Trubs #1 per Schefter

MeanMikeBrown

Liked Posts:
Young's Wonderlic score was like 7 so yes there was information. Watson graduated college in 3 years and has been an academic all american.

VY was reported to have scored a 6 initially, but that report was false and he actually scored a 16. Watson scored a 20.

The wonderlic isn't an indication of a person's leadership ability nor an indicator if they have football intelligence.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No fucking way we take Watson at 3 when he could still be there for us in round 2....

no fucking way he makes it to 36....I'll eat crow all year long if he does and be ecstatic about it...but just no friggin way with teams like Cardinals, Steelers, Texans, and then Browns, Niners all picking ahead of Bears at 36. No friggin way.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
C'mon man, every indication is Floyd is legit... Fuller isn't a disaster and White can rebound. That said, conceding the shiddy pick point, where do you think we are and how'd we get here? This is the end of the world... our franchise is effed for 5 years... and that was without drafting a QB. That setback a franchise endures from a bad 1st rounder is magnified when its a QB.

I get that you rarely get quality production from a QB's drafted in the later rounds... some of that is because they aren't afforded the same leeway that 1st rounders are, but that's not the point. You don't draft 2nd or 3rd round talent in the first round because 2nd or 3rd round QB's rarely perform.

If Pace thinks any of these QB's are 1st round talents, then we have bigger problems.

Fuller is close to being cut, White has an outside chance to be a WR2. I'm hopeful on Floyd though.

Our first round record is terrible.

I'm all argued out on the QBs.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
This is a good point. The thing that most people value in Watson is his intangibles and that he is a "winner". What happens if a bad team drafts him, like the Browns? You can no longer say he is a winner if he goes 4-12 could you?

Are there any QBs with great intangibles and/or the winner/it trait that have played on a bad team? Or is it all BS and something that QBs that are on great teams get labeled with?

If Clemson would of lost in the NC game where do you think he would be projected to be drafted at?

Having good intangibles, being a leader, working hard, wanting to get better, being coachable etc. is more important when you are on a bad team.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Clemson was nothing when he got there. He elevated them. He was just as good without the talent in 2015 as he was with it in 2016. He can elevate any team. I'm extremely confident about this.
WTF are you talking about?? The last time Clemson was "nothing" was in the late 90's!! In the last 8 years they finished in 1st place 5 time and 2nd place twice! They won there Bowl game for the last 5 years!

If you are talking about pace saying a QB that elevated his program then that was Nathan Peterman! Since Pitt moved to the ACC they always finished with a losing season, with Peterman they elevated to 8-5 both years.

Clemson has 11 players who most likely will be draft this year. In 2015 they were without 1, so they only had 10 NFL level players on the team. I don't think saying that equals "without talent"

Look at what Peterman had to work with. Pitt has what 2 players that will get drafted, in the late rounds? maybe 3? Tarheels have what 3 maybe 4 late round guys?? If you would take Pitt and Tarhills roster and combined them they still would not have the talent that Clemson had in 2015 let alone 2016 when they had the MOST TALENTED roster in the NCAA.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
WTF are you talking about?? The last time Clemson was "nothing" was in the late 90's!! In the last 8 years they finished in 1st place 5 time and 2nd place twice! They won there Bowl game for the last 5 years!

If you are talking about pace saying a QB that elevated his program then that was Nathan Peterman! Since Pitt moved to the ACC they always finished with a losing season, with Peterman they elevated to 8-5 both years.

Clemson has 11 players who most likely will be draft this year. In 2015 they were without 1, so they only had 10 NFL level players on the team. I don't think saying that equals "without talent"

Look at what Peterman had to work with. Pitt has what 2 players that will get drafted, in the late rounds? maybe 3? Tarheels have what 3 maybe 4 late round guys?? If you would take Pitt and Tarhills roster and combined them they still would not have the talent that Clemson had in 2015 let alone 2016 when they had the MOST TALENTED roster in the NCAA.

Yeah, I like Watson a lot but it is really stupid for him to say that Clemson was nothing without him.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Even if the bust rate is as good as 50-50..

If you look at it as a lottery prospective it would be like :

1st rd QB ticket if you hit its like a 100,000,000
1st rd edge rusher ticket if you hit its like a 10,000,000
1st rd CB ticket if you hit its like a 6,000,000
1st rd FS ticket if you hit its like a 5,000,000
1st rd SS ticket if you hit its like a 3,000,000

It should be a no-brainer you keep drafting QB in the first rd until you get one. Even if Garrett becomes Clowney he is not better then a Franchise QB.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Having good intangibles, being a leader, working hard, wanting to get better, being coachable etc. is more important when you are on a bad team.

Okay, but I think if you are not a leader, don't work hard, if you don't want to get better, and aren't coachable. Then I think you are un-draftable!! Are you suggesting any of the QBs in this draft, besides maybe Mahomes is any of these things?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lynch is an old school pro with a relationship with Thomas' family. He might not like Garretts attitude either.

Do the Bears take Garrett? lol. with Garrett/Fournete on the board though we could get our trade down wish, and still grab our safety/d-line pick at much better value.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I like Watson a lot but it is really stupid for him to say that Clemson was nothing without him.

Nationally they weren't. Even with Tajh Boyd they were a slightly better than mid level program, like Virginia Tech, but nowhere near being a top 5 team year in and year out, much less capable of beating Bama.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They were ranked 7th in 2013 and 9th in 2012 in the coaches poll.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lynch is an old school pro with a relationship with Thomas' family. He might not like Garretts attitude either.

Do the Bears take Garrett? lol. with Garrett/Fournete on the board though we could get our trade down wish, and still grab our safety/d-line pick at much better value.

I think if it goes 1. Trubisky 2. Thomas then the Bears should trade down, in the top 10 and still Watson, Hooker, Adams, Barnett in play. I really don't think Watson will get drafted in the top 10. I don't think Garrett is that much better then Barnett and Thomas, but I would want a lot of compensation.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you are talking about pace saying a QB that elevated his program then that was Nathan Peterman!

I guarantee you that if you polled every NFL GM the question "Which QB in the 2017 draft elevated their program the most", you would get 32 answers saying "Deshaun Watson". I get that you love Trubisky, but you've spent about 2 months now desperately trying to downplay everything about the best QB in the draft.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They were ranked 7th in 2013 and 9th in 2012 in the coaches poll.

7th in the entire NCAA is not exactly nothing. What was Pitt ranked?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nationally they weren't. Even with Tajh Boyd they were a slightly better than mid level program, like Virginia Tech, but nowhere near being a top 5 team year in and year out, much less capable of beating Bama.

Seriously, the Watson detractors are unreal. Nobody even mentioned Clemson in national conversation for years prior to 2015.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Okay, but I think if you are not a leader, don't work hard, if you don't want to get better, and aren't coachable. Then I think you are un-draftable!! Are you suggesting any of the QBs in this draft, besides maybe Mahomes is any of these things?

How many QBs just like that ARE drafted because they're 6'5" 230 lbs with a rocket arm? What i'm saying is that you take shots at "intangibles" alot while dismissing what people actually mean when they say it relating to Watson.

It's not just about being on a good team or winning, it's about how he got to that point. Give me someone with those qualities over douches like Cutler, or Rosen (next year) 10 times out of 10. The strange part is your argument hurts your guy Trubisky as well, who wouldn't be where he is right now if he wasn't considered to be a good teammate and bright kid.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Seriously, the Watson detractors are unreal. Nobody even mentioned Clemson in national conversation for years prior to 2015.

To be fair mick they were trending up quickly, but Watson put them over.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What? I like Watson too but damn..let's not go overboard. Before Watson got there, the starting qb was Tahj Boyd(drafted by the Jets in the 6th round) and he went 10-4, 11-2, and 11-2 as a starter. That can only mean that Clemson team was stacked with talent when you have a qb drafted in the 6th round who can get that kind of record.

Marquise Williams went un-drafted after leading UNC to an 11-3 record. So by your logic, the UNC team was stacked with talent when you have a QB go undrafted who can get that kind of record. And yet Trubisky's team did worse this year than Williams while Watson's team went to 2 National Championships.

So based on your logic, who do you think elevated their program more? The guy who went to 2 NCs or the guy that took an 11-3 team to an 8-5 record?