Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Looked shoulder-to-shoulder to me. Receiver's neck snapped to the side b/c of physics - Fuller hit him really f*cking hard, and both guys were going opposite directions.

Anything really violent gets a flag now.
It was shoulder to head. Inadvertent and happens when O players lower their head to protect themselves but it technically qualified as a foul, even though Fuller tried to not cause one. Rule no longer allows officials to infer intent.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The problem is that refs are throwing flags based on *perceiving* what *might* have happened, rather than throwing flags based on what they actually saw.

That shouldn't have been a flag, because he didn't hit him in the head. And the ref couldn't have seen him hit him in the head, because he didn't.
It's not that they are "perceiving" what "might" have happened. It's also a lot easier to throw a flag, discuss it with the other officials and pick the flag up. The only other option is to throw a ridiculously late flag. It's why referees will often hold their whistles on turnovers, because it's easier to reset everything once replay is involved.

All that said, I do agree that it should not have been a flag.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Neither player's helmet touched anything. Should not be a penalty.

The NFL should review every H2H flag. Would only take a few seconds to figure it out.
Replay clearly showed WR helmet squarely hit by Fuller's shoulder.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Bad call, even Pereira in the broadcast tripped over himself during the replay - "Its helmet to helmet ... well actually its his shoulder but still think its a good call" or something like that.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Or did the nfl just rule that he hit him too hard?

Hell no it wasn't. They even brought in their resident ref (i forget his name but he was a top ref in the game for a while) and he agreed with it but it was so clear that it was a shoulder to arm/shoulder hit when they showed the replay.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
It wasn’t a penalty to me

jj pi wasn’t a penalty to me

And the roughing the passer on foles wasn’t roughing the passer either

these refs are getting worse or the details we get watching on tv is just getting that much better

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It just got posted above!

That's a different play. The play we're, at least i'm talking about is the big hit by Fuller, that was the over the back one that i can see being right even though it was still very close and the one on ARob was worse and not called.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It just got posted above!
That wasn't the hit I was talking about and I believe that one was just a PI call and INT. Not the defenseless hit and possible fumble as discussed. The calls in that link do show an inequity but neither is a defenseless call.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
The game is not played in slow motion, why I hate replay, it should Have been Called A clean hit and maybe A fumble.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If replay shows the ref saw what he threw the flag for, How would it have changed anything by showing it. I sure love NFL replays and I'm sure many here would be 1st to complain about obviously bad calls that can be fixed not getting corrected.

With the Fuller hit, I think the rule needs adjusting more than anything else. If the defender avoids using his helmet, that should be enough.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. They really need to make these "defenseless receiver & roughing the qb" calls reviewable. I don't care if it adds time to the games, should be a coaches challenge. Too many of these bullshit calls are changing the outcomes.

EDIT: And I think 'intent' really needs to come into play on these decisions for a penalty. Obvious head hunting, going for the knees etc., yes PF. Leading with the shoulder with incidental contact with the head (because the receiver lowered HIS head, like the Fuller penalty) pick up the flag it's football.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I don't think it was a helmet to helmet hit. The defenseless receiver rules are right up there with "completing a catch" in terms of how much it is open to interpretation. They have to start getting these called right because there have been (not sure this one specifically is) textbook clean, hard hits that get flagged just because it is a "hard hit" and if the refs keep messing that up, players likely will revert to just going full helmet to helmet since it gets a flag regardless. If they can't call the clean hits right, it's actually going to negatively impact player safety and health long term as they revert back to lowering the head and flying in out of control.