I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Not me, I can't see the Bears 2ndary being any worse than Tucker's "cover who" approach. The Bears 2ndary will be much improved with Fangio and Donatell, imo.

I never said the bears defense wouldn't improve, just simply that there will be some blown coverages on the back end if we don't upgrade the talent back there in free agency/draft. if you listened to the podcast at all you would of heard them talking about fangios coverage schemes and how they aren't determined pre snap, that the coverage usually is determined post snap. the coverage reads what the receivers are doing and make the play to zone or man based off of that. IMO I don't forsee the guys we have in the secondary to be on the same page a lot of the time when making those decisions. I can see a guy like Jennings being in zone and our safties thinking its man, or vice versa. ill definitely say this, if they go into next season with the same group of guys in the secondary and there aren't a good amount of blown coverages, then fangio deserves to be the defensive coach of the year

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
It's why I think Rahim Moore will be the big free agent signing this year.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
With the players we have the NFL should let us play a 5-5 defense.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Fox said it at his press conference - the difference between a 4-3 and 3-4 is minimal because either way, they will run a 1-gap defense, so players will be asked to do the same things regardless of how many linemen and linebackers are on the field. Fangio himself said that he likes to call his defense a 3-4-3 because it's really both.

There is a clear distinction between that and a "Hybrid" system. Hybrid is a mix of both 1-gapping and 2-gapping, whereas Fangio's is just mixing 3-4 and 4-3 looks. Fangio's defense might look the same as a "Hybrid" defense at times, but the players are doing very different things in these two types of systems.

Was Fangio even hired at the time Fox did his press conference??

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He is going to run a 3-4, correct? Many on here believe the Bears will still be running a 4-3 base.
He operates a 3-4 D, he's gonna be running a 3-4 here no doubt.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Was Fangio even hired at the time Fox did his press conference??

Not officially, but when the Bears hired Fox, he sure as hell already knew what type of defense he was going to run. He was likely in talks with Fangio from the start.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It's all about pressure when you have to face Rodgers and to a lesser extent, Stafford. If they're contained and pressured they can be controlled or forced into mistakes. We're not going to beat GB without being in Aaron's face.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I never said the bears defense wouldn't improve, just simply that there will be some blown coverages on the back end if we don't upgrade the talent back there in free agency/draft. if you listened to the podcast at all you would of heard them talking about fangios coverage schemes and how they aren't determined pre snap, that the coverage usually is determined post snap. the coverage reads what the receivers are doing and make the play to zone or man based off of that. IMO I don't forsee the guys we have in the secondary to be on the same page a lot of the time when making those decisions. I can see a guy like Jennings being in zone and our safties thinking its man, or vice versa. ill definitely say this, if they go into next season with the same group of guys in the secondary and there aren't a good amount of blown coverages, then fangio deserves to be the defensive coach of the year

This is true. I'm not sure we have anyone who really excels in man.