Tyler Colvin hits for the cycle

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As Rice Cube says, he seems to have good plate discipline... but... find that post, it was a good post, can't remember it word for word. If he bats 8th it adds walks die to pitching around and intentional walks.

And our best lineup has him batting 8th, using Baseball Musings Lineup Analysis

Maybe, but with more walks would probably come more SO's as well. Which would lower his BA. So while he would walk more his OBP I don't think would improve all that much.

And yes it has him as our best hitting 8th because he has been our worst hitter on the year.

I am impressed you used that tool though.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
His MLB career just started last September, so there isn't anything to base his rate off of.
I was looking at his minor league numbers as well. He is at 3% BB rate right now. The highest he has ever had in extended time at any stop is 8%. A significant jump, but his strikeout rate is way down at 10% this year which is compared to around 15% at most of the stops he has made.

Maybe not hit a HR, but he could hit a bases clearing double
Darwin Barney has 73 hits. He has 11 extra base hits. I would take my chances with Darwin Barney most times. That said it is just as likely that pitching around Barney is going to lead to more strikeouts as it is to more walks.

I'm glad we can agree.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe, but with more walks would probably come more SO's as well. Which would lower his BA. So while he would walk more his OBP I don't think would improve all that much.

And yes it has him as our best hitting 8th because he has been our worst hitter on the year.

I am impressed you used that tool though.
Wow poodski that bolded part is real smart. It seems kind of familar too...

Also the reason why Barney makes the most sense batting 8th is because he has the least offensive value of the Cubs starting 8 players. You want your best hitters to get the most ABs which is why they bat at the top of the order, and the worst bats at the bottom so they get the fewest.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow poodski that bolded part is real smart. It seems kind of familar too...

Yeah I noticed it after I posted. I quoted then played a game and finished it.

Wasn;t trying to copy what you said.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Over the previous 5 seasons (2006-2010), the average 8th spot hitter put up these numbers:
.249 AVG, .318 OBP, .376 SLG,

.318-.249=.069 (just showing the difference between OBP and AVG)

He is below as far as slugging by .17
His average is way higher, and his OBP is 3 points higher
I still think his OBP would go up as an 8th hitter, and he would probably be a bt more focused on walks, but I have nothing to back that up.