Week 14 film review: Epic defensive performance

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At first look, the obvious narrative is that the Bears defense exposed Jared Goff and his severe underlying deficiencies. He is a qb that needs near perfect conditions in order to function, namely a spotless pocket. That is why the play action fake is the primary staple of McVay’s offense, along with the screen game with Gurley, to slow the pass rush and keep Goff comfortable at all times.

But on second viewing, saying the Bears defense exposed Goff is a remarkable insult to what this defense actually did on Sunday night. In the circumstances the Bears defense put Jared Goff in, any QB in the NFL would completely falter. This game was one team completely physically manhandling the other.

THE TAPE

It was an ominous start for the Rams offense, as the run was stuffed and Goff was nearly sacked on 3rd down when Mack beat pro bowl caliber OT Havenstein in in inside move. This was a quick reality check for Goff and what he was up against on that night...

_x75R1.gif

Sean McVay knew that in order for his offense to function, Goff had to be protected. The run was getting stuffed, so the play action fakes were not slowing down the rush. To start gaining some sort of traction, McVay begins to use max protection schemes. This is essentially an 8 man protection, with a TE/WR/RB in to block and only 2 targets release on routes. Yet Goff is still pressures almost immediately by Leonard Floyd. If you can’t protect your QB in max protect, doesn’t matter if Aaron Rodgers in his prime is behind center, you have absolutely no chance....

vaAI3c.gif

Again, another initial max protection off of play action with 2 receivers going out on routes. Notice how the fake hand off doesn’t slow Mack at all and the linebackers do not crash. This defense does not need to sell out to stop the run or to stop the pass. Goff should have plenty of time here and a wide pocket, yet he is still made uncomfortable and is forced off his spot...

S5WlB0.gif

Here is the outside zone that the Rams offense runs out of. It’s the same exact run that Jordan Howard thrived on during the John Fox era. The Bears were shutting this down pretty easily, another reason why the play action couldn’t slow the rush. Hicks and Goldman beat the RG and C, Callahan holds the edge...

KHYBov.gif

Floyd and Mack are both on the bench during this play, yet the pass rush doesn’t take a play off. First team all pro LT Whitworth gets bullrushed into Goff by Bullard, creating a turnover...

1f30_I.gif

Yet again, play action fools no one, 8 man max protect, and the pass rush STILL gets to Goff as Floyd splits the double team. Goff pretty much just says fook this and just throws it up for grabs...

qStvIu.gif

Here the Rams keep 7 blockers in initially, and Fangio sends only 2 rushers at Goff. And they still got a hurry and hit on Goff. At this point Goff must be trying to figure a way out of this game completely. This is truly remarkable lol...

TeZgaY.gif

7 man initial protection, and Goff is again pressured into an errant pass

cl_KW_.gif

This play was actually a really good one by Goff. But take a look at what happened. It’s another 7 man protection, and the Bears completely disintegrate the pocket almost immediately. Goff should probably have faked an injury at this point...

HOFFzB.gif

Here is the only time I can remember the Rams going with a basic 5 man protection, and Goff actually missed an open TE running deep down the seam...

fXnSIap.jpg

7B0Kfa.gif

But can you really blame him. After being heavily pressured in max protect all night, Goff got rid of this thing like it was aboot to explode...

KwXN3V.gif

Here Roquan Smith showcases why he is the answer to many of these modern offenses...

W-Vjry.gif

Because of the constant pressure, Goff starts getting frenetic in the pocket on the very few plays he actually has time...

hs9_UL.gif

He begins to drop his eyes early, missing open targets...

2FkMaNk.jpg

p2h_tA.gif

The crowd also played a vital role. Because of the noise, the Rams had to utilize a silent snap count. And since there was a constant communication problem, they always seemed to snap it at the same time on the play clock. The center would bob his head once right before he snapped the ball. Teams often change up the silent count, for example going from 1 head bob to 2 head bobs. But the Rams were constantly snapping the ball at the very end of the play clock, so going to an extra signal would cause a delay of game. RRH was able to time the snap count perfectly a few times, getting a jump on the offensive line at the line of scrimmage.

This was a designed screen, so the plan was to let RRH go unabated to the QB. But because RRH got a head start off the line, he met Goff much sooner than planned. The instant pressure cut off Goff’s throwing motion, causing him to sail the pass...

5LpWRl.gif

On the safety the left guard helped the LT double Mack, leaving Eddie Goldman one on one with a center. A center on Goldman is just a physical mismatch. And that was the story on Sunday night, pick your poison. Because every Bear defender is capable of making a splash play. Goldman gets under the centers pads and drives him up off his feet...

E7aDGK.gif

Late in the game, the Rams had to start taking some chances and deploy more receivers down the field. Here the RT, RG, and C do a brilliant job. But Mack beats a double team on the other side and ruins the play. It’s just simply too many playmakers on the field for an offense to account for...

cHRTzf.gif

Max protection again, and Goff almost gets sacked immediately after the play action fake. Truly wild. This is what utter domination looks like, folks...

L9MH2W.gif

When your back up players are flat out beating pro bowl caliber offensive tackles, you know you have a lot of talent...

VQJlv3i.jpg

1b1C5R.gif

This is a great play by McManis late in the 4th quarter. But pay attention to Khalil Mack on the backside pursuit. Dude is still going full fooking speed with the ball on the opposite side of the field...

5VzoWLE.jpg

l0wiIe.gif

THE OFFENSE

Not much to say on the offense. I don’t think people want to watch me tear apart Trubisky and his tape after such a huge win, so i’ll be brief. Long story short, Trubisky was very bad. And he was actually even worse than the stats show because he was badly missing open targets in completely clean pockets. He simply could not hit a receiver when he dropped back to pass. All of his completions were either screens, or they were 1 read RPO’s.

Trubisky’s inconsistency is truly frustrating. One week he will hit a tight window throw with pressure right in his face...

KW7oaV.gif

And the next week he will wildly miss the same throw in a much wider window in a clean pocket with no glaring mechanical flaw...

lvvKus.gif

Hopefully Trubisky can get this stuff ironed out by playoff time

Last edited:

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I knew before you even posted it that this would be my favorite edition of the year. Great job! Gonna watch all those GIFs again while giggling like a school girl.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I think the magnitude of how colossal of a beatdown this was against the #1 team in the league is... well... vastly understated.

this defense can fuck with anyone apparently. I don't hope that Trubisky is still hurt, but if that's the valid excuse for how he played, it is what it is. really just hope it was rust. this team just sucks balls after breaks.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
I love the breakdowns of these plays as always good post

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rams did not want to let Mitch beat them with his legs and it helped our inside run game. Had they known he'd suck this bad and they played us straight, I suspect we would have lost. Goff just gave up. It may just be that they're already in but if we face them again, it shouldn't take long to get inside his head.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rams did not want to let Mitch beat them with his legs and it helped our inside run game. Had they known he'd suck this bad and they played us straight, I suspect we would have lost. Goff just gave up. It may just be that they're already in but if we face them again, it shouldn't take long to get inside his head.

This is what it looks like when a QB is shitting his pants...

0VETLq.gif

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Thanks for the breakdown. Mack is just such an incredible athlete. I've seen a lot of Clay Matthews...he's good but he can be pushed behind the pocket. Suggs is great but he can be engulfed by long-armed OTs. No matter what Mack does, no matter how many guys are assigned to Mack (even if its an OT and an OG), Mack is always making progress to the QB and getting in his face.

That said, I think Goff was 'shook' because it wasn't just Mack applying the pressure. It was coming from everywhere...interior, left side, right side. It seemed like even in max protect the Rams were trying to block Leonard Floyd with a TE, which didn't really work at all (a very interesting development). TBH, this was the first time I've seen Floyd do anything as a pass-rusher, and perhaps this will make Fangio more confident in Floyd and allow him to rush the QB more often in the future.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mack 1, Donald 0

mecha

Liked Posts:
Floyd, Hicks, and Roquan Smith too tho.. I love this unit they got now.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great job as usual Adi

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Roquan Smith is already starting to read offenses like a vet. If he keeps his head on right, he's going to be a playmaking machine for years. He's a young Ray Lewis without the charges.

Floyd is coming on at the right time

Secondary is ELITE. Even 2 starters come out, McManis and Tolliver pop right in and the defense doesn't miss that much. Incredible depth.

And don't get me started on that 5 deep Dline. Fuckin nasty.

Greenbay is about to play a much improved team that they should have lost to already.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I'd like to point out that the only way Floyd gets to the QB is when he's unblocked by the OL...

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Bro sending 2 people and still gettinf a QB hit thats fucking brilliant.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I'd like to point out that the only way Floyd gets to the QB is when he's unblocked by the OL...

He beat a double team in the 6th gif down. But yea, he's good at getting around the OL, if he lets the tackle get a hold of him he's going nowhere.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Post of the year?

Thanks Adipost

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
At first look, the obvious narrative is that the Bears defense exposed Jared Goff and his severe underlying deficiencies. He is a qb that needs near perfect conditions in order to function, namely a spotless pocket. That is why the play action fake is the primary staple of McVay’s offense, along with the screen game with Gurley, to slow the pass rush and keep Goff comfortable at all times.

But on second viewing, saying the Bears defense exposed Goff is a remarkable insult to what this defense actually did on Sunday night. In the circumstances the Bears defense put Jared Goff in, any QB in the NFL would completely falter. This game was one team completely physically manhandling the other.

THE TAPE

It was an ominous start for the Rams offense, as the run was stuffed and Goff was nearly sacked on 3rd down when Mack beat pro bowl caliber OT Havenstein in in inside move. This was a quick reality check for Goff and what he was up against on that night...

_x75R1.gif

Sean McVay knew that in order for his offense to function, Goff had to be protected. The run was getting stuffed, so the play action fakes were not slowing down the rush. To start gaining some sort of traction, McVay begins to use max protection schemes. This is essentially an 8 man protection, with a TE/WR/RB in to block and only 2 targets release on routes. Yet Goff is still pressures almost immediately by Leonard Floyd. If you can’t protect your QB in max protect, doesn’t matter if Aaron Rodgers in his prime is behind center, you have absolutely no chance....

vaAI3c.gif

Again, another initial max protection off of play action with 2 receivers going out on routes. Notice how the fake hand off doesn’t slow Mack at all and the linebackers do not crash. This defense does not need to sell out to stop the run or to stop the pass. Goff should have plenty of time here and a wide pocket, yet he is still made uncomfortable and is forced off his spot...

S5WlB0.gif

Here is the outside zone that the Rams offense runs out of. It’s the same exact run that Jordan Howard thrived on during the John Fox era. The Bears were shutting this down pretty easily, another reason why the play action couldn’t slow the rush. Hicks and Goldman beat the RG and C, Callahan holds the edge...

KHYBov.gif

Floyd and Mack are both on the bench during this play, yet the pass rush doesn’t take a play off. First team all pro LT Whitworth gets bullrushed into Goff by Bullard, creating a turnover...

1f30_I.gif

Yet again, play action fools no one, 8 man max protect, and the pass rush STILL gets to Goff as Floyd splits the double team. Goff pretty much just says fook this and just throws it up for grabs...

qStvIu.gif

Here the Rams keep 7 blockers in initially, and Fangio sends only 2 rushers at Goff. And they still got a hurry and hit on Goff. At this point Goff must be trying to figure a way out of this game completely. This is truly remarkable lol...

TeZgaY.gif

7 man initial protection, and Goff is again pressured into an errant pass

cl_KW_.gif

This play was actually a really good one by Goff. But take a look at what happened. It’s another 7 man protection, and the Bears completely disintegrate the pocket almost immediately. Goff should probably have faked an injury at this point...

HOFFzB.gif

Here is the only time I can remember the Rams going with a basic 5 man protection, and Goff actually missed an open TE running deep down the seam...

fXnSIap.jpg

7B0Kfa.gif

But can you really blame him. After being heavily pressured in max protect all night, Goff got rid of this thing like it was aboot to explode...

KwXN3V.gif

Here Roquan Smith showcases why he is the answer to many of these modern offenses...

W-Vjry.gif

Because of the constant pressure, Goff starts getting frenetic in the pocket on the very few plays he actually has time...

hs9_UL.gif

He begins to drop his eyes early, missing open targets...

2FkMaNk.jpg

p2h_tA.gif

The crowd also played a vital role. Because of the noise, the Rams had to utilize a silent snap count. And since there was a constant communication problem, they always seemed to snap it at the same time on the play clock. The center would bob his head once right before he snapped the ball. Teams often change up the silent count, for example going from 1 head bob to 2 head bobs. But the Rams were constantly snapping the ball at the very end of the play clock, so going to an extra signal would cause a delay of game. RRH was able to time the snap count perfectly a few times, getting a jump on the offensive line at the line of scrimmage.

This was a designed screen, so the plan was to let RRH go unabated to the QB. But because RRH got a head start off the line, he met Goff much sooner than planned. The instant pressure cut off Goff’s throwing motion, causing him to sail the pass...

5LpWRl.gif

On the safety the left guard helped the LT double Mack, leaving Eddie Goldman one on one with a center. A center on Goldman is just a physical mismatch. And that was the story on Sunday night, pick your poison. Because every Bear defender is capable of making a splash play. Goldman gets under the centers pads and drives him up off his feet...

E7aDGK.gif

Late in the game, the Rams had to start taking some chances and deploy more receivers down the field. Here the RT, RG, and C do a brilliant job. But Mack beats a double team on the other side and ruins the play. It’s just simply too many playmakers on the field for an offense to account for...

cHRTzf.gif

Max protection again, and Goff almost gets sacked immediately after the play action fake. Truly wild. This is what utter domination looks like, folks...

L9MH2W.gif

When your back up players are flat out beating pro bowl caliber offensive tackles, you know you have a lot of talent...

VQJlv3i.jpg

1b1C5R.gif

This is a great play by McManis late in the 4th quarter. But pay attention to Khalil Mack on the backside pursuit. Dude is still going full fooking speed with the ball on the opposite side of the field...

5VzoWLE.jpg

l0wiIe.gif

THE OFFENSE

Not much to say on the offense. I don’t think people want to watch me tear apart Trubisky and his tape after such a huge win, so i’ll be brief. Long story short, Trubisky was very bad. And he was actually even worse than the stats show because he was badly missing open targets in completely clean pockets. He simply could not hit a receiver when he dropped back to pass. All of his completions were either screens, or they were 1 read RPO’s.

Trubisky’s inconsistency is truly frustrating. One week he will hit a tight window throw with pressure right in his face...

KW7oaV.gif

And the next week he will wildly miss the same throw in a much wider window in a clean pocket with no glaring mechanical flaw...

lvvKus.gif

Hopefully Trubisky can get this stuff ironed out by playoff time

You do realize burton ran 5 yards less on his route on the pick vs reception and look where the ball was thrown 30 yards from his position on both throws so you tell me who was right or wrong.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I like the Trubisky comparison, it is practically the identical route but in the interception he simply threw it too far and too high.

I hope he can get on a roll and back into a rhythm in the next three games (hope he lights up the Packers), and we go into the playoffs playing our best ball on both sides.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
You do realize burton ran 5 yards less on his route on the pick vs reception and look where the ball was thrown 30 yards from his position on both throws so you tell me who was right or wrong.

There was more velocity and a flatter throw on the interception, so it could not drop into the window, and that is on Trubisky.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Just give Mitch a half Percocet before the game. He gets a bit amped up and throws a bit hot... mellow him out a tad and he will be fantastic.