1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Yes.

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
Yes he was.
He just happened to play next to the greatest basketball player in the history of the game.
Even Kobe would of been #2 next to Jordan.
Come on people, this argument has gone on for 3 months straight.
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeezuz!!!!! THE BULLS HAD 2 FRANCHISE PLAYERS IN THE 90S IN WHICH THE RESULTS WERE 6 CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Has it ever occured to some of you that some teams in NBA history have had more than 1 franchise player on there team?Those are usually the teams that win championships.
When Shaq and Kobe played together they were both franchise players just. Like Jordan and Pippen.
Even now the lakers have 2 franchise players.
Pau Gasol could easily be a franchise player on a team.
The Miami Heat have 3 franchise players.
It seems like a lot of you don't consider Pippen a franchise player because Jordan was on the same team.
That's ridiculous fellas.

When Jordan retired in 93, you cannot tell me that Pippen wasn't the man.
He was the franchise player...

Last edited:

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
Here is a mindbender for you Pippen haters.
If Michael Jordan was on the currant Bulls team, would you guys say Derrick Rose isn't a franchsise player?...........According to the recent statements about Pippen by some of you, that would mean Rose would just be riding coattails and be nicknamed "Tonto" too.

Since most the discussions on this forum have been about Scottie Pippen the last 3 months, would that mean I'm CCS's franchise poster??
AFTER ALL, I AM THE ONE THAT STARTED THIS DISCUSSION IN THE FIRST PLACE.
I guess my award winning topic of the year makes me the mvp....LoL

Maybe Rush should give me an award for the "most discussed topic of the year" or "trend setter of the year".
Dam near every thread put up turns into a Pippen conspiracy argument.
Don't thank me all at once.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's in this odd nexus of yes or no. Could you have built a championship contender around Pippen? Yes. Can you for sure say that Pippen was a championship caliber player on his own? No.

It depends on what your definition of a franchise player is really. In some views Pippen wasn't because he didn't win a ring. But when he was on his own he didn't make it out of the conference semi's.

Also, does Pippen become the guy he was without playing beside MJ before MJ retired? Does Pippen grow as a player that much out in Seattle? Really tough call. At Pippen's peak was he a franchise guy? IMO yes, but he doesn't achieve that peak without playing next to MJ for years first.

How good of a franchise player would he have been? Who knows. He was already having back surgery by the early 90's and was banged up quite a bit in the mid to late 90's as well. A team may have tried to build around him but his career alone may have taken a Grant Hill-esque route with injuries.

This isn't so much a "Was" question IMO, as much as it is a "could he have been".

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is a mindbender for you Pippen haters.
If Michael Jordan was on the currant Bulls team, would you guys say Derrick Rose isn't a franchsise player?...........According to the recent statements about Pippen by some of you, that would mean Rose would just be riding coattails and be nicknamed "Tonto" too.

That's a Special person example.

When Pippen arrived on the Bulls no one knew what he was capable of. MJ was already an established player and a super star. Judging that against MJ showing up now with Rose on the team with the benefit of hindsight/knowing what MJ was doesn't make any sense. The Bulls didn't know for sure what they were getting with Pippen.

And no, MJ would not be a franchise player if he joined the Bulls now. He's old, fat, and has a Hitler mustache.

Your example is awful.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Only if you grade Scottie post Jordan influence. Then he is definitely a franchise player.

If you go off the assumption that he would have become just as good if he were drafted and played anywhere else, then no, that I could not say yes to. It could be possible, and he was very talented with the right attitude, but so are a ton of players that end up with lousy careers.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The question isn't could Pippen be a franchise player. He could have been, but being with Jordan he wasn't.

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
The question isn't could Pippen be a franchise player. He could have been, but being with Jordan he wasn't.

Yes he was.
Jordan was franchise player #1.
And Pippen was franchise player #2.

Throughout the championship runs, the orginization made sure they kept both together as 1..

It takes 2 to make a thing go right.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IBRbzf3Fws]Rob Base DJ E Z Rock It Takes Two Official Music Video 1988 iViewTube com3 - YouTube[/ame]

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
With Jordan he was the wing man who has the skills to be one but just isn't the best guy on the team. Like Chris bosh. I'll be the first to say I dislike him but he's a good example. Is a he a franchise player in Miami? No they talked about trading him even, at one point. But in Toronto he was the guy, the franchise player

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pippen wasn't acquired to be a franchise player, and never was one...he very well could have been...Pippen could have also fell flat on his face as a franchise player.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
going off what he did his career and what he did independently without jordan in his prime, yes

but its hard to say how things would have played out had he not been drafted by the bulls and played with jordan

97Bulls

Liked Posts:
I think you should have phrased the question to read could pippen have been a franchise player

He was a franchise player playing alongside the greatest franchise player ever. And there have been plenty of teams that have had 2 franchise type players. Magic/Jabaar, Shaq/kobe,

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think you should have phrased the question to read could pippen have been a franchise player

He was a franchise player playing alongside the greatest franchise player ever. And there have been plenty of teams that have had 2 franchise type players. Magic/Jabaar, Shaq/kobe,
If that was the case there would have been no debate.

Maunte Bol could have been a franchise player.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes he was.
Jordan was franchise player #1.
And Pippen was franchise player #2.

And Jud Buechler was franchise player #11.

Jordan and Pippen were the core of the team. That doesn't mean Pippen was the franchise player.

Pop Quiz: Which of these two sentences make sense?

a) I am the franchise player.
b) I am a franchise player.

Answer: (a)

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
And Jud Buechler was franchise player #11.

Jordan and Pippen were the core of the team. That doesn't mean Pippen was the franchise player.

Pop Quiz: Which of these two sentences make sense?

a) I am the franchise player.
b) I am a franchise player.

Answer: (a)

The answer to the question is that Pippen was "T H E" franchise player for 2 seasons until Jordan came back.

Glide2keva

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, he was nothing more than a role player, easily replaceable by any wing man in the league.