Tyrus Thomas Inc.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Tyrus Thomas has started a new website for his charitable works, and he wants everybody to check it out.

http://tyrusthomasinc.org/

thomas_nbae_060630.100220613.jpg

Mission Statement

The mission of Tyrus Thomas Inc. is to cultivate and improve the Greater Baton Rouge community by implementing programs geared towards youth outreach, enhancing the community through development, and supporting other organizations with similar initiatives and goals.

The first goal of Tyrus Thomas Inc. is to improve the lives of "at risk" youth in the East Baton Rouge parish.
TTI hopes to do this through a youth retention program entitled C.A.T.C.H. - Caring and Actively Teaching Children Hope through: Character and leadership empowerment; Advocating Educational Development; Teaching Financial and Economic literacy; Capturing the Arts; and a Healthy Mind and Body initiative.

This one picture on the site is particularly good, because Kirk looks like one of the kids in the picture.

Tyrus_Thomas_with_kids.10093812_large.jpg

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
It's good to see Tyrus involved in things bigger then himself. I know he went to LSU, but was he from the Baton Rouge area originally? Either way, props to TyT from helping out those that could use it.

cool007

Liked Posts:
Yeah, good for him and I think he is doing wonderful on and off the court.

on a side note, that picture of him looks like a HIGH SCHOOL guy more than a Pro-basketball player guy.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I made the same comment on realgm, it's cool that he's helping kids, but man that website needs some work.

Side note, yes, he did grow up in Baton Rouge.

Morten Jensen

Liked Posts:
Tyrus has really been productive off the court. I believe the Bulls even presented him with an award for the most charity work. I realise that helps little on the basketball court, but I've always found something nice in having that kind of players on the roster. Decent human beings who actually wants to contribute something to their community. It speaks volumes of what kind of people they are privately.

Though, Tyrus has a reputation of being a dick to fans. So that's a little weird.

Morten Jensen

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I made the same comment on realgm, it's cool that he's helping kids, but man that website needs some work.

Side note, yes, he did grow up in Baton Rouge.

Yep. Good thing it said under construction. That would have been a piss-poor web design otherwise.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Morten Jensen wrote:
Tyrus has really been productive off the court. I believe the Bulls even presented him with an award for the most charity work. I realise that helps little on the basketball court, but I've always found something nice in having that kind of players on the roster. Decent human beings who actually wants to contribute something to their community. It speaks volumes of what kind of people they are privately.

Though, Tyrus has a reputation of being a dick to fans. So that's a little weird.

I think a lot of people would dislike fans, but would like to help people in need, so I think those two things are very different and don't see it as a contradiction.

Fans have got to be annoying to most people who have them. You appreciate them because they allow you to do what you do, but at the same time they put weird restraints on you and stop you from feeling human by worshiping you at some level.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
The first goal of Tyrus Thomas Inc. is to improve the lives of "at risk" youth in the East Baton Rouge parish.
TTI hopes to do this through a youth retention program entitled C.A.T.C.H. - Caring and Actively Teaching Children Hope through: Character and leadership empowerment; Advocating Educational Development; Teaching Financial and Economic literacy; Capturing the Arts; and a Healthy Mind and Body initiative.

][/quote]

Ack.... i cant help but do this.
The first goal of tyrus club is that we dont talk about tyrus club. the second goal of tyrus club is that we dont talk about tyrus club.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
The first goal of tyrus club is that we dont talk about tyrus club. the second goal of tyrus club is that we dont talk about tyrus club.

That got a laugh out loud moment from me.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
dougthonus wrote:

That got a laugh out loud moment from me.

Haha me too. On another note, it's good seeing Tyrus going out and giving back to the community. With pro athletes making as much as they do, I almost think it should be mandatory that they give back.

For the whole fan thing, I think that if you were in his place, fans would get pretty annoying after a while.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Haha me too. On another note, it's good seeing Tyrus going out and giving back to the community. With pro athletes making as much as they do, I almost think it should be mandatory that they give back.

The problem is that most of them end up broke when their career is over, or at least one estimate I saw was that 60% of ex players go bankrupt. I think most of them never learn to handle their money, and thus despite making a lot of it, never really capitalize on it long term.

I think the fall becomes so much worse too, to live like a King for 10-20 years and then end up with nothing again has to be worse in some ways then ever having it at all.

They do it to themselves, so I don't feel tons of empathy, but I do think they're put in situations that make it likely for them to fail financially. The keeping up with the Jones attitude when the Joneses make 15 million a year and the fact that there are tons of women out there trying to get knocked up by them for the free millions in child support make their temptations in life very great and frequently their background doesn't allow them to make good decisions.

fola

Liked Posts:
pinkizdead wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:

]

Ack.... i cant help but do this.
The first goal of tyrus club is that we dont talk about tyrus club. the second goal of tyrus club is that we dont talk about tyrus club.[/quote]

Hah, a tip of the hat to you sir. Well played. +1

fola

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
They do it to themselves, so I don't feel tons of empathy, but I do think they're put in situations that make it likely for them to fail financially. The keeping up with the Jones attitude when the Joneses make 15 million a year and the fact that there are tons of women out there trying to get knocked up by them for the free millions in child support make their temptations in life very great and frequently their background doesn't allow them to make good decisions.

I agree with you. At some point, I hope that the NBA (and all profession leagues) take a serious look at informing their players of the pitfalls. Or maybe the PA. I know that they both try to do so already but obviously with those kind of figures, work needs to be done.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
fola wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

I agree with you. At some point, I hope that the NBA (and all profession leagues) take a serious look at informing their players of the pitfalls. Or maybe the PA. I know that they both try to do so already but obviously with those kind of figures, work needs to be done.

The NBA has like a 2 day seminar in which they cover that very thing.

If the players don't want to listen, there is nothing they can do.

Maybe one thing the NBA could do is not give the players all of their contract money during the contract span, and take some of it to setup an annuity for the players.

fola

Liked Posts:
@??? ??????

Yes, I understand that. But, if its still continuing at the rate Dt quoted (not sure how up to date it was), I still think more needs to be done.

I went to a 2day shooting camp once, that didnt all of a sudden turn me into steve kerr. :p

fola

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
and take some of it to setup an annuity for the players.

I think you may be on to something.

shortlunatic

Liked Posts:
lol good for him. For some reason i had it in my head that he was more of a dick.

fola

Liked Posts:
shortlunatic wrote:
lol good for him. For some reason i had it in my head that he was more of a dick.

Can you tell me why? I'm not trying to be an ass or anything just curious. You're not the first person who has told me something like that. I've always thought of him as just someone who doesn't like the media, but not much more than that. But I never really understood why so many disliked him. maybe because he could have been Alderage?

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
fola wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:
and take some of it to setup an annuity for the players.

I think you may be on to something.

I think, before this is done in the NBA, it should be done in College. Instead of the NCAA exploiting these kids, give the current scholarships, and then with the excess money, instead of supporting entire athletic departments with this money, setup some annuities for these kids, because I think the kids who play basketball in college, who don't make it to the NBA, end up in prison a lot. I think an annuity would help out a lot.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Maybe one thing the NBA could do is not give the players all of their contract money during the contract span, and take some of it to setup an annuity for the players.

The problem with that is that it's still an asset. When they get sued for child support or default on their 10 million dollar house then their creditors still go after that money.

It's not like they spend all their cash and stop. They find ways to have large debts build without watching what they spend.