Week 3 - Offense Litmus Test

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The Redskins interior dline is better than the Broncos interior dline. They don’t have the edge rushers that Denver has, but they do have a solid interior. Also Norman will be the best CB the Bears have faced this year. The Redskins defense is not subpar. Mitch will need to step his game up & make plays in the passing game.

Even if they have Allen, that DLine is good, not great. Their entire LB group is meh, and their secondary is not as good as the Broncos, at all. This is a game where where our offense should be able to throw the ball pretty well. We'll see.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
The sucker bet of the week will be the under 42 1/2 in this game. Everyone will assume Redskins can't put up 2 TDs on the Bears, and no way Bears offense will score 28. I am looking for the Bears to put up 40 this week, and least 1 defensive TD, maybe 2. A good blend of running and passing, as opposed to the last 2 games. And for once a good one on National Television to shut everyone up.

Bears 41
Redskins 13

#calledit

That would be so awesome. I would love this whole thing to be a case of "offense needs preseason reps for the OL to gel, receivers to get open, and Mitch to see the whole field and throw with accuracy"

MUCH more than "Nagy has been figured out and our offensive players are in reality not very good at football".

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No, the Bears could really use consistently (good) QB and offensive play.

An aberration game from our inconsistent QB isn't going to fix anything.
I completely agree. A big offensive game will hopefully help them get into a rhythm and play with some swag/gain some confidence. They currently look lifeless on offense.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Norman is primarily a zone corner, just ask Michael Thomas.

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
I said something about Chris Harris Jr. He's a Broncos CB... And he's arguably better than Norman right now.

Ok, I think Norman is a better cover CB but we’ll see how well the Bears do against him.

Username

Liked Posts:
To beat the Bears, the Redskins have to 1. Score early, to make Nagy abandon the run.
2. Make Mitch play quarterback, so their D can get some pick 6's or put their O in good field position.
If they can't do both those things, then the Bears have a chance. If they can, game over.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fit the Bears right about now for Week 3...

(even the "relax take it easy" intro on screen is apt)

Nagy's been "foolin' himself" more than the opposing defenses. Don't always have to trick them. Need straight up execution by the OL and O as a whole.

CCS is def. the "angry young man" in the song BTW. You could say the Bears' D players are also. And should be.
The O needs to "get up and get back on their feet" for damn sure.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Week 1 - Just a terrible game. Mitch was bad, playcalling was terrible, o line was shit, and every time we had any momentum going it was killed by a dumb ass penalty. All around, a shit show. It sucked bad, but it was week 1 against a good opponent, and I'm mostly willing to write a lot of it off as rust.

Week 2 - I keep hearing stuff like "have defensive coordinators figure out Matt Nagy"? If anyone has, Vic would certainly be at the top of that list for obvious reasons. On top of that, the Broncos defense is very good. We committed to the run, it was ugly, but it was the right call. Mitch had some bad throws, didn't see the field well, but ultimately came through when it mattered most. We were lucky to come away with a win, but fuck it, I'll take it.

Week 3 - I personally don't think these two games serve as a good barometer on what we can expect for the rest of the season offensively. But the Redskins game should. This is the first subpar defense we've played and they have several games under their belt to get shit figured out. If they come out flat and ineffective, I'm going to start to get concerned. I don't think they will though. This will be one of those games that causes bipolar fans to swing in the other direction after the offense finally looks like it's clicking for the first time this season.

Unfortunately they practiced well for the Eagles in off-season. Concepts will be fresh to them.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Week 1 - Just a terrible game. Mitch was bad, playcalling was terrible, o line was shit, and every time we had any momentum going it was killed by a dumb ass penalty. All around, a shit show. It sucked bad, but it was week 1 against a good opponent, and I'm mostly willing to write a lot of it off as rust.

Week 2 - I keep hearing stuff like "have defensive coordinators figure out Matt Nagy"? If anyone has, Vic would certainly be at the top of that list for obvious reasons. On top of that, the Broncos defense is very good. We committed to the run, it was ugly, but it was the right call. Mitch had some bad throws, didn't see the field well, but ultimately came through when it mattered most. We were lucky to come away with a win, but fuck it, I'll take it.

Week 3 - I personally don't think these two games serve as a good barometer on what we can expect for the rest of the season offensively. But the Redskins game should. This is the first subpar defense we've played and they have several games under their belt to get shit figured out. If they come out flat and ineffective, I'm going to start to get concerned. I don't think they will though. This will be one of those games that causes bipolar fans to swing in the other direction after the offense finally looks like it's clicking for the first time this season.

WTF are you talking about!? At this point I am just hoping we get to see Mitchell throw a touchdown pass this season.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Right now I wouldnt count on 41 from the Bears vs a big 12 defense

0 identity
Shaky qb play
Below avg oline play
Poor te play
One wr making catches
Multiple one dimensional gadget players in on almost every snap (Cohen, Patterson, Gabriel)
0 home run threat from either Rb
Poor play calling and personnel groupings

We've got it all.

Thus far we look like the 2005 Bears under Orton.....field position, checkdowns, punts and fgs, rely on defense

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Hear me out.

You have to throw down field over 15 yards once every 7 offensive plays. And yes I mean this. We always talk about spraying the field hitting everywhere. Reputations put expectations on players all the time and they also put major limitations on players as well. But do they really mean anything for playcallers. Yes, and this can be devastating to everyone from the offense to the QB to the Coach.

When you get a reputation for not being able to do something it means you aren't expecting to try to do it as much. And so your reputation limits your playcaller. So your playcaller limits your QB. then the defense realizes you are limiting the playcaller. Then the Defense calls plays based on on the limited amount of calls and you get what you are seeing from Mitch.

The defense is expecting everything that is coming their way. It's not Nagy, it's not Mitch, its the belief that Mitch has limits as a thrower. Its in Mitch's head, the OC's head the HC head, and now the defenses aren't respecting the deep part of the field.

How do you fix this? Throwing the ball deep. consistently. He isn't getting touchdowns because teams don't expect deep balls unless they are in obvious situations making them even more predictable and more defendable. So go down field a few more times. First play of the game? Throw it 50 yards to Gabriel. Throw it 20 to Robinson on a backshoulder down the sideline 7 plays later. But stretch the field, because it opens the entire field up for playcalls.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The offense looked bad because they didn't spread the ball around.
Keep the deep throws for Miller or Gabe, and use Javon Drop-Free Wims for the goal line plays.
6 rushes at the goal line for the Offense's only TD this season was brutal...

Trump32

Liked Posts:
Overcome Jon Bostic and Tress Way?Revenge game.

EL ROCKSTEADY

CBMB Refugee
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Iffy on the idea. Last year much of offense success did come from creativity. This year we are not seeing that same success. Havnt gone play by play, but it seems that when the bears try and play straight forward with a run game (that isnt successful thus far) and Trubisky in the pocket not accurate and hesitant. I do think the litmus test, from my memory. 3 plays this year that changes my mind. The int in the first game, and two passes in the broncos game for really big gains one over thrown the other under thrown. 3 plays likely to end up in points that drive. You could argue that those points alone are not enough to win a game against a really good offense. We have an awesome defense and it will go to waste if the offense doesnt exist.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the bears are going to fuck the redskins up, but its not going to have any long term impacts or growth for the O, just like the tampa game last year.