Tyrus Thomas Inc.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
fola wrote:
shortlunatic wrote:
lol good for him. For some reason i had it in my head that he was more of a dick.

Can you tell me why? I'm not trying to be an ass or anything just curious. You're not the first person who has told me something like that. I've always thought of him as just someone who doesn't like the media, but not much more than that. But I never really understood why so many disliked him. maybe because he could have been Alderage?

There have been many media stories which have portrayed him as an ass. If you've ever read Sam Smith's comments on him then it's clear Sam hates him. For most of his career, he's been beat up badly by the media and portrayed as a standoffish jerk.

Let me also say, that I've had the opportunity to attempt to interview Tyrus twice, and of any player I've ever asked for an interview, Tyrus was the only one that I felt was kind of a jerk about it. I understand that a bit, so I don't hold it against him personally, but there's a reason a lot of bad stuff is written about him.

A bunch of players told me no, but everyone else was pretty friendly about it and would say "sorry I can't right now" or "maybe i can do it later" or something like that.

I get the fact that he doesn't like the media or trust the media, and I'm a nobody-interviewer which means I'm to be trusted even less, since I'm probably just out tot make a name for myself etc.. So I don't really hold it against him, (more or less I'm indifferent to it), but I can see why he's built a reputation.

fola

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
fola wrote:
shortlunatic wrote:
lol good for him. For some reason i had it in my head that he was more of a dick.

Can you tell me why? I'm not trying to be an ass or anything just curious. You're not the first person who has told me something like that. I've always thought of him as just someone who doesn't like the media, but not much more than that. But I never really understood why so many disliked him. maybe because he could have been Alderage?

There have been many media stories which have portrayed him as an ass. If you've ever read Sam Smith's comments on him then it's clear Sam hates him. For most of his career, he's been beat up badly by the media and portrayed as a standoffish jerk.

Let me also say, that I've had the opportunity to attempt to interview Tyrus twice, and of any player I've ever asked for an interview, Tyrus was the only one that I felt was kind of a jerk about it. I understand that a bit, so I don't hold it against him personally, but there's a reason a lot of bad stuff is written about him.

A bunch of players told me no, but everyone else was pretty friendly about it and would say "sorry I can't right now" or "maybe i can do it later" or something like that.

I get the fact that he doesn't like the media or trust the media, and I'm a nobody-interviewer which means I'm to be trusted even less, since I'm probably just out tot make a name for myself etc.. So I don't really hold it against him, (more or less I'm indifferent to it), but I can see why he's built a reputation.

Gotcha. I guess i understand that, although i'm not much of a sam smith guy. Its just that I had the chance to talk to him at a charity event at the end of last year. he seemed to be incredibly down to earth. Or i guess mellow would be a better way to phrase it. We talked for about 15-20 mins, mostly about basketball and life in the nba (and video games, believe it or not). I think the thing I took most from our conversations is that, more than any other nba player ive spoken to(a small simple size i know, he seemed almost.... taken aback by the whole celebrity thing.

collisrost

Liked Posts:
Regarding all the sportsmen doing charity work, I've often found it ironic that so many of their charitable activities are "fundraising" activities. Fundraising? You've gotta be kidding me!

fola

Liked Posts:
collisrost wrote:
Regarding all the sportsmen doing charity work, I've often found it ironic that so many of their charitable activities are "fundraising" activities. Fundraising? You've gotta be kidding me!

So they shouldn't raise money? or are you just implying that they should be coming out of pocket? In either case, id have to say that I disagree with you. Don't get me wrong, i'm sure that there are a bunch of guys that do charity work mostly for the write off. I did a lot of charity work over the course of the last 5 years and I can attest to that. While I understand your skepticism, i've got to say, I take just as much pride that our team has 3 of the most charitable players in the nba (luol, bg, ty) as the fact that we are about .500

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Gotcha. I guess i understand that, although i'm not much of a sam smith guy. Its just that I had the chance to talk to him at a charity event at the end of last year. he seemed to be incredibly down to earth. Or i guess mellow would be a better way to phrase it. We talked for about 15-20 mins, mostly about basketball and life in the nba (and video games, believe it or not). I think the thing I took most from our conversations is that, more than any other nba player ive spoken to(a small simple size i know, he seemed almost.... taken aback by the whole celebrity thing.

He may be taken aback, and he may not like the celebrity thing, and he may be a great humble guy. However, most people will not spend 20 minutes BSing with a mellow Tyrus, they'll form their opinion based on what the media say about him, and what the media says has been bad. It may not be accurate, but I can understand why people would be surprised by his charity endeavors.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Totally forgot he was still playing.