What are you reading?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
So far this year I am trying to read a little more for entertainment. Something that I have not done much in recent years.

I read Fool by Christopher Moore
and am currently reading A Confederacy Of Dunces by Toole.

I am going for at least two books a month this year.

Granada

Liked Posts:
So far this year I am trying to read a little more for entertainment. Something that I have not done much in recent years.

Confederacy of Dunces is great, one of my faves. Look into the back story for Toole and how/when that book got published - extremely sad, yet poetic in a way. Confederacy was supposed to be a movie multiple times over the years. At one point, Chris Farley was slated to play Ignatius, but it fell through; some other big name actors too, but I can't remember the rest now.

On a separate note, Letters to Wendy's by Wenderorth is also a phenomenal, hysterical read.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm listening to Stephen Fry's 3 book series on Greek myths.
Pretty funny.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Found a compilation edition of Nabokov in the trunk of my car the other day that I've never gotten around to. Seems like a reasonable idea.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Trying the same, though I was generally finishing about a book a month. Two books can get fairly difficult to fit in. Currently reading the Divine Comedy. I don't really like it. I hate the vernacular. It's the same reason I can never get into Shakespeare.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Question, what would those of you who read consider the "Classics?"

Granada

Liked Posts:
George Orwell is my favorite author, so due to my bias, I consider anything he wrote "classic." In my defense though, I think a lot of people do. So, Animal Farm and 1984, for sure. Those are all-time classics for me, personally. Paradise Lost by Milton is also a personal classic, but many can't get through it, because it's written as one long poem essentially. But that is by far an utter masterpiece.

Other classics that are fairly agreed upon: Catcher in the Rye, On the Road, Of Mice and Men, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Brave New World, To Kill a Mockingbird.

I don't know if I'd consider these "classics," but The Things They Carried (O'Brien) and Dispatches (Herr) are fantastic as well. If they're not on my classics list, they just missed the cut.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I have been telling myself for two years I want to read two books per nonth, at one time deciding they would consist of one fiction and one nonfiction, and at another time deciding one classic and one recent novel.

I just need to actually make a commitment to do more reading. I love it when I get going, but I am terrible about going hot and cold.

Last year I had checked into the "100 books everyone should read" type lists and started with some of those. Slaughterhouse Five, Catch 22, In Cold Blood. I picked up a couple Raymond Chandler novels and like them, but I haven't stuck with reading like I want.

I even bought a Kindle and started using that. I am making my resolution now to read 20 books in 2022, beginning with one I started and haven't gotten back to: The Big Sleep.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I just committed to join in one of those facebook chain letter things where I send one book to someone and apparently will get approximately 36.

What have I done?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just finished Sons of Yokai - Mists of Iga. Set during my favorite historical time period ie Sengoki Jidai.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mornings On Horseback, biography of Theodore Roosevelt.
Also have a lot of books in queue, and want to read more this year.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

HOLY SHIT!!!
If this place was nearby and not in NJ many of us would either be dead, maimed, or at least have had more concussions than we already do.
Rawr!

This is as if Ayn Rand and Lord of the Flies got together to make a theme park.

Last edited:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I have been telling myself for two years I want to read two books per nonth, at one time deciding they would consist of one fiction and one nonfiction, and at another time deciding one classic and one recent novel.

I just need to actually make a commitment to do more reading. I love it when I get going, but I am terrible about going hot and cold.

Last year I had checked into the "100 books everyone should read" type lists and started with some of those. Slaughterhouse Five, Catch 22, In Cold Blood. I picked up a couple Raymond Chandler novels and like them, but I haven't stuck with reading like I want.

I even bought a Kindle and started using that. I am making my resolution now to read 20 books in 2022, beginning with one I started and haven't gotten back to: The Big Sleep.
Two books per month can be tough. I'm like you, I can fly through a book pretty decently when I'm interested in it, but some drag on. I aim for two, but try to read at least one. I've been so busy with work and class that it's insanely hard to keep up with pretty much anything else. So much I want to do and I feel like I never have enough time. Or I get paralyzed trying to figure out what to do and end up doing nothing lol

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I like how the what are you eating, drinking, watching and playing thread are all way more popular than this thread. Imagine a Bears fan reading outside of CCS.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Just finished Steven Wilson's autobiography.

It was a lot better than I thought it would be.

Most fun fact:
David Gilmour went backstage after Steven Wilson show in London and told him that the performance of the song "Routine" made him cry.
Gilmour fuckin' rules and Routine is one motherfucker of a song.
Rawr!

Here it is!

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Copag cards. Wish me luck, fellas.

Attachments

• 20220711_150321.jpg
    20220711_150321.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 2

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I recently buzzed quickly through two crime novels by Don Winslow - City on Fire (new) and The Winter of Frankie Machine. I liked them and they went quickly while I was visiting my mom three days a week while she recuperated. Had lots of free time late at night or early mornings.

Since taking a break from that I have gotten out of the swing again. I recently had another on loan and didn't get to it.

I need a swift kick in the pants to get going again.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I just finished The Godfather. I last read it 20 years ago. Now I'm reading Omerta. It's also by Mario Puzo. Not a classic like The Godfather but I'm enjoying it.