Updated Cap Space

dennehy

Liked Posts:
yes, but you have to add in the dead cap space not just the active contract liabilities.

Spotrac is more accurate on the total number.
Yep, that's correct.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears dead money total is 8.9m + top 51 cap liabilities - cap space - rollover = -17.5m

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
And tagging AR adds 18 mill

I think some worry about the cap more then they really need to and don't really understand it and how it all works as much as they think they do. The Saints are like $60 mil, or some crazy number like that, over the cap and just tagged M.Williams.

Not coming at you in particular with this.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
According to spotrac the Bears are 22m over the cap , but Spotrac also shows Massie still on the team...

If you use spotracs numbers and release Massie they are at 16m over

Over the cap has the at 17m over which is closer to reality

Before Massie’s release, the Bears were $6.9 million over the cap, according to Over the Cap. Releasing Massie frees up $5.4 million in cap space, which would bring the Bears to just $1.5 million over the cap ahead of the new league year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
this....

A lot of teams with open cap space are going to pick up some bargains and their will be a lot of one year rentals.

I expect at least 3 or 4 guys on the Bears will have their contracts re-worked and/or a couple decent players released...

Yeah this is the time to have cap space and some teams like Indy and others that are already good teams will really be enjoying this time.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Before Massie’s release, the Bears were $6.9 million over the cap, according to Over the Cap. Releasing Massie frees up $5.4 million in cap space, which would bring the Bears to just $1.5 million over the cap ahead of the new league year.

Neither Spotrac nor OTC has anything like that

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Neither Spotrac nor OTC has anything like that

Just posting what i saw and it's from OTC. I'm not good when it comes to the salary cap and how it all works but i know every single offseason people are on here saying we can't afford to make certain signing and i'm on here saying there's always ways to create cap space and then we make those signings. I know some of you understand some of it pretty well but not as much as you think you do cause there's so much that these cap people can do to make things work that we never see or know about.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just posting what i saw and this is from OTC. I'm not good when it comes to the salary cap and how it all works but i know every single offseason people are on here saying we can't afford to make certain signing and i'm on here saying there's always ways to create cap space and then we make those signings. I know some of you understand some of it pretty well but not as much as you think you do cause there's so much that these cap people can do to make things work that we never see or know about.

Bear are about 17.5m over the cap right now when you consider Massie's contract gone and with Arob at 17.5 million tag....they need to clear that up shortly.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Just posting what i saw and it's from OTC. I'm not good when it comes to the salary cap and how it all works but i know every single offseason people are on here saying we can't afford to make certain signing and i'm on here saying there's always ways to create cap space and then we make those signings. I know some of you understand some of it pretty well but not as much as you think you do cause there's so much that these cap people can do to make things work that we never see or know about.
Nah, it's all pretty obvious how the cap work and what teams do to manipulate it.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Mack will have to be in a Wilson trade
That wouldn't help the cap due to all the dead money.... Also, good news is Bears won't need a rookie contract budget when they trade all their draft picks.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think some worry about the cap more then they really need to and don't really understand it and how it all works as much as they think they do. The Saints are like $60 mil, or some crazy number like that, over the cap and just tagged M.Williams.

Not coming at you in particular with this.
I worry much more about Pace’s QB evaluation skills than I do the cap.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I worry much more about Pace’s QB evaluation skills than I do the cap.

Yeah i'm not as worried as most cause he went with the QB that most of the so called draft experts thought would be the best out of that draft so while i do worry about if he'll get it right with the next one he drafts, i don't worry as much as others do. The draft is a crap shoot and whether anyone likes it or not, just because someone is a GM doesn't mean they can see the future and every one of them are wrong multiple times.

Now people can post about how they can't handle the truth and can't handle the reality of how this all works in the NFL.

But he's the GM so he's supposed to know...Hahahaha.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I'm guessing they trade arob in the next couple weeks so we will still have some cap space to play with.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They're not trading Arob?

Why did we pay Cohen to run out of bounds every play?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
They don’t it’s all Alex Smith

Perspective

Liked Posts:
Every year teams that are in cap hell or even reasonably over the cap find a way to make it work. For those that think Pace will simply cut Fuller and/or Hicks with no real plan are being presumptuous .... Pace will do what he has always done .... restructure contracts of the studs by (for example) converting some of their contract to a signing bonus that reduces impact this year or extend contracts to players like Fuller and/or Hicks or even get ARob extended in time to lower that hit to minimal this year ..... and worst case even if he releases some players, there is lots of talent on the FA market to plug holes and we have all our draft picks too.... for example at the DT position if we cut Hicks - there is Suh, Gerald McCoy, possibly the Bengals Geno Atkins might be cut is the rumor etc all on the market ....

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Something that has always confused me: negotiations between the league and NFLPA center, primarily, around the % of NFL earnings players are entitled to -- this is where max cap, mandatory cap floor spending over the course of 4 league years, and other concepts were borne. In a league that is quite literally run by lawyers who debate contracts with other lawyers (agents), not a single person ever thought of the contraction of revenue and considered including a clause where current contracts may have to shrink by a relative ammount to accommodate the new mandatory cap range both parties agreed to?

We saw this in the NHL with the contraction of value of the C$, which forced less cap growth as Canadian teams could not compete in a US$ dominated market without the stipulation of contracting of the cap to make up for the value disparity.

The fact that the vast majority of the "players" in these negotiations are primarily focused on financial ramifications, yet somehow managed to completely ignore the current possibility (eventual likelihood, if you ask an economist [constant economic grow is never a reality]), is just fucking amazing to me.

The most reasonable reaction, in my opinion, would be a % based contract system where a player's real contract value in a given year is determined by an agreed upon % of cap space at the time of their contract signing, then is allowed to inflate or deflate as current economic circumstances dictate. That would also prevent the stupid "I signed as the top paid player at my position two years ago, but now Bob is getting paid more, so I'm going to hold out." It would remove the actual dollar amount from the equation and move it to "what percent of this team's value are you worth."

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
The saints singed Kamara to a 75 million dollar contract while being 40 mil over the cap at the time. They prorated his bonus and he had only an 800k base salary for 2020. Stop worrying about the cap. It's a pointless. Teams can manipulate and move money around so easily.