WGN getting 20 games this year and screwing the out of town viewers

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think it should be the "local out of town viewer".  Unfortunately the ultimate issue is that the demarcation area between WGN-chicago and WGN-America does not coincide with the blackout area that the NHL has, which IMHO for WGN broadcasts, it should.</p>

</p>

About the only 2 options I can think of is find a proxy server outside of the blackout area (a shoddy proposition at best), or, I believe Hockeystreams does have a per-game purchace policy nowadays.  I liked Hockeystreams for the first year and a half because it kicked the snot out of NHL live (now Gamecenter Live), but after that Gamecenter Live took off and became a viable product, and one of the admins at Hockeystreams (a red wing fan, no less), became an incredible douchebucket whenever the teams mid-year would go down.</p>

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="LordKOTL" data-cid="208445" data-time="1378152241">
<div>

I think it should be the "local out of town viewer".  Unfortunately the ultimate issue is that the demarcation area between WGN-chicago and WGN-America does not coincide with the blackout area that the NHL has, which IMHO for WGN broadcasts, it should.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

Exactly</p>

</p>

I have already had a couple conversations on this with those in the know. One of the responses was quite telling and point blank.</p>

</p>

"Do you really think that Chicago cares about Rockford?" That is actually the same reaction you get from those in charge of the Rockford IceHogs and the BMO. While Rocky does seem to have a general concern those that he has relinquished powers to are some of the most arrogant people you will ever meet.</p>

</p>

Back to the article. I know that nothing will be done to correct this on our scale but if we can raise a big enough stink so that it starts to make the Blackhawk look bad then maybe we have a chance. It is remote but certainly worth the effort from my perspective. I would love to see somebody start getting a petition signed by those attending Rockford IceHogs events and then see the media in Chicago pick up on it.</p>

</p>

My frustration of continuing to shell out bucks in Chicago grows every season. I am nearing the end of my rope. Our ST's in the Lexus Club level were $12,800 five years ago. This seasons? $22,000. Add to that ST's in Rockford and knowing that I will miss 20 games is total BS.</p>

bierboy

Liked Posts:
I guess I didn't realize that there's a "collar area" that won't get the games on WGN...we just happen to be in the twilight zone...</p>

BigPete

Liked Posts:
WTF!!!!

I better get a goddamn discount on my Center Ice! Fuck!!!!!!

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
NHL Gamecenter Live was great last season.   For the few games that had no coverage and the pre-season games I resorted to hockeystreams and had no issues.</p>

</p>

My only complaints with Gamecenter live is the delay, it runs @ 4-5 minutes behind the live game.   I like doing the live chat during games, but the delay makes it not as much fun.</p>

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="winos5" data-cid="208497" data-time="1378217873">
<div>

I like doing the live chat during games, but the delay makes it not as much fun.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Life is sad sometimes. :-(  </p>

</p>

...;-)</p>

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I watch hockeystreams because I'm more apt to watch the away game feed.</p>

The WGN issue won't affect me, but it's BS to the people who get screwed. </p>

Forklift

Liked Posts:
I think McDonough just did this so he could put advertising on Dan Roan's head.</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly, I think the policies just need to change:</p>

</p>

If a blackout for a "mass media channel/feed" (GCL/CI) is in force because a local channel is carrying the game, then the blackout should only be restricted to the area in which the local channel is broadcast.  Thus, if a game is on WGN Chicago, and your local station is WGN america per what your cable company or other pay-TV provider is sending you, then the game should not be blocked out on GCL/CI.</p>

</p>

Unfortunately the cretins in charge of the broadcasting rules just won't get it that if you follow that blackout change I proposed, it opens up more targets for advertising revenue.</p>

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Mikita's Helmet" data-cid="208513" data-time="1378223273">
<div>

Life is sad sometimes. :icon-sad:  </p>

</p>

... :icon-wink:</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Not really, I have you to keep the faith</p>

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doing some research, can anyone help me to understand this? Heard of this?</p>

</p>
<div>NHL Gamecenter Live blackouts using unblock-us
<div><span>Kenthusiasm </span><span>Jan 16, 2013 04:30PM EST </span></div>

So according to the Internet, the DNS redirect address of

208.122.23.22 is based out of New York;
https://ipdb.at/ip/208.122.23.22

If we go by what NHL.com says, if we use the unblock-us.com DNS of

208.122.23.22, then we could never watch games for the Rangers,

Islanders or Devils?
http://www.nhl.com/ice/ziplookup.htm?q=10006

Is this what everyone has experienced or am I incorrect? I imagine that there are quite a few New York area fans using unblock-us that would not be too happy about not being able to watch the Rangers on Gamecenter Live using unblock-us?

I am from Alberta and I want to watch Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers games mostly. Would using unblock-us let me do this for Gamecenter Live, or is the NHL smart enough to know that I am using a redirect and black out my Alberta team based games?

Any input would be helpful as I would like to get Gamecenter Live for only $50 this year. Thanks.
</p>

</p>

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/questions/748371-nhl-gamecenter-live-blackouts-using-unblock-us</p>

</p>

</p>

Here is another article and solution </p>
</div>

</p>

How To Get Around NHL GameCenter Live Blackouts http://www.howtogetitincanada.com/how-to-get-around-nhl-gamecenter-live-blackouts/</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes IHF, both of those basically act as proxy servers.  For a site like GCL, it basically pipes thor signal through one of those proxy servers so it appears to GCL like it's from New York or wherver it redirects you to.</p>

</p>

There are 2 bad things about that:</p>

</p>

1) whever your IP says it's from may have blackout restrictions for that area:  so yes, if you redirect through unblock.us you'll appear to GCL as if you were in New York, so Rangers, Isles, and Devils' games may be blocked.  you'd have to be shrewed about what server Unblock-us uses and if possible, set it to a location that has no NHL markets--like Seattle, Portland, Or Atlanta.</p>

</p>

2) If a proxy site is well known GCL could just block all of the proxy's IP addresses, meaning you don't get anything.  there's always that risk.</p>

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="LordKOTL" data-cid="208555" data-time="1378241318">
<div>

Honestly, I think the policies just need to change:</p>

</p>

If a blackout for a "mass media channel/feed" (GCL/CI) is in force because a local channel is carrying the game, then the blackout should only be restricted to the area in which the local channel is broadcast.  Thus, if a game is on WGN Chicago, and your local station is WGN america per what your cable company or other pay-TV provider is sending you, then the game should not be blocked out on GCL/CI.</p>

</p>

Unfortunately the cretins in charge of the broadcasting rules just won't get it that if you follow that blackout change I proposed, it opens up more targets for advertising revenue.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Yes, the policies needs to change.  The whole reason for the blackouts are so people do not, not buy cable if they can get their games online.  So it is a simple fix just like NBCSports does.  You can get NBCSports live stream as long as you are a Cable/Satellite subscriber.  If I'm willing to buy cable or satellite, then lift the blackout for the subscribers.</p>

bierboy

Liked Posts:
yeah, I would watch WGN Chicago stream online if that's what it would take. I'm already paying to get WGN on my cable package...</p>

JOVE23

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Bierboy" data-cid="208695" data-time="1378337987">
<div>

yeah, I would watch WGN Chicago stream online if that's what it would take. I'm already paying to get WGN on my cable package...</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Oof, watch the other team's stream in that case. I'm not a Pat and Eddie basher but the production quality of WGN broadcasts is somewhere below a 12 year old making a YouTube video.</p>