Uh oh Leno....

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Fozzie Land, Muppet City, The Former US of A
Oh its all fun and games while Dalton/Foles gets killed....Fields would have to play then. No thanks.

Well that'll be a win, win, then imo.

Fields should be QB1 anyway. Hes suppose to be smart, let him show it. Game plan around his strengths then add more throughout the season

Justin wants to play, said he wants that rookie of the year.

Last edited:

Canth

Liked Posts:
Well that'll be a win, win, then imo.

Fields should be QB1 anyway. Hes suppose to be smart, let him show it. Game plan around his strengths then add more accordingly throughout the season

Justin wants to play, said he wants that rookie of the year.

I will probably regret this...but, in this hypothetical scenario, how is it a good idea to put your shiny new franchise qb behind an offensive line that got the two other guys injured. You -want- to get Fields injured? That is the plan? I may be crazy, but that sounds like a bad plan.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I will probably regret this...but, in this hypothetical scenario, how is it a good idea to put your shiny new franchise qb behind an offensive line that got the two other guys injured. You -want- to get Fields injured? That is the plan? I may be crazy, but that sounds like a bad plan.

Because, its not like Leno is THE MAN. So are you saying to hold on to Leno, just cause youre scared of the unknown? Theyve been holding on to Leno for too long as is.

Play the younglings and let them grow together.

Last edited:

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Actually the offensive line he'd be behind didn't get anyone injured. Pass protection was considerably better with their last unit last year and they obviously added pieces. Leno is still a liability, but the unit is decent overall

Canth

Liked Posts:
Okung or fisher. Maybe villanueva
Okung is aging and oft injured and probably wants a bunch of money.

I thought Fisher was also injured.

Villanueva isn't available. I thought it was announced he was signing with the Ravens after the draft?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the Bears are hoping the two tackles they drafted can go left and right

Doubtful. Borom is a Guard. Jenkins is a RT that may be able to grow into a LT.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Actually the offensive line he'd be behind didn't get anyone injured. Pass protection was considerably better with their last unit last year and they obviously added pieces. Leno is still a liability, but the unit is decent overall

I was responding to what I thought was being a hypothetical situation - not something that actually happened. In that future hypothetical, I was saying I thought it would be a bad idea to put your franchise qb behind a line that was unable to protect the other two qb's and they can injured because of that.

Now having said that, Fields mobility is such that he will likely make any offensive line look better than Foles and Dalton will, Foles for sure. Hell, we saw that last year that the line just often looked better with Mitch than the statue that was Foles.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Okung is aging and oft injured and probably wants a bunch of money.

I thought Fisher was also injured.

Villanueva isn't available. I thought it was announced he was signing with the Ravens after the draft?
I thought villanueva to ravens was reported after the brown trade but never saw it finalized. I assume okung knows he's not getting a ton of money at this point. Aging isn't too important because it's a 1 year commitment. If he's healthy he's a significant upgrade. Fischer is injured, but I've seen a couple reports having him back by September. Anyone still available is probably looking at 1 year deals with reasonable price tags

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I was responding to what I thought was being a hypothetical situation - not something that actually happened. In that future hypothetical, I was saying I thought it would be a bad idea to put your franchise qb behind a line that was unable to protect the other two qb's and they can injured because of that.

Now having said that, Fields mobility is such that he will likely make any offensive line look better than Foles and Dalton will, Foles for sure. Hell, we saw that last year that the line just often looked better with Mitch than the statue that was Foles.
Oh alright. My mistake hopping in a conversation midway, not knowing the details

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Who cares If the rookies lack this or that atm. Trial by fire. Let them learn and develop on the field. If it gets Dalton/Foles killed, so what. They'll still be better prepared once Justin hits the Field, thats the end goal
You think Fields isn't going to be behind that line this upcoming season?

Canth

Liked Posts:
Because, its not like Leno is THE MAN. So are you saying to hold on to Leno, just cause youre scared of the unknown? Theyve been holding on to Leno for too long as is.

Play the youngings and let them grow together.

I am not trying to say Leno is THE MAN. Leno is an average LT that is not actually really overpaid for his position. Yes, he makes a good amount, but LT is a premium position. So, from that standpoint, he is basically playing to the positional value of the contract value he was paid. And Leno has been relatively healthy. That availability has also been a good thing - because the Bears had really crap depth behind him if he ever did get hurt.

Personally, I like the idea of Teven competing at tackle on both sides. There has not been nearly enough competition especially at the tackle spot (either side) on the Bears offensive line in years. They need a fire lit under them.

I just don't understand why you would create a hole with no plan to fill it this year. The offensive line projects to finally have some good depth. And the reality is that this coaching staff and front office are not in a position to take crazy risks either. They need to win and they need to develop players. That is a hell of a lot easier to do if the qb has time to throw and the running back has lanes to run in. And to maintain that for now 17 games means you need some depth if/when injuries happen.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I am not trying to say Leno is THE MAN. Leno is an average LT that is not actually really overpaid for his position. Yes, he makes a good amount, but LT is a premium position. So, from that standpoint, he is basically playing to the positional value of the contract value he was paid. And Leno has been relatively healthy. That availability has also been a good thing - because the Bears had really crap depth behind him if he ever did get hurt.

Personally, I like the idea of Teven competing at tackle on both sides. There has not been nearly enough competition especially at the tackle spot (either side) on the Bears offensive line in years. They need a fire lit under them.

I just don't understand why you would create a hole with no plan to fill it this year. The offensive line projects to finally have some good depth. And the reality is that this coaching staff and front office are not in a position to take crazy risks either. They need to win and they need to develop players. That is a hell of a lot easier to do if the qb has time to throw and the running back has lanes to run in. And to maintain that for now 17 games means you need some depth if/when injuries happen.

Because there has been a hole for a while now. The plan would be to fill it with Teven and let him sink or swim. If hes not the guy then you address it again next year and move Teven where he better fits along the line. If injuries happen this year, you take one of the 55 bodies they have at OL and stick them there.

Remember Leno, A rookie 7th RD tackle who apparently couldn't beat out Jordan Mills at RT IIRC. Then forced to play LT due to Bushrod being injured

Leno is now Bushrod. Time to replace him with a rookie. Yeah so Bushrod got injured, words words words, i get that, but they still rightfully moved on after that year.

Keep holding on to mediocrity with Leno or attack the matter at hand? Hmm, Im into to attacking the situation.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mike Gundy said Jenkins is a more talented prospect coming out than Okung who went 6th overall and he could end up the best OL from this draft.

We'll see if the Bears give him a shot to compete at LT. If he can take the spot from Leno, that's a huge upgrade in run blocking and attitude.

Leno will likely stick around for depth but the Bears are clearly looking to move on from him. Extending ARob is the obvious move to clear cap space. Gotta do it for stability with new QB.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would love to hold onto him till we see the rookies in action. Or to see if her can flip him for a 22 pick.

They save 11 million by cutting him. It feels like his days are numbered.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Doubtful. Borom is a Guard. Jenkins is a RT that may be able to grow into a LT.
I don’t think Borom has to play OG.

He has 1000 snaps at OT in the SEC and really nice production.

I think he is a RT only, but I think he gets a real shot at OT.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Just to be clear, I would love it for Jenkins to compete and hold down the LT position, and for Borom to compete and then hold down the RT position. It just feels that 2021 is a bit early for that. I would think you would work to develop those guys so that is the legitimate plan for 2022 and beyond. But, if they can surprise and get it done for 2021 that would awesome.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Bears are hoping the two tackles they drafted can go left and right

there is little chance of that happening this year unless there is an injury

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they cut Leno they'd save 6mil...5mil dead cap...

doesn't make any sense to cut him. It would make a lot more sense to cut Hicks, but I'll stop there.

I don't disagree. Good points. We owe Leno alot. The guy has protected a bunch of immobile QB's, and QB's that hold on too long, and he is talented...

I just think he doesn't fit Nagy too well. Is one dimensional, and I should remember...

before Leno the left side was abomination. And after Leno it has a good chance to be abomination.