VDN Prevented Blowout Against Lakers, Finally!

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
The thing I hate most about Vinny Del Negro is the fact that he sets his rotation with Derrick Rose and takes him out at his set times. One of the main reasons the Bulls keep getting blown out is because opposing teams will make a run in the 3rd quarter with Rose in the game to get up by 10. VDN would take Rose out at the end of the 3rd and by the 4th the Bulls are down 30 so Rose doesn't even come back into the game.

Last night VDN left Rose in for the entire 3rd quarter so the Lakers couldn't burry us by 30 by the 4th quarter. Thank you for adjusting Vinny, every game isn't the same!

Last year Rose would come with about 4mins left in the 1st quarter, come back in halfway through the 2nd quarter. Then VDN would take out Rose with 4mins in the 3rd quarter and put him back in for half of the 4th.

This year VDN is taking Rose out with 1 or 2 mins left in the 1st and bringing him back in a few mins into the 3rd. Then Rose will come back in a few mins into the 4th. Why does he have set times for Rose to come out? A lot of superstars have a set rest time for the start of the 4th quarter, ex: Kobe sits the beginning of the 4th most games, but not every game. If the Lakers need him to stay in, they keep him in.

The only time I've seen VDN adjust his times with Rose is in the playoffs last year and last night against the Lakers, c'mon Vinny.

Side Note: I was looking up MPG for other teams, and most teams have their best players playing the most minutes. Atlanta: Joe Johnson plays 5 or 6 more mins than the next guy, Lakers: Kobe plays by far the most mins.
Chicago: Deng and Salmons both avg more minutes than Rose. I can give VDN a break because Rose has been injured but by the end of the year Rose better have the most mpg on the team!

Against the Lakers Brad Miller played more than Rose, but Rose was clutching his side in the 1st so VDN had to take him out last night. The best player should be playing the most, especially if he's 20 yrs old. Fire Vinny!

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
The problem with your theory is that Rose isn't the best player on the team. He's not even the second best.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
o you want to build around noah/deng?

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
The problem with your theory is that Rose isn't the best player on the team. He's not even the second best.

Sorry dude but he IS the best player, he's just hasn't been playing up to his ability. I love Noah, but all he can bring is energy, rebounding, & defense. Deng has been playing very well so you could make the argument for him as the best player, but Rose can do more than either one of those two & is finally starting to look for his offense more which is what we need.

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:

So then who is the best? Its Rose by so far its not even funny! I know you don't think Deng is, he takes 30 shots to get 20pts every night... he is still horrible.

I don't know what games you are watching Shakes, but the Bulls change tremendously when DRose is on the floor. Even last year when Gordon was the best player on the team, Rose still changed the game more. Other teams change everything they do when he is out there, whereas Gordon they just didn't double off of. So even last year Rose was the best player on the floor.

However in the 4th against the Lakers, he came in and hit a jumper then didn't score the final 5 mins, missing a lot of easy shots. Rose will be great, he just has some learning to do.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
pinkizdead wrote:
o you want to build around noah/deng?

I'm not saying we don't hope Rose becomes the best player, I'm saying that right at this moment having Noah & Deng out there does more to prevent blowouts than Rose does.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Hendu0520 wrote:
So then who is the best? Its Rose by so far its not even funny! I know you don't think Deng is, he takes 30 shots to get 20pts every night... he is still horrible.

You are criticising Deng for being an inefficient scorer yet praising a guy who is even less efficient.

I don't know what games you are watching Shakes, but the Bulls change tremendously when DRose is on the floor. Even last year when Gordon was the best player on the team, Rose still changed the game more. Other teams change everything they do when he is out there, whereas Gordon they just didn't double off of. So even last year Rose was the best player on the floor.

Actually if you bother to look up the numbers you'll see the Bulls play their best when the guy you just mocked is on the floor. Plus/minus has it's limitations, but when a guy has consistently been rated well in that metric for years, I tend to think maybe he's helping the team.

From a subjective "watching the game" point of view, I think you're watching "Derrick Rose as we wish he'd become", not what he is. He's not a guy who really creates a lot of great looks for anyone else. He's not a guy who is getting to the rim at will. He's not a guy who's getting to the line. He shows signs at times of becoming that guy, but right now he's just not that good.

However in the 4th against the Lakers, he came in and hit a jumper then didn't score the final 5 mins, missing a lot of easy shots. Rose will be great, he just has some learning to do.

One play sticks in my mind from that game, I commented on it in the game thread. Rose absolutely killed Odom, and had a clear path to the rim. Instead of dunking the ball like a star would, he threw up a weak ass layup like he was Kirk Hinrich. On that subject, doesn't it worry you that by this stage of his career even Kirk Hinrich's career high in FTAs was 12 yet a guy like Rose still hasn't managed more than 9 in a game? What kind of star can't generate fouls?

At the moment Rose just doesn't have "it". And I don't think he's going to learn to have "it" just because we watch him with homer glasses on and only pay attention to the good and not the bad. Obviously I hope he becomes a star, because we've probably got no way to win a championship in the near future if he doesn't. But I realise my hoping he'll be a star doesn't make him one now.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rose should throw down at EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY. Why? Well for one, it's a higher percentage shot. Second, he has more of a chance of drawing a foul, increasing those ever important FT attempts. That, and he would just look like a stud every time he did.