• King Kong (1933)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aliens (1986)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Vote: Best Horror Film All-time?

The forum only allows 10 poll selections, so if you don't see your choice, write it below.

What's your favorite horror film and why?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Halloween basically laid the groundwork for all slasher films afterwards. I'm not big into horror films though.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Fozzie Land, Muppet City, The Former US of A
What gave me chills as a kid borders on comedic moments these days.

Not knowing what blair witch was and watching it high.. was good.. i remember walking to me car that night looking around all paranoid.. was faded though..

last horror film i liked was Rob Zombies first halloween... just like how gritty and dirty things were... so idk... kwaidan from me film watching 20s or if you want a real scare, fred savages little monsters.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nothing has scared me more than ‘the Exorcist’ since I saw it as a young Catholic kid. I have no other why’s
If the category was the scariest film, I'm with you. I had to go with Jaws because it was easily the best film on that list. Hard to believe it's been nearly 50 years since it was released.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Blair Witch Project was quite good IMO.

I don't really get bothered by most horror movies, but that one gets my hackles up.

Granada

Liked Posts:
There was really only one movie that truly scared me as a kid, and that was Candyman (the original). Seriously, I used to watch all the Friday the 13th's when I was a very small child -- for whatever reason, I was obsessed with Jason and went as him for like 7 Halloweens in a row -- so I wasn't an easily-scared-from-movies kid growing up, but Candyman scared the shit out of me. It's a solid movie, and to me one of the scariest, but that doesn't necessarily make it my favorite.

If I had to pick a personal favorite, I'd probably pick The People Under the Stairs, not because it's scary, but I just loved that movie growing up. I must have rented that 100's of times.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is also up there for me. And Poltergeist. The original Halloween I also love. If I have to pick from the list, I'd go The Shining.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
There was really only one movie that truly scared me as a kid, and that was Candyman (the original). Seriously, I used to watch all the Friday the 13th's when I was a very small child -- for whatever reason, I was obsessed with Jason and went as him for like 7 Halloweens in a row -- so I wasn't an easily-scared-from-movies kid growing up, but Candyman scared the shit out of me. It's a solid movie, and to me one of the scariest, but that doesn't necessarily make it my favorite.

If I had to pick a personal favorite, I'd probably pick The People Under the Stairs, not because it's scary, but I just loved that movie growing up. I must have rented that 100's of times.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is also up there for me. And Poltergeist. The original Halloween I also love. If I have to pick from the list, I'd go The Shining.
The scene with the tequila and the worm in Poltergeist 2 fucked me up as a kid, still kind of does!

I didn't know until we were bored and binge watching the series a few years ago that there was a poltergeist 3 set in chicago lol

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know not technically a horror movie but imagine if they made Ghost 1990 today.

I suppose that's just Invisible Man?

Granada

Liked Posts:
The scene with the tequila and the worm in Poltergeist 2 fucked me up as a kid, still kind of does!

I didn't know until we were bored and binge watching the series a few years ago that there was a poltergeist 3 set in chicago lol
Oh man, I think I saw Poltergeist 3 once, ages ago. I barely remember it, think there's an extremely creepy old dude in there with a weird real-life backstory, etc. Can't remember what the backstory is exactly now and am too lazy to google it, but it's just one of many sad/ironic/eerie backstories of the Poltergeist series.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Oh man, I think I saw Poltergeist 3 once, ages ago. I barely remember it, think there's an extremely creepy old dude in there with a weird real-life backstory, etc. Can't remember what the backstory is exactly now and am too lazy to google it, but it's just one of many sad/ironic/eerie backstories of the Poltergeist series.
I don’t remember either haha but the exterior shots had them living in an apartment in the hancock tower or something

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Nothing has scared me more than ‘the Exorcist’ since I saw it as a young Catholic kid. I have no other why’s
My parents went to see it in theatre. They didn't go very often.

I saw first on TV when I was a kid, and it freaked me out. I would say it's the scariest film ever made, and I good film too. Had trouble getting to sleep because of the fear in my system.

The other thing that scared me at the time was I started reading The Amityville Horror paperback that was laying around. I think I just jumped into the middle and could only read a few pages.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Halloween basically laid the groundwork for all slasher films afterwards. I'm not big into horror films though.
Yep, Halloween (1978) was huge. It stuck with me for sure.

I actually haven't seen Candyman yet lol. Friday the 13th was very influential. Part 2 was decent. Chainsaw Massacre is probably up there for scariest with Exorcist and Carrie.

I wanted to add:

Halloween (1978)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Psycho (1960)
Poltergeist (1982)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1973)
The Fly (1987)
Carrie (1976)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Nosferatu (1922)
Suspiria (1977)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
The Sixth Sense (1999)

Last edited:

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Blair Witch Project was quite good IMO.

I don't really get bothered by most horror movies, but that one gets my hackles up.
Blair Witch was good. The acting and style was very realistic. Love when they were getting lost in woods. I wasn't crazy about the ending the first time around. It's a classic ending, but being so many viewers got lost there, they probably could have done it another way.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I guess I never really considered Jaws to be a horror film, but if those are the choices, I vote jaws by 1 million

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Blair Witch was good. The acting and style was very realistic. Love when they were getting lost in woods. I wasn't crazy about the ending the first time around. It's a classic ending, but being so many viewers got lost there, they probably could have done it another way.

Same on the ending first time around.

But the mystery of it was the best part.

Here's another one idk is horror but also got my hackles up, Signs.

Imagine if they made Signs today, they'd show the kids seeing the aliens in Brazil on TikTok like its no big deal in the first 30 seconds.

Horror is so much more scary when you and the protagonist are uncertain.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Same on the ending first time around.

But the mystery of it was the best part.

Here's another one idk is horror but also got my hackles up, Signs.

Imagine if they made Signs today, they'd show the kids seeing the aliens in Brazil on TikTok like its no big deal in the first 30 seconds.

Horror is so much more scary when you and the protagonist are uncertain.
I liked Signs. The alien scenes from Brazil were great! The photo realism was spot on.

It seemed a bit disjointed in spots, but it was very effective. So true good horror is when you and protagonists are uncertain, things are out of their control. The car accident. "Alien", "TTCSM" and 'The Thing' was good that way.

Speaking of photo-realism, did you ever see Chronicle (2012)? That was nicely done.

Speaking of M Night Shyamalan, The Sixth Sense was one of the best horror films too.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
What gave me chills as a kid borders on comedic moments these days.

Not knowing what blair witch was and watching it high.. was good.. i remember walking to me car that night looking around all paranoid.. was faded though..

last horror film i liked was Rob Zombies first halloween... just like how gritty and dirty things were... so idk... kwaidan from me film watching 20s or if you want a real scare, fred savages little monsters.

Rob Zombie's Halloween was too gritty and dirty for me. The first scene when the kid's "family" sat at the kitchen table... that was horrific. I felt so sorry for them all... it was like watching a Frederick Wiseman' cinéma vérité documentary of a deeply disturbed home. I honestly could not get through the much of that movie.

Kwaidan (1964) is a good call. That was a good film. Excellent cinematography. The Black Hair segment is a trip.

Last edited: