's an indictment of Nagy.

That was a good article

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
In general it true, but Josh Allen getting more accurate in the NFL is an outlier.

I think trey Lance is similar, but I think he has more touch on the ball than Allen.

If we see more of the Allen that we did in the playoffs, particularly against the Ravens/Chiefs, his season was likely a mirage

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Lance will be better if he can sit and get coached up for year but while I feel Fahey is being a bit harsh, he's not wrong overall. Trey's accuracy and ability to navigate a complex O are a concern. They all miss reads so finding examples like that are easy. The accuracy is a bit more concerning for a top pick and he did nothing on his pro day to dispel that. A question becomes, how much do you fix or just tweak? I think the Bears actually hurt Mitch by rebuilding him as much as they did and doing negative (anti mistake) coaching. Not that Mitch isn't at fault (twitchy, turtling) but you don't draft a guy to completely change his game or his approach to it.

I've made the Mitch compare but I don't see Lance doing the deer in headlights thing or becoming gun shy like Mitch did. If the 49ers take him, he'll sit for a year, get great, appropriate coaching and likely be successful. Feast or famine pick.

They're taking a QB. I see Fields and Jones as early starters and they are keeping Garoppolo this year. They could easily take Trey and give him the coaching he needs. It's too early a pick for him if you are just judging his game but Shanahan may see something that he feels he can correct in an appropriate manner and have his long term answer. The potential is there.

Last edited:

Luke

Liked Posts:
He should have been fired on the spot for that comment

I thought he should have been fired when he said "I didn't come here to run the I".
Yeah, they were having success with that and Nagy got rid of it.
that proved he was a stubborn jack ass and I immediately couldn't stand him after that.