***Video*** Fields on being a bear

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Being highly intelligent and being able to process quickly are 2 different things. You can have a genius level iq but if you can't read a defense, work through your progression, then make make the correct decision withing 2-3 seconds post snap then everything else is meaningless.

I was reading the draft reports thread and his negatives were giving me flashbacks of Cutler. They all say he trusts his arm too much and will force throws to his first read because he is slow to process and doesn't go through his progressions. Cutler was also a guy coaches raved about how smart he was in the class room but on the field his downfall was he was always too slow to process what was happening. Both Mitch and Cutler had that same issue. Hopefully its not a problem with Fields as well. No qb can be great without that ability to process everything in 2-3 seconds.
OU runs option routes my guy. When I say you don't know what you're watching I don't mean that as a slight but there's no other way to put it. You're used to watching alot of traditional west coast quick reads with alot of pre snap determination based off of defensive alignment. OU is polar opposite of that. The plays are longer in development and require more post snap processing.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Being highly intelligent and being able to process quickly are 2 different things. You can have a genius level iq but if you can't read a defense, work through your progression, then make make the correct decision withing 2-3 seconds post snap then everything else is meaningless.

I was reading the draft reports thread and his negatives were giving me flashbacks of Cutler. They all say he trusts his arm too much and will force throws to his first read because he is slow to process and doesn't go through his progressions. Cutler was also a guy coaches raved about how smart he was in the class room but on the field his downfall was he was always too slow to process what was happening. Both Mitch and Cutler had that same issue. Hopefully its not a problem with Fields as well. No qb can be great without that ability to process everything in 2-3 seconds.

jay was not that smart. He wasn't a leader and he was a loser. There's no comparison with Fields. Mitch was better mentally than jay.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
He doesn't really know how to play quarterback when he isn't by far the best athlete on the field. Before you point to Bama and Clemson, please know that both Bama and Clemson were not their usual great defensive selves this past college football season.

Justin Fields faced good defenses against Northwestern and Indiana and got creamed both times. There's obvious potential to him, he physically has all the tools, but when are people going to learn that this position is ninety percent between the ears?
Are you being serious? 67 TDs to 9 Ints in his college career. 5700 yards thru the air, 68% completion percentage. Are you honestly saying those two games were the only two times he faced good defenses?? He had a few bad games and was lights out the rest of the time.

Please tell me you’re a Lance fan. The guy who played 1 season against 2 and 3 star recruits who will never see a NFL field and eclipsed 200 yards passing 4 times and has the lowest accuracy percentage out of any prospect by a mile. You know, all the “he doesn’t really know how to play QB” stuff.

Who knows how Fields will turn out, but he was QB 2 in this draft IMO. He has every tool imaginable to be a franchise QB.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Are you being serious? 67 TDs to 9 Ints in his college career. 5700 yards thru the air, 68% completion percentage. Are you honestly saying those two games were the only two times he faced good defenses?? He had a few bad games and was lights out the rest of the time.

Please tell me you’re a Lance fan. The guy who played 1 season against 2 and 3 star recruits who will never see a NFL field and eclipsed 200 yards passing 4 times and has the lowest accuracy percentage out of any prospect by a mile. You know, all the “he doesn’t really know how to play QB” stuff.

Who knows how Fields will turn out, but he was QB 2 in this draft IMO. He has every tool imaginable to be a franchise QB.
I actually am a pretty big Trey Lance fan. I don't scout the stat line ever, scouting the stat line is how you wind up selecting Dwayne Haskins. I hardly am some quarterback genius who can pour over this tape and find all the little tells, but I know when a guy is playing like shit and I know when a guy is getting carried by his teammates.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I wanted the Bears to get Fields, but worry that he can be a guy you really want nothing to do with.
So far, he has done nothing to calm those fears.

It looked like has was pissed that he got drafted by the bears, and this video gives me the "you're just lucky to be talking to ME" vibes.

But I hope it's simply overreaction on my part, and I will give him some leeway given that these are young guys we're talking about.

Physically, he has tools. Mentally, I worry that he's Cade McNown 2.0. But I know he's got talent.
This guy is nothing like Cade McNown. He‘s a gamer. Just an off the wall, ridiculous take...

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Dude what are u smoking? Are questioning his mental capacity?

"Justin Fields, the guy who supposedly can't go through his reads, doesn't have great work ethic, all this bogus stuff -- he scored the highest. Ever. He scored the highest that they can rank him. He scored a 130 on it. [Patrick] Mahomes was like a 108. Josh Allen was like a 108. Over 100 is good.

-Former NFL quarterback and current analyst Mark Sanchez

FWIW I scored a 150 on it.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I wanted the Bears to get Fields, but worry that he can be a guy you really want nothing to do with.
So far, he has done nothing to calm those fears.

It looked like has was pissed that he got drafted by the bears, and this video gives me the "you're just lucky to be talking to ME" vibes.

But I hope it's simply overreaction on my part, and I will give him some leeway given that these are young guys we're talking about.

Physically, he has tools. Mentally, I worry that he's Cade McNown 2.0. But I know he's got talent.

Cade McNown.....no comparison. We should've taken Culpepper
1619762853658.png

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Justin Fields really does get stuck on reads, and that isn't a problem that is going to go away when he was NFL-quality edge rushers looking to decapitate him on every play. The Bears are not to the NFL what Ohio State is to the B1G (or even college football at large). He's going to have a big time reality check when he realizes that he's surrounded by guys who are substantially worse than the defenders he is playing against.
????

None of this is based on anything other than "Fields does get stuck on reads." He does have his issues, I'll list his weaknesses as I see them:

- Struggles in reacting to pressure
- Holds the football too long
- Shows a bit of difficulty in going through his progression

But I don't know what you mean by the bolded statement. ARob doesn't win most his matchups, and doesn't sometimes demolish DBs? Mooney wasn't getting open regularly? Jimmy Graham isn't a beast in the RZ? David Montgomery wasn't one of the better RBs in the league? Cole Kmet isn't a good outlet/underneath target? The interior of the line is poor?

Sure, he's not going to have a stacked supporting cast, but he's going to have guys who can help him. Weaknesses at the tackle spots, but honestly, it's too soon to evaluate his supporting cast because there's still guys who will be added.

Let's look at the positives:
- Accurate passer
- Big arm
- one of the 3 fastest QBs in the league
- good deep ball
- Throws well on the run as well as from the pocket
- RPO threat

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
He has glaring weaknesses and now you have sent him to a dysfunctional quarterback hell where his number one wide receiver is destined to hold out and his two starters at tackle are literally the two worst in the NFL.
Could you be anymore negative and biased? Nothing you said was close to reality.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I've watched alot of him over the years. That's his general demeanor during interviews. All business.
I honestly got concerned when i saw him give his whole family half insencere hugs. Then my adult brain took over and estimated that he is probably hyper focused and can celebrate with his family later when he doenst have a camera crew in his living room.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Don’t mind that, he is at least expressing himself and what he is thinking. Mitch always seems so fake and unwilling to express himself...just “happy to be here”
I dont think Trubisky was fake, just intorverted and a little geeky. I didnt see it as an unwillingness to be real but more of a personality characteristic.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Where does this even come from? Is this just a "feeling"? Lol.

I'm an Ohio State fan, I watch a lot of games. I don't know where this is coming from.
It comes from being negetive about any move the Bears make because you want to protect yourself and its easier to shit on the team you root for than look at the situation objectively. To be fair these people are probably the ones that cared the most at one point and got crushed

Imabearsfan

Liked Posts:
He doesn't really know how to play quarterback when he isn't by far the best athlete on the field. Before you point to Bama and Clemson, please know that both Bama and Clemson were not their usual great defensive selves this past college football season.

Justin Fields faced good defenses against Northwestern and Indiana and got creamed both times. There's obvious potential to him, he physically has all the tools, but when are people going to learn that this position is ninety percent between the ears?

Imabearsfan thinks you’re a fuckin idiot.

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
There's definitely reason to be concerned with Fields and he might not pan out, but unless you're drafting 1st overall and have a Lawrence or Luck in the draft, you're taking a risk. There's a lot to like about Fields and in a different draft he could certainly have gone 1st overall. QB is just such a valuable position that you take those risks with very high picks. Guys like Pitts, Chase, and Sewell have very few concerns about their transition to the NFL and yet guys like Wilson and Lance were taken above them, despite the alarming amount of weaknesses both have to work on. While you take into account the floor, you're really picking your QB based on their upside and Fields' upside is very very high.

My concern was paying the farm to move up for one of these guys. They might be talented players, but we would no longer have the draft capital to give them the necessary protection and weapons to properly develop. Giving up next years 1st isn't ideal, but you got to give up something to get something and we kept our 2nd and 3rd rounders these next 2 drafts which is enough if we scout correctly.

Also, let's not pretend like the Jets and Niners are necessarily smart when it comes to quarterbacks. Jets have a new regime, so it's unfair to pin past mistakes on them, but their ownership also does not have a history of hiring the right guys as of now. Niners are rather well run, but they definitely have made mistakes when it comes to quarterback. They gave up a 2nd rounder for Jimmy G who I do not consider to be good at all and then paid him a pretty big salary on top of it. They didn't have a choice, but it was still ultimately a poor decision. Furthermore, while being QB needy, they passed on both Watson and Mahomes to draft Solomon Thomas instead. I think Kyle Shanahan is a great coach for quarterbacks and find Lance intriguing and definitely think they can make it work, but it isn't as if Fields was passed up on by two franchises who are elite at identifying quarterbacks. Time will tell but a worthy gamble.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I honestly got concerned when i saw him give his whole family half insencere hugs. Then my adult brain took over and estimated that he is probably hyper focused and can celebrate with his family later when he doenst have a camera crew in his living room.
Dad was a former Marine. May not have been an emotional guy and instilled tough love with Justin. Fields may deem showing personal affection (love or emotion in general) publicly as a weakness and was uncomfortable with cameras around.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Always conserns. Fields could bust just like any other QB prospect. Consider this though. If he had stayed in school he would UNDOUBTEDLY be the #1 overall pick in 2022. The bears got him at 11.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Dad was a former Marine. May not have been an emotional guy and instilled tough love with Justin. Fields may deem showing personal affection (love or emotion in general) publicly as a weakness and was uncomfortable with cameras around
That could be a very accurate and honest reading of the situation. I take a while to form a real opinion. Seems like a winner and good kid from what i have seen.