*Video* thinking football: Rome Odunze breakdown

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I’m not as high on rome as others and it’s mainly due to separation or lack thereof. I think he’s closer to a high end number 2/low end number 1 than he is to an elite #1. Nothing wrong with that, but he just doesn’t seem very shifty or fluid. He pretty much catches everything thrown his way and is great at contested catches, so might not matter like you said.
He separates just fine. This narrative is a falicy, backed up by film and metrics. Keenan Allen ran a 4.7 coming out and has no problem separating.

Just because he's good at the catch point when it's congested doesn't mean he isn't good elsewhere.

Wrs with good release packages tend to be open more then they're not.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
He separates just fine. This narrative is a falicy, backed up by film and metrics. Keenan Allen ran a 4.7 coming out and has no problem separating.

Just because he's good at the catch point when it's congested doesn't mean he isn't good elsewhere.

Wrs with good release packages tend to be open more then they're not.

Has nothing to do with speed. It just seems like he’s always covered and doesn’t separate as much as MHJ/Nabers…and it’s not like he routinely went up against great corners. Steve Smith also made similar comments for what it’s worth.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Has nothing to do with speed. It just seems like he’s always covered and doesn’t separate as much as MHJ/Nabers…and it’s not like he routinely went up against great corners. Steve Smith also made similar comments for what it’s worth.
Show me an example, it's easy to spit things out in the either. As someone who's watched several husky games and then went back and watch a few over again, I can't think of a game that stands out where this is the case. Even in the Natty he was getting separation with ease and Penix was off his game. Rome could have had a record breaking performance for a national title game.

Ball placement also factors in to speration, all the creator noted in the video in the OP, Penix often left the ball short when throwing to Rome.

All of this is to stay, obviously there are times when he gets covered. Happens to everyone, be he open far more then he's not.

Also of note, the pac 12 puts a ton of DBS in the NFL.

Teams like Oregon, Utah and Wash have a good reputation for developing DBs.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Show me an example, it's easy to spit things out in the either. As someone who's watched several husky games and then went back and watch a few over again, I can't think of a game that stands out where this is the case. Even in the Natty he was getting separation with ease and Penix was off his game. Rome could have had a record breaking performance for a national title game.

Ball placement also factors in to speration, all the creator noted in the video in the OP, Penix often left the ball short when throwing to Rome.

All of this is to stay, obviously there are times when he gets covered. Happens to everyone, be he open far more then he's not.

Also of note, the pac 12 puts a ton of DBS in the NFL.

Teams like Oregon, Utah and Wash have a good reputation for developing DBs.

We’re just seeing two different things I suppose. By no means am I saying he’s bad. I think he’s going to be really good, I just think he’s a tier below say MHJ/Nabers. Granted, I did not watch too many Washington games

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'm OK with him being a tier below the extremely rare time a WR was only kept out of the #1 spot because of a QB. It's still an extremely rare year where not 1 but 3 WRs are worthy of going in the top 10 and we got one along with the QB everyone thought should go #1.

If he's a god at contested catches that's Cutler's Marshall in Denver and that's a great help to a rookie QB once the trust is built up. You're not going to cover blitz with a WR the QB can trust will come down with the ball. And the way Williams can buy time freeballing they may not even need to be contested catches.
I mean there are also 2 other great WRs and a TE out there and the QB is able to see and hit the whole field.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Daniel Jeremiah and Matt Miller both had Rome as their number 3 overall player in the entire draft, behind C.W and MHJ.