• Aliens (1986)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I liked Signs. The alien scenes from Brazil were great! The photo realism was spot on.

It seemed a bit disjointed in spots, but it was very effective. So true good horror is when you and protagonists are uncertain, things are out of their control. The car accident. "Alien", "TTCSM" and 'The Thing' was good that way.

Speaking of photo-realism, did you ever see Chronicle (2012)? That was nicely done.

Speaking of M Night Shyamalan, The Sixth Sense was one of the best horror films too.

Never saw Chronicle, may have to check that out.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rough choice...like asking my favorite band...so many qualifiers.....

Not going to overthink it too much and go with....

a497b8b0-ff93-4ab8-a04a-b5b4f5f770a9.jpeg.jpg

The crippling claustrophobia alone should put it on any list, but great jump scares and well crafted monsters shoot it to the top for me.

Go watch it alone in the dark right now...double dog dare ya!

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was really only one movie that truly scared me as a kid, and that was Candyman (the original). Seriously, I used to watch all the Friday the 13th's when I was a very small child -- for whatever reason, I was obsessed with Jason and went as him for like 7 Halloweens in a row -- so I wasn't an easily-scared-from-movies kid growing up, but Candyman scared the shit out of me. It's a solid movie, and to me one of the scariest, but that doesn't necessarily make it my favorite.

If I had to pick a personal favorite, I'd probably pick The People Under the Stairs, not because it's scary, but I just loved that movie growing up. I must have rented that 100's of times.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is also up there for me. And Poltergeist. The original Halloween I also love. If I have to pick from the list, I'd go The Shining.
Seems like we had quite similar childhoods.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rob Zombie's Halloween was too gritty and dirty for me. The first scene when the kid's "family" sat at the kitchen table... that was horrific. I felt so sorry for them all... it was like watching a Frederick Wiseman' cinéma vérité documentary of a deeply disturbed home. I honestly could not get through the much of that movie.

Kwaidan (1964) is a good call. That was a good film. Excellent cinematography. The Black Hair segment is a trip.
Hoichi the Earless is my favorite from Kwaidan.

Kuroneko and Onibaba are two really great Japanese horror films as well. Particularly like the former.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Rough choice...like asking my favorite band...so many qualifiers.....

Not going to overthink it too much and go with....

View attachment 31896

The crippling claustrophobia alone should put it on any list, but great jump scares and well crafted monsters shoot it to the top for me.

Go watch it alone in the dark right now...double dog dare ya!
That movie sent me.

But I will never watch Henry: portrait of a serial killer again

Texas chainsaw massacre is probably my favorite horror movie though, and all the same sorta themed movies it inspired get my spooky juices going

Granada

Liked Posts:
Yep, Halloween (1978) was huge. It stuck with me for sure.

I actually haven't seen Candyman yet lol. Friday the 13th was very influential. Part 2 was decent. Chainsaw Massacre is probably up there for scariest with Exorcist and Carrie.

I wanted to add:

Halloween (1978)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Psycho (1960)
Poltergeist (1982)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1973)
The Fly (1987)
Carrie (1976)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Nosferatu (1922)
Suspiria (1977)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
The Sixth Sense (1999)
Nice list. Yeah Part 2,4, 6 are my favorite Friday the 13th's.

Although it's not scary, I saw Killer Clowns from Outer Space on the other night. It's interesting watching that movie now as an adult and catching all of the humor that went over your head as a kid.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Although it's not scary, I saw Killer Clowns from Outer Space on the other night. It's interesting watching that movie now as an adult and catching all of the humor that went over your head as a kid.
Killer Klowns from Outer Space was certainly creative packed with trippy practical effects. Plus, it's always great to see John Vernon (Dean Wormer/Animal House) chewing the furniture again.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Killer Klowns from Outer Space was certainly creative packed with trippy practical effects. Plus, it's always great to see John Vernon (Dean Wormer/Animal House) chewing the furniture again.
Great song too

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Well by best horror movie and scariest are 2 different things.

The best is probably The Silence of the Lambs as it is the only true horror movie to win best picture.

The scariest is really going to depend on what hits home on a personal level. When I was a kid, IT really scared the shit out of me. As an adult, The Ring and Conjuring probably are the scariest. Jaws isn't really a horror movie btw.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Loved Klowns when I was a kid. I wonder if that video game came out yet...

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Well by best horror movie and scariest are 2 different things.

The best is probably The Silence of the Lambs as it is the only true horror movie to win best picture.

The scariest is really going to depend on what hits home on a personal level. When I was a kid, IT really scared the shit out of me. As an adult, The Ring and Conjuring probably are the scariest. Jaws isn't really a horror movie btw.
Yep, scariest isn't the same as best. Scary can help make a horror film be a good horror film.

I agree, The Conjuring with the scene's in the kids room were pretty scary. Wan does it well. And the scene where the long black hair in the face b/w chic comes out the TV is some scary wits from The Ring. Speaking of Wan, Dead Silence has some dead scary scenes too.

I hate to break it to you, but neither IMDB nor Rottentomatoes list The Silence of the Lambs as a horror film... they give it Crime, Drama, Thriller and Mystery & Thriller/Crime respectively. They give Jaws Adventure, Mystery/Thriller, and Holiday/Mystery & Thriller respectively.

I'm not a stickler on defining what a "horror" film is, as it's always subjective. Jaws undisputedly has tons of horror elements in it. It pumps up the visceral terror in lots of scenes... I'd argue making people afraid to go into the water was the kick of Jaws, not the scumbag mayor trying to keep the beaches open.

I think you'll find Horror lists by horror aficionados almost always list Jaws. Whereas studios will avoid it, as horror still carries a "B-movie" stigma to it.

There's lots of films where it's really hard to declare if they're also part of the horror genre or not, like Alien, Gojira, Them, Aliens, Se7en, Predator, Arachnophobia, Shawn of the Dead, Fright Night, Silver Bullet, Ghostbusters, etc.

Last edited:

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Fozzie Land, Muppet City, The Former US of A

Dont forget to rewatch the toxic avenger