Two statistical notes from Tampa game...Trubisky and Bears LBs

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
1) Trubuisky 19-26, 354 yards 6 TDs

Even given the fact that the opposing defense was so bad that it was legitimately 'missing' Chris Conte, the explosion of Mitch Trubisky came as a complete shock to me. I thought the worst part of Trubisky's performances thus far wasn't really the lack of pocket presence, it was him being inaccurate on throws to wide-open WRs. Tampa didn't get any pressure on Trubisky, so I don't think we can really say he's improved his pocket presence, but I do think Trubisky was far more accurate in hitting the open man. He had a couple misfires early, but then he simply couldn't miss. He was amazingly consistent in his reads and throws, which was very impressive.

The 'summit game' for Bears QBs is Johnny Lujack's 1949 demolition of a tough Cardinals defense...468 yards and 6 TDs. Lujack led the NFL in passing yards and TDs in 1949, but he also played both ways and early in 1950 injured his shoulder while playing DB. He was probably the worst All-Pro QB in league history in 1950, earning 1st team AP honors despite a "Cutler-esque" 4 TD/21 INT differential.

Speaking of Cutler, he never threw for more than 4 TDs in any game during his long, undistinguished career. Perhaps even more incredibly, Cutler only had 4 games as a Bear where he threw for more than 354 yards. It almost goes without saying that Cutler never had a game with a rating as high as Trubisky's 154.3. My point is that while you can downplay Trubisky's accomplishment ("just one game", "bad defense", etc.), it's really an unprecedented game in Bears history. It deserves full credit, IMO.

What I liked best about the Tampa game is that it appeared to show the 'synergy' between Trubisky and Nagy, with the result being points on the scoreboard. Nagy's offense got pass targets into open spaces, Trubisky found the open targets with consistently accurate throws, and the Bears offense scored points. If there was one thing I disliked about the Jay Cutler Decade more than anything, it was that Cutler's offenses never scored points. Even in Cutler's relative 'good' seasons with Martz and Gase, the Bears offense was still pedestrian.

2) Bears starting LBs - Mack, Trevathan, Smith, Floyd

I guess this one is a bit dependent on nomenclature, as in some places I see Mack listed as a DE and in others I see him listed as an OLB. I still think of him as a 3-4 OLB. This starting group may be historically unprecedented...Mack, Smith and Floyd are all Top10 draft picks. I cannot recall any other LB group with 3 Top10 draft picks. That is amazing. This is kind of a backhanded compliment to Ryan Pace, but I think this shows that the NFL is designed for bad teams to eventually cycle back and become good. Teams like the Pats, Steelers, Packers, etc. haven't seen a Top10 draft pick in years, much less have 3 in one positional grouping. The positive of this is that the Bears defense is legit with elite talent...its not the smoke/mirrors job Fangio did in 2016.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
1) Trubuisky 19-26, 354 yards 6 TDs

Even given the fact that the opposing defense was so bad that it was legitimately 'missing' Chris Conte, the explosion of Mitch Trubisky came as a complete shock to me. I thought the worst part of Trubisky's performances thus far wasn't really the lack of pocket presence, it was him being inaccurate on throws to wide-open WRs. Tampa didn't get any pressure on Trubisky, so I don't think we can really say he's improved his pocket presence, but I do think Trubisky was far more accurate in hitting the open man. He had a couple misfires early, but then he simply couldn't miss. He was amazingly consistent in his reads and throws, which was very impressive.

The 'summit game' for Bears QBs is Johnny Lujack's 1949 demolition of a tough Cardinals defense...468 yards and 6 TDs. Lujack led the NFL in passing yards and TDs in 1949, but he also played both ways and early in 1950 injured his shoulder while playing DB. He was probably the worst All-Pro QB in league history in 1950, earning 1st team AP honors despite a "Cutler-esque" 4 TD/21 INT differential.

Speaking of Cutler, he never threw for more than 4 TDs in any game during his long, undistinguished career. Perhaps even more incredibly, Cutler only had 4 games as a Bear where he threw for more than 354 yards. It almost goes without saying that Cutler never had a game with a rating as high as Trubisky's 154.3. My point is that while you can downplay Trubisky's accomplishment ("just one game", "bad defense", etc.), it's really an unprecedented game in Bears history. It deserves full credit, IMO.

What I liked best about the Tampa game is that it appeared to show the 'synergy' between Trubisky and Nagy, with the result being points on the scoreboard. Nagy's offense got pass targets into open spaces, Trubisky found the open targets with consistently accurate throws, and the Bears offense scored points. If there was one thing I disliked about the Jay Cutler Decade more than anything, it was that Cutler's offenses never scored points. Even in Cutler's relative 'good' seasons with Martz and Gase, the Bears offense was still pedestrian.

2) Bears starting LBs - Mack, Trevathan, Smith, Floyd

I guess this one is a bit dependent on nomenclature, as in some places I see Mack listed as a DE and in others I see him listed as an OLB. I still think of him as a 3-4 OLB. This starting group may be historically unprecedented...Mack, Smith and Floyd are all Top10 draft picks. I cannot recall any other LB group with 3 Top10 draft picks. That is amazing. This is kind of a backhanded compliment to Ryan Pace, but I think this shows that the NFL is designed for bad teams to eventually cycle back and become good. Teams like the Pats, Steelers, Packers, etc. haven't seen a Top10 draft pick in years, much less have 3 in one positional grouping. The positive of this is that the Bears defense is legit with elite talent...its not the smoke/mirrors job Fangio did in 2016.

Rory, the next step for the Bears will be the ability to build and maintain a consistent contender like the organizations you mentioned. Continuity has been a key to the success of each of those franchises. As well as outstanding QB play...

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think it completely caught TB off-guard that Nagy/Trubs were throwing deep so frequently. That being said, he did miss a few throws but still it was obviously very encouraging.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I think it completely caught TB off-guard that Nagy/Trubs were throwing deep so frequently. That being said, he did miss a few throws but still it was obviously very encouraging.

Every QB in the league misses a few throws. Big Ben missed a bunch of bunnies last night.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The fact that Danny T is the only significant defensive piece not under contract or team control through 2018,2019,2020 is astonishing. Amos is fine but not a must have type guy.

Even the offense is largely set with only Whitehair and Howard needing addressed before the completion 2020.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Regarding the Bears LB, Floyd is cementing himself as just a guy, not really a core player. He's being outplayed by Lynch and while he hasn't been bad, he hasn't stood out at all. It'll be interesting to see what the Bears do with him after next year.

I agree...perhaps Mack's biggest impact is that he allows Floyd to be "just a guy" and that doesn't kill the team.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:

It was very encouraging. He was hitting medium and deep throws in stride left and right all game. Those were throws he was missing the first three weeks.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Floyd seems to be the guy dropping more into coverage than last year. I think it is safe to assume you'd rather have Mack as a more dedicated rusher at this point.

Idk, Floyd has always dropped into coverage quite often. Perhaps because he's small and can cover open space, I imagine.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Floyd seems to be the guy dropping more into coverage than last year. I think it is safe to assume you'd rather have Mack as a more dedicated rusher at this point.

That was Pace's big marketing point on the Floyd pick...'makes plays all over the field, versatile, not only a great pass rusher but can also play nickelback'...none of which has been true thus far. I think Floyd can be good at being the guy who compiles the sack when Mack forces the QB to his side of the field. I don't think the Bears/Fangio has figured out the best way to utilize Floyd at this point, TBH.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Regarding the Bears LB, Floyd is cementing himself as just a guy, not really a core player. He's being outplayed by Lynch and while he hasn't been bad, he hasn't stood out at all. It'll be interesting to see what the Bears do with him after next year.
They will have to decide on his 5th yr option, but I imagine they exercise it. He is at worst a complimentary OLB. Maybe they decline it and try to sign him to a more team friendly deal.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That was Pace's big marketing point on the Floyd pick...'makes plays all over the field, versatile, not only a great pass rusher but can also play nickelback'...none of which has been true thus far. I think Floyd can be good at being the guy who compiles the sack when Mack forces the QB to his side of the field. I don't think the Bears/Fangio has figured out the best way to utilize Floyd at this point, TBH.

Floyd needs to progress as a pass rusher.

He is a very good run defender and he is good in coverage.

I think as the hand gets healthy and he gets confidence back he will start to unleash more on the pass rush. Floyd was having a nice camp and preseason before the injury.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
They will have to decide on his 5th yr option, but I imagine they exercise it. He is at worst a complimentary OLB. Maybe they decline it and try to sign him to a more team friendly deal.

We'll see, but at this point if nothing really changes, I wouldn't offer the 5th year option. I honestly think you can draft a younger and cheaper (especially with Mack's contract) guy next year. You could probably find a guy that does AT LEAST what Floyd does in the mid rounds.

Here's a question: at this point in the season, if you have to sign either Floyd or Lynch to a contract extension, which would you chose?

mac bear

Liked Posts:
Floyd needs to progress as a pass rusher.

He is a very good run defender and he is good in coverage.

I think as the hand gets healthy and he gets confidence back he will start to unleash more on the pass rush. Floyd was having a nice camp and preseason before the injury.

This.

All of you who forget his crazy leap and almost one hand pick seem to have short memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Idk, Floyd has always dropped into coverage quite often. Perhaps because he's small and can cover open space, I imagine.

last year it seemed like he did but the majority of his snaps were rushing the passer.....i would bet dollars to donuts he his not rushing as much as he did last year....

He had that nice pass breakup yesterday tho....