Versteeg

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I started noticing his bad play mostly because of this forum and it was awful. He seems like an incredibly clumsy skater who shows up to scrums without purpose or functional hands. God he is a hack, highlighted by being on such a skilled team. Am I seeing a bear in a china closet? Is that why Q likes him?

He got healthy and reinserted into the starting lineup but it really looked like the only player we could consider replacing for him was the zombie Bickel. Not even the usual regular season no hit clumsy Bickel...no Versteeg isn't that good. But the end of the playoffs zombie infected Bigfoot meandering around hitting nothing and looking lost that guy.

Still...it seems like with his contract he is going to be the new Rozy and be around just because. Thoughts? And congrats on his recent child. Stop sucking and get some sleep Steeg!! Maybe he can bounce back?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
He's a quality middle 6 Winger when he is healthy... it just doesn't seem he can stay that healthy for much of a season anymore.

His major problem is he was always known for trying to do a little too much. Basically trying to be Kane when his hands or legs just aren't as good so he'd pass up on great shot chances or turn over the puck trying to do too much. When he is hampered and slowed down by his injuries that turns into disaster moments. After he came back from his Hand injury at some point he started having knee/leg issues again and said he might need a minor scope cleaning in the off-season. It's those health issues he hasn't been able to prevent from acting up again.

He was actually great again in the last two games of the final. Being benched for that period he was let him rest and get those "fresh legs" and he was the best skater of both teams. That Versteeg and November/December Versteeg is a great roster player, especially at 2.2 Mil. Though he is definitely trade fodder because it's hard to trust if he can be that for significant portions of the season.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My only real issue with him is his hockeyIQ. Sometimes it's worse than Stalberg's; he all-to-often makes plays/passes that you have to wonder what the *hell* was he thinking--or was he thinking.

At 2.2 or whatever he's at now, I don't have too much of a problem with him. This season he wasn't nearly as bad as he was in 2014. The 2.2 isn't really breaking the bank like Bickell's 4M is.

If he regresses he'll defintily be a Rosie (let's not forget Rosie was piss-poor all year until the Minny series, so his ire was deserved), but right now yeah, a middle-6 FWD is how you could describe him and by that ver nature as well as his cheap contract he could be useful next year as a relative vet presence on a team that has a lot of rookies.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would keep Steeger on our bottom 6 at his current price.... but yeah he does try to be Patrick Kane alot....

Ton

Liked Posts:
He's too inconsistent to rely on him being a top 6 forward... but at $2.2M I think hes worth keeping on the bottom 6, potentially using him in the top 6 if hes sparking.

I've never been a Versteeg fan, but even I have to admit at the price point, the Hawks can't move him right now unless it's to re-sign Richards at the same price.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's a quality middle 6 Winger when he is healthy... it just doesn't seem he can stay that healthy for much of a season anymore.

His major problem is he was always known for trying to do a little too much. Basically trying to be Kane when his hands or legs just aren't as good so he'd pass up on great shot chances or turn over the puck trying to do too much. When he is hampered and slowed down by his injuries that turns into disaster moments. After he came back from his Hand injury at some point he started having knee/leg issues again and said he might need a minor scope cleaning in the off-season. It's those health issues he hasn't been able to prevent from acting up again.

He was actually great again in the last two games of the final. Being benched for that period he was let him rest and get those "fresh legs" and he was the best skater of both teams. That Versteeg and November/December Versteeg is a great roster player, especially at 2.2 Mil. Though he is definitely trade fodder because it's hard to trust if he can be that for significant portions of the season.

Great assessment of him.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's always been streaky. It's great when he is scoring, but when he slumps he is a whipping boy.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It makes much sense to me that Bickell and Versteeg were probably the most injured guys on the roster for most of the playoffs. I was in jail the last two games and watching on a tiny TV from far away so I couldn't see names or numbers too well if Versteeg improved dramatically from the rest.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really hope he's out the door. He has cost us so many goals/games during his 2nd stint here. I'm sure someone from Rockford could do better.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So he can contribute to some lines. Maybe he helps transition another year or two while we wait on the younger guys to sort out who is emergent and who is the next hope failed.