UFC 129 GSP vs. Shields

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
UFC 129 Sat., April 30 at 9PM ET

The UFC 129 fight card will be highlighted by Georges St-Pierre defending his welterweight title against Jake Shields at the Rogers Centre, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

UFC 129 Fight Card: GSP vs. Shields -- MMA Fighting

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im thinkin GSP is gonna destroy this guy, like he did Koscheck. Lyoto Machida
vs Randy Couture, really? Couture still has work in the UFC, huh? Fuck it, big name, and Id like to see what the old timmer can do against some real competition, i think the last fight Couture had was against James Toney, the ex boxer, James "Lights Out" Toney.

Last edited:

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm really hoping Lyota can win this fight. I've always been a fan of his but ever since hes had the belt hes lost(technically he won the first time he defended his belt but imo he lost and should have)

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I used to love Machida, but ever since his first fight against Shogun (which he won by some ridiculous judge) I have really lost a lot of respect for him. He doesn't fight to win, he fights to survive and it's lame.

Nonetheless, he is fighting against an over-the-hill Couture. I'm not really sure why Couture is fighting, besides the $$$ (which is probably the only reason).

I'm really only interested in the GSP fight, and GSP has yet to disappoint. He will probably dominate again.

Angel

Liked Posts:
Machida's biggest knock even before he came into the UFC was his "safe" fighting style. I don't think he plays it safe, he just sits back and waits for the opponent to make a mistake and then he finishes. He has KO'd some good fighters - Franklin, Thiago Silva and Evans. I think he KO Randy too. I would like to see Lyoto get back into title contention

I'm a Jake Shields fan but I just don't see any way he can win. I think GSP will use his wrestling to control the fight. IMO he should keep the fight standing . He severely underutilizes his standup and his is some of the best in the sport while Jakes isn't nearly as good.

Overall its a pretty solid card. Aldo vs. Hominick could be fight of the night

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
Overall its a pretty solid card. Aldo vs. Hominick could be fight of the night

i saw the Spike preview show, and i think that can be a real good one aswell, look like a good card.

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know what you mean it seems like he fights safe but I think like Angel said he waits to look for that mistake and then strike. But I agree he lucked out with that win when he fought Shogun the first time because of the judge. Thats actually one thing that turned me away from the UFC for awhile there and still somewhat now because after UFC 100 it seemed like a lot of fights that happened were misjudged and it turned me away from watching them for awhile.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know what you mean it seems like he fights safe but I think like Angel said he waits to look for that mistake and then strike. But I agree he lucked out with that win when he fought Shogun the first time because of the judge. Thats actually one thing that turned me away from the UFC for awhile there and still somewhat now because after UFC 100 it seemed like a lot of fights that happened were misjudged and it turned me away from watching them for awhile.

i can see your point on that turning you away, I didnt see the first Lyoto/Shogun match but i caught the second one, its crazy how both those guys have lost the title........ I hate when it goes to the judges, two canadians are gonna fight for belts, canadian fans, and judges? IDK

Angel

Liked Posts:
Was a pretty good night of fights. All fights were good with the exception of the main event. I figured Shields didn't pose much of a threat to GSP. If feel Georges could have finished or been more aggressive. He did what he needed to win though

I felt that Aldo/Hominick could be fight of the night an imo it was. Aldo looked tired after the 1st rd but still gutted it out. He was just a level above Hominick who just kept coming no matter what Aldo hit him with. That was a Hasem Rahman knot on that forehead lol

Machidas kick was fuckin ridiculous! Felt bad to see Randy go out like that though. Coutures had one hell of a career. Both guys were very classy after the fight. Hope to see Lyoto get back in the title picture

Angel

Liked Posts:
Was a pretty good night of fights. All fights were good with the exception of the main event. I figured Shields didn't pose much of a threat to GSP. If feel Georges could have finished or been more aggressive. He did what he needed to win though

I felt that Aldo/Hominick could be fight of the night an imo it was. Aldo looked tired after the 1st rd but still gutted it out. He was just a level above Hominick who just kept coming no matter what Aldo hit him with. That was a Hasem Rahman knot on that forehead lol

Machidas kick was fuckin ridiculous! Felt bad to see Randy go out like that though. Coutures had one hell of a career. Both guys were very classy after the fight. Hope to see Lyoto get back in the title picture

Southpaw24

Your worst nightmare
Liked Posts:
GSP couldnt push the way he usually does after injuring his eye..... he still fought for 3 and a half rounds with one eye and came out on top

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love how I got to see some real fights outside of bdubs after the ufc fights yesterday lol. Lyota Machida knocked out Couture crazy. Then Mark Hominicks face getting like that was nasty lol. I thought GSPs fight was kind of eh. GSP kept on looking for that right hand knock out too much.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah aside from the main event those fights were sick, Aldo/Hominick fight was brutal! And i actually called the Machida/Couture knockout, i swear, i was watching the fight with my bro, and i told him, "Machida should kick the shit outta Randy in the face", then like 10 sec later he did, we went crazy, that was a sweet knockout! I thought Shields performed good, better than i expected him too, didnt take too much damage, and had better than expected stand-up, but GSP is in another class. real good card all the way