Update to Roquan Situation

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Peer pressure and fighting for an issue you feel is right to help the players in the future are not the same thing, Quite the opposite

It should be public pressure. And I agree. And that is the Crux of my argument.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Roquan is a class act with no off field concerns. If I am him, I am wondering if my representation is using this as an opportunity to sell themselves to future college players.

If he is a class act then why are the Bears pushing this?

BigBill

Liked Posts:
The behavior clause is also being disputed. My guess is Smith wants to kneel during the anthem without penalty.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
because we needed a new thread on the Roquan contract.......

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So if I am understanding this right, Smith wants to be paid even if he assaults someone, rapes someone, or kills someone?

I believe I owe a mea culpa to the Bears FO.

LOL, my guess is an ambiguous clause that says something like conduct deemed detrimental to the team. Which could be assault, rape, murder.......or farting in a crowded uber and tweeting about it.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
So if I am understanding this right, Smith wants to be paid even if he assaults someone, rapes someone, or kills someone?

I believe I owe a mea culpa to the Bears FO.

Yep - Sounds like he wants a "Free to smack-up the out of line biotches" clause in his contract...

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The behavior clause is also being disputed. My guess is Smith wants to kneel during the anthem without penalty.

Or he plans on beating his girlfriend, getting suspended, but still getting paid. Or shooting a guy, or kneeling during a song, any horrific act really.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Or he plans on beating his girlfriend, getting suspended, but still getting paid. Or shooting a guy, or kneeling during a song, any horrific act really.

Im going with drug trafficking

Washington

Liked Posts:
LOL, my guess is an ambiguous clause that says something like conduct deemed detrimental to the team. Which could be assault, rape, murder.......or farting in a crowded uber and tweeting about it.

Probably, but this is what Haugh posted in the Trib:

But Smith remains away from training camp because his representatives at CAA Football have insisted the Bears go even further and include contract language protecting the player from discipline for behavior outside the realm of a football play. The Bears’ reluctance to do so revolves around their fear of setting a precedent for future contracts and has nothing to do with concerns about Smith’s character, the source said.

I think that covers the spectrum of farting in a crowded uber to assault/rape to murder. Maybe Smith is an avid Harley rider or mogul snow skier and they don't want him doing that?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bears-roquan-smith-holdout/

But budging on other language — including when it involves behavior — is another issue. It’s why league sources have said the many around the NFL are closely monitoring what happens with the Bears and Smith. It’s a fight worth watching because a new precedent might be set.

One league source suggested that CAA wanted to reach this point – an impasse that generates negative headlines for the Bears. A source close to the Bears’ front office said there has been a lot of “posturing.”

“CAA is just using it’s big stick,” one longtime agent said.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The Bears have to stand their ground now or this sets a terrible precedent.

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Well this clears up a lot. No excuse for Roquan not to have signed the deal by now. If you can't accept punishment for shitty off-field behavior, perhaps you shouldn't become a professional athlete. He's either dumb, or he's getting bad advice. Either way, the screw up is on him.