Week 3 - Offense Litmus Test

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Week 1 - Just a terrible game. Mitch was bad, playcalling was terrible, o line was shit, and every time we had any momentum going it was killed by a dumb ass penalty. All around, a shit show. It sucked bad, but it was week 1 against a good opponent, and I'm mostly willing to write a lot of it off as rust.

Week 2 - I keep hearing stuff like "have defensive coordinators figure out Matt Nagy"? If anyone has, Vic would certainly be at the top of that list for obvious reasons. On top of that, the Broncos defense is very good. We committed to the run, it was ugly, but it was the right call. Mitch had some bad throws, didn't see the field well, but ultimately came through when it mattered most. We were lucky to come away with a win, but fuck it, I'll take it.

Week 3 - I personally don't think these two games serve as a good barometer on what we can expect for the rest of the season offensively. But the Redskins game should. This is the first subpar defense we've played and they have several games under their belt to get shit figured out. If they come out flat and ineffective, I'm going to start to get concerned. I don't think they will though. This will be one of those games that causes bipolar fans to swing in the other direction after the offense finally looks like it's clicking for the first time this season.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
before the season I wanted to give him 3 games before making any judgments on him this year, but I have this terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that I dont think is going to go away even with a good game.. I have lost faith in Mitch... and that sucks

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Week 1 - Just a terrible game. Mitch was bad, playcalling was terrible, o line was shit, and every time we had any momentum going it was killed by a dumb ass penalty. All around, a shit show. It sucked bad, but it was week 1 against a good opponent, and I'm mostly willing to write a lot of it off as rust.

Week 2 - I keep hearing stuff like "have defensive coordinators figure out Matt Nagy"? If anyone has, Vic would certainly be at the top of that list for obvious reasons. On top of that, the Broncos defense is very good. We committed to the run, it was ugly, but it was the right call. Mitch had some bad throws, didn't see the field well, but ultimately came through when it mattered most. We were lucky to come away with a win, but fuck it, I'll take it.

Week 3 - I personally don't think these two games serve as a good barometer on what we can expect for the rest of the season offensively. But the Redskins game should. This is the first subpar defense we've played and they have several games under their belt to get shit figured out. If they come out flat and ineffective, I'm going to start to get concerned. I don't think they will though. This will be one of those games that causes bipolar fans to swing in the other direction after the offense finally looks like it's clicking for the first time this season.

Good points. Bears had better put up an NFL offense vs Washington.

Regardless of how good the last two teams were, Trubisky did not take advantage of his situations.

If he can't get going vs Washington, we may be in for a long season offensively.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The sucker bet of the week will be the under 42 1/2 in this game. Everyone will assume Redskins can't put up 2 TDs on the Bears, and no way Bears offense will score 28. I am looking for the Bears to put up 40 this week, and least 1 defensive TD, maybe 2. A good blend of running and passing, as opposed to the last 2 games. And for once a good one on National Television to shut everyone up.

Bears 41
Redskins 13

#calledit

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I was going to make a similar post about the Redskins maybe being the thing the Bears need? To be fair to the offense.... they have started out with two tough defenses. To be equally fair.... they need to start playing better against those good defenses or they won't go anywhere far this season. The Skins however are a dumpster fire. So hopefully the Bears can take advantage of that and get some condifidence.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
@Johnathan_Wood1
More

Through 2 games, WAS is allowing opposing QBs to complete 78.3% of passes (31st) for 8.4 yards/attempt (24th), with 6 TDs (29th) and a passer rating of 124.8 (27th).

#NoExcuses

Should be an exciting game! Dumpster fire offense meets dumpster fire defense! Who will play shittier? Come find out this week on Monday Night Football!!!

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I'm not so sure. I just don't see the offense exploding anytime soon.

YET AGAIN, we heard that Nagy scaled back the offense for the Broncos game to simplify it.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not buying it because this ineptitude goes back to midseason last year after we beat up on some shitty AFC East teams, but still somehow managed to lose to the Dolphins.

I know a lot of posters stated they were not going to make a lot of excuses for Mitch, but here we go...

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:

The Redskins interior dline is better than the Broncos interior dline. They don’t have the edge rushers that Denver has, but they do have a solid interior. Also Norman will be the best CB the Bears have faced this year. The Redskins defense is not subpar. Mitch will need to step his game up & make plays in the passing game.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Not buying it because this ineptitude goes back to midseason last year after we beat up on some shitty AFC East teams, but still somehow managed to lose to the Dolphins.

I know a lot of posters stated they were not going to make a lot of excuses for Mitch, but here we go...

Mitch didn't blow the Miami game. The defense & Nagy did.

I don't believe there are any excuses left for Mitch at this point

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
The Redskins interior dline is better than the Broncos interior dline. They don’t have the edge rushers that Denver has, but they do have a solid interior. Also Norman will be the best CB the Bears have faced this year. The Redskins defense is not subpar. Mitch will need to step his game up & make plays in the passing game.
Derek Wolfe is a monster and Chris Harris Jr is a stud CB. Not sure I agree with you.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Chrid Harris is better than Josh Norman. Norman isn't the All-Pro he once was

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Mitch has something like 5 touchdowns and 6 interceptions the last 7 games.

It's time to step up right now. Hope Nagy is scheming up another 7-TD game.....

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bears could really, really use a Trubisky game like the TB game last year. I feel like the offense is playing so uptight right now because of all the pressure on them.

MadeinChicago

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. LSU Tigers
Ugly start to the season for sure, if The Bears can't right the ship against the Skins, it'll be a long season.

That and I'd be especially pissed given I will be at the game and would hate to endure Skins fans after a win...

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Bears could really, really use a Trubisky game like the TB game last year. I feel like the offense is playing so uptight right now because of all the pressure on them.
No, the Bears could really use consistently (good) QB and offensive play.

An aberration game from our inconsistent QB isn't going to fix anything.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Week 4 is my litmus test. Good on both sides division opponent and Nagy will use everything the O has to offer. Losing our 1st two division games would also hurt a lot.

I'm still more concerned with the OL than anything else. This group is supposed to be good and if I told you that Massie would be our best player this year you'd have worried. I am a little worried and hope it's more about getting coordinated but it's been shite. I said last year that the tackles were not playing as well as their stats because the interior line was so bad that their guys just got into the backfield 1st. The interior is not good but better this year and it's clearly showing up Leno.