Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whats so great about him. he has 67 k's to 52 walks. For a guy who has plus plus power. That is fucking awesome. No doubt in my mind that this kid will be a major league hitter for a very long time. He is an absolute complete hitter.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Hopefully he'll be getting some work with the Smokies soon. I'd love to see him in the lineup with Baez, Alcantara and Szczur.

Dan's been ripping up the baseball since he's been in the system. I wouldn't mind seeing him jumped to Des Moines ASAP. There's no real good reason not to.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Whats so great about him. he has 67 k's to 52 walks. For a guy who has plus plus power. That is fucking awesome. No doubt in my mind that this kid will be a major league hitter for a very long time. He is an absolute complete hitter.

We've talked about Dan and my love affair for him before. This guy is our best hitter in the minors. I don't want to see him held back nor should he be. I would like to see him in AAA to end this season.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Thanks to all for the comments. Much appreciated. I got to hangout in the clubhouse for a while before and after a game last week. He is definitely a player that loves to be around the game. He had a great game taht day including a walk off single. Very impressed during my interview with him. Answered all questions very well.

And who knows, what if the National League gets a DH in two years, that would be great

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He looked good at the plate the night I saw Kane County against the Chiefs. He seems ready to be moved up from low A.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks to all for the comments. Much appreciated. I got to hangout in the clubhouse for a while before and after a game last week. He is definitely a player that loves to be around the game. He had a great game taht day including a walk off single. Very impressed during my interview with him. Answered all questions very well.

And who knows, what if the National League gets a DH in two years, that would be great

May not have too, reports are saying his defense is not as bad as advertised and has shown progression there.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
May not have too, reports are saying his defense is not as bad as advertised and has shown progression there.

i just hope for my own selfish reasons, he still with KC next week cause ill be there..hoping that bryant gets moved up but doubt it..

only problem i see with vogelbach is playing 1B, i just dont see him playing there for the cubs unless rizzo totally falls off which i dont see happening..

best case scenerio for the cubs is he is used as a piece that helps bring in a nice major league player in return..
then im sure like we did with grace and palmiero, we will all be watching to see if we kept the right guy.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
i just hope for my own selfish reasons, he still with KC next week cause ill be there..hoping that bryant gets moved up but doubt it..

only problem i see with vogelbach is playing 1B, i just dont see him playing there for the cubs unless rizzo totally falls off which i dont see happening..

best case scenerio for the cubs is he is used as a piece that helps bring in a nice major league player in return..
then im sure like we did with grace and palmiero, we will all be watching to see if we kept the right guy.

He could potentially be an Evan Gattis-type guy like how the Braves have been using him so far. Gattis is very much in the same boat -- catcher and first are blocked by McCann and Freeman, respectively. I know he's not a catcher, but potentially giving him time in left may work.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:

The WORST but best case scenario for him and the Cubs is that the NL inherits the DH before he gets here. But that's not good to me.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He could potentially be an Evan Gattis-type guy like how the Braves have been using him so far. Gattis is very much in the same boat -- catcher and first are blocked by McCann and Freeman, respectively. I know he's not a catcher, but potentially giving him time in left may work.

While the reviews have been decent so far on Vogelbach at first, it seems like no credible is saying that he has a chance to play anywhere but first. I would love if he could stand in LF and mash, but it seems likely that Vogelbach keeps hitting it will mean choosing between him and Rizzo.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
While the reviews have been decent so far on Vogelbach at first, it seems like no credible is saying that he has a chance to play anywhere but first. I would love if he could stand in LF and mash, but it seems likely that Vogelbach keeps hitting it will mean choosing between him and Rizzo.

There is no reason I can see where Rizzo couldn't be moved to the outfield if Dan is ever brought up for a look. It's not like we are going to win a World Series anytime soon.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no reason I can see where Rizzo couldn't be moved to the outfield if Dan is ever brought up for a look. It's not like we are going to win a World Series anytime soon.
Rizzo moving to LF is more a possibility than Vogelbach moving 1B, but you are downgrading two spots defesively with that move. The old cliche is if you can hit they will find a spot, and maybe Vogelbach forces that issue if he can continue to mash his way through the pitchers league prior to AAA.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Rizzo moving to LF is more a possibility than Vogelbach moving 1B, but you are downgrading two spots defesively with that move. The old cliche is if you can hit they will find a spot, and maybe Vogelbach forces that issue if he can continue to mash his way through the pitchers league prior to AAA.

Sounds like from what I've read that Dan is improving greatly on defense along with his diet. I wouldn't expect to see a huge difference in defense from him, once he's ready, over Rizzo at first.

Rizzo seems like a decent athlete and could very easily man one of the corner outfield positions if he had to. If we are truely in rebuilding mode some bumps are going to occur and experimentation should take place.

I'd rather see the youngsters up and trying over the one and two year bench players brought in as filler.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like from what I've read that Dan is improving greatly on defense along with his diet. I wouldn't expect to see a huge difference in defense from him, once he's ready, over Rizzo at first.

Rizzo seems like a decent athlete and could very easily man one of the corner outfield positions if he had to. If we are truely in rebuilding mode some bumps are going to occur and experimentation should take place.

I'd rather see the youngsters up and trying over the one and two year bench players brought in as filler.
Well I don't think Vogelbach is likely to get fast tracked either though. I think after what happened with Hoyer and Rizzo in SD they are going to remain cautious in their promotions. I mean Almora was/is a higher touted guy especially in terms of makeup and has been destroying the ball at a similar level and yet he is also still in KC. While both could get a bump before the year is out, it seems as likely that they don't hit high A until the start of next year.

As far as the other stuff goes, we shall see. I don't think we are likely to see many rookies break camp at the start of next year, but Lake and Olt could take two spots you would think, Vitters and Jackson maybe as well but if they are more than bench guys I would be surprised. I also wouldn't be shocked if we saw a signing on the level of Edwin Jackson for the lineup. It will be interesting to see how this team is built for 2014.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Glad he's doing well, but

If he's a "power bat" that has no position defensively, we need to keep someone else.

If one of his supporters is already looking for a DH in the NL in order for him to play, I will withhold my enthusiasm.

And there is no way he is our best hitter in the system. Soler and Baez are better for sure.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Well I don't think Vogelbach is likely to get fast tracked either though. I think after what happened with Hoyer in Rizzo they are going to remain cautious in their promotions. I mean Almora was/is a higher touted guy especially in terms of makeup and has been destroying the ball at a similar level and yet he is also still in KC. While both could get a bump before the year is out, it seems as likely that they don't hit high A until the start of next year.

As far as the other stuff goes, we shall see. I don't think we are likely to see many rookies break camp at the start of next year, but Lake and Olt could take two spots you would think, Vitters and Jackson maybe as well but if they are more than bench guys I would be surprised. I also wouldn't be shocked if we saw a signing on the level of Edwin Jackson for the lineup. It will be interesting to see how this team is built for 2014.

You are probably correct in your assessment. The front office has been seemingly cautious when it comes to their prospects. It's too slow for my liking without trying to be competitve at the ML level at the same time.

Interesting is an understatement for what may happen for 2014. Sounds like from one of the links from Silence a few days ago, that Hoyer mentioned that there wouldn't be too many "youngsters" brought up for next season. So I suspect more garbage and we could end up with another 100 loss season.

Not much to look forward to, but I guess we shall see.

Off the subject a bit Dabs. What are your thoughts on the Yankees possibly being able to shed some payroll with A-Roid's situation ? You know Cashman would love to get the extra cash to extend Cano without penalties. What better place to get it from than A-Roids contract. It looks like Selig is willing to help them out.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Off the subject a bit Dabs. What are your thoughts on the Yankees possibly being able to shed some payroll with A-Roid's situation ? You know Cashman would love to get the extra cash to extend Cano without penalties. What better place to get it from than A-Roids contract. It looks like Selig is willing to help them out.
Does seem like a bit of a perfect storm there with Cano being able to get his monster deal and Yankees being able to try to get below luxury tax threshold. The legality of all this stuff is so new and crazy since the rules are seemingly being rewritten everyday. I am not certain how it will all play out, but the Yankees could hit the jackpot and get out of those last few years of ARods deal.

I am holding out the tiniest slivers of hope that Cano hits the market and that the Cubs are serious about pursuit of him. It is the tiniest slivers mind you.