Watching the combine.

Nick80

thought I would ask, outside of those players being talked about on the Oline already eg. Warmack, Cooper, Lane Johnson, couple of the Center prospects etc, anyone seen anything today that stood out on the other O-line prospects?

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not really impressed by anyone moving up, other than cooper guy looks solid for an interior lineman and he is snapping the ball to show his versatility. A couple of guys killing themselves with poor foot work. Fluker no thanks alot of soft looking guys also, not to impressed

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
thought I would ask, outside of those players being talked about on the Oline already eg. Warmack, Cooper, Lane Johnson, couple of the Center prospects etc, anyone seen anything today that stood out on the other O-line prospects?

Garrett Gilkey is the guy I have my eye on. His foot looked smooth and balanced but not that fast, so I think he'd have to move inside to OG. But the kid is absolutely nasty as can be, strong as can be, has good size, decent technique and very good tape. He's from Chadron State, so he's a small school sleeper, and is the type of kid who's going to show up better on the playing field than at the combine. He looked quick enough to convince me, though.

Here's his tape (watch him drive defenders literally off the field)
[video=youtube;9t8DyY5DSxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t8DyY5DSxg[/video]

And here's a cool story about him
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/25/us/garrett-gilkey-senior-bowl
"I sent a questionnaire out with Gilkey's name on it, along with some other names, and asked whether these players should be invited and all the scouts said yes, yes, yes to the others and no to Gilkey," said Savage, a former scout and general manager. "I knew something was up when they all said no. They were trying to sit on him. I got some tape, looked at him, and invited him."
^(Re: the senior bowl, where he played well)

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
I agree but have a feeling alot of teams would prefer to do the same thing. I think there will be alot less teams attempting to trade up due to the depth.

I disagree, kind of. There are some good DTs, DEs, and WRs that should be there right around 20, so if a team has a guy they really like, they'll make a move. The only problem is 20 is so high of pick that teams might be more willing to trade up to a later pick and take their chances, especially teams going after a QB at the end of the 1st. Teams like Buffalo and Arizona could definitely look to jump past the Chiefs and Jaguars back into the first round to get the QB they want, but they'd have no reason to trade all the way up to 20. Free Agency will hopefully clear things up as far as team needs, and I think teams will be more willing to trade up once their draft board narrows.

Nick80

Firstly that is a cool story and secondly, that is some good film on him. I could see him moving inside too looking at that film, he finishes plays well, crikey. Nice spot.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
Firstly that is a cool story and secondly, that is some good film on him. I could see him moving inside too looking at that film, he finishes plays well, crikey. Nice spot.

The fact that he's being projected as low as 6th round and no higher than the 4th is A) crazy B) indicative of how deep the OL class is this year and C) great, great news for us.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Warmack :fap:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Has anyone seen Warford snapping the ball?

GSH1919

Liked Posts:
Not to overrate workouts but some random thoughts I took away on the OL:

-Kyle Long looks the part of a 1st round pick athletically, early on I think he can be a solid guard but you can definitely see he at least looks the part athletically of a tackle. I think he made a great impression.
-Larry Warford looked slow and sluggish and will absolutely limited schematically in the NFL
-Lane Johnson is a beast, incredible feet and agility and once he gets stronger his potential is riduculous, can't see him getting past the Chargers.
-Fluker looked pretty bad during the weekend, still think he can play but I still think he's a guard and it'll take a little bit of projection to draft him early.
-Jonathan Cooper is a beast and the total package at guard, people say he could be stronger at the point of attack but I didn't see that in college, his athletically ability in space is off the chart and can hang in the pocket and hold up against a bull rush, he's not far away from Warmack and a future probowler.
-Warmack was obviously laboring but will clearly be a stud, he can pretty much do it all and is strong as an ox.

Overall really a strong OL class this year and we should absolutely look to pick one of these guys up in one of the first 2 rounds.

abs10

Liked Posts:
Garrett Gilkey is the guy I have my eye on. His foot looked smooth and balanced but not that fast, so I think he'd have to move inside to OG. But the kid is absolutely nasty as can be, strong as can be, has good size, decent technique and very good tape. He's from Chadron State, so he's a small school sleeper, and is the type of kid who's going to show up better on the playing field than at the combine. He looked quick enough to convince me, though.

Here's his tape (watch him drive defenders literally off the field)

And here's a cool story about him
"I sent a questionnaire out with Gilkey's name on it, along with some other names, and asked whether these players should be invited and all the scouts said yes, yes, yes to the others and no to Gilkey," said Savage, a former scout and general manager. "I knew something was up when they all said no. They were trying to sit on him. I got some tape, looked at him, and invited him."
^(Re: the senior bowl, where he played well)

I felt the same way about him after the Senior Bowl. I think he would be a great mid-late round pick to add some depth at guard. He was also the first to do drills during the combine, so that tells me something: He is smart, pays attention, and the combine coaches like him. The kid is a Bears' fan too, so that could only help.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really like Long's potential. I'll have to watch the drills when I get home. If he's there in 2, I'd be all over that.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Tyler Efert 4.6
Zach Ertz 4.72
Gavin Escobar 4.88

As Mayock said Eifert's measurables are standing out

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You know me I want the OL.

But I bet that the Bears and Trestman are eyeing TE more than we think and I would not be shocked if it was the number one concern right now for them.

Part of protecting the OL can be having a TE that can catch the ball it can be used as a weapon against the blitz and force teams to be more vanilla because they need guys in coverage.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would not be surprised to see our draft look something like this,

1. TE

The dimensions it adds to the offense would be something that the Trestman offense will want.

2. OG/C Kyle Long/Larry Warford/Travis Frederick

This draft has so many OLmen that starters will be there in the 2nd round and these guys can start week 1.

4. LB

A guy to develop as the long term starter at MLB.

5. OG

A big body to work with Kromer as a potential C/OG.

6. WR

A cheap, pure speed guy that can play 5-10 plays a game and return kicks.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
We will not go wit a TE in the first round. I'm thinking O-Line.......

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tyler Efert 4.6
Zach Ertz 4.72
Gavin Escobar 4.88

As Mayock said Eifert's measurables are standing out

I never understood the Ertz over Eifert stuff. Always thought Eifert was the only one worty of round 1.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would not be surprised to see our draft look something like this,

1. TE

The dimensions it adds to the offense would be something that the Trestman offense will want.

2. OG/C Kyle Long/Larry Warford/Travis Frederick

This draft has so many OLmen that starters will be there in the 2nd round and these guys can start week 1.

4. LB

A guy to develop as the long term starter at MLB.

5. OG

A big body to work with Kromer as a potential C/OG.

6. WR

A cheap, pure speed guy that can play 5-10 plays a game and return kicks.

If we can't get Johnson in one and it looks less likely every day, I go LB or Eifert unless Warmack does one of those G slides. I like Long in 2 a lot if we don't get lucky in one.

I think a likely scenario is LB in one, OL in 2 with another OL, TE and speed WR somewhere after.