What Bears 4-3 can look like....suggestions?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
DE = Quinn & Blackson
DT = Tonga & Nichols
WL B = Roquan
MLB= Trevis Gipson
SLB = Mack
CB = Graham & JJ
S = Jackson & Bush

With current roster....obviously need some upgrades, but not many....not crazy about the Safeties, Blackson a back-up, Nichols hasn't improved since rookie season, but a back -up....I'm very intrigued about Gipson...he showed flashes of being very good...ditto Tonga....i'd like to c coaching get these two to the next level.
Are you going to bench Khalil and start his brother at SLB?

or

Are you going to move Khalil to SLB when he was a pro-bowler at DE in a 4-3?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The Mack brothers (DE & SLB) creating havoc ever day and 50 times on Sundays.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
It is a bit of a projection but he moves and tackles well in space per his scouting report. Also looked ok in coverage this year.

Bears run nickel or dime 75% of the time so we are talking 25% of the time they will be in base in mainly 2 WR sets and 15-20% of that will be run plays. So you are talking 5-10% of the time he would have to be in coverage and most likely zone not man. He was in coverage about 5% of his snaps this year.
No, he will not play SAM. They will have someone else to play SAM. Not just about coverage, this player has never read a run key off the ball.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:

makes sense that eberflus would try to poach guys he is most familiar with. the 3 in the article are:

xavier rhodes (cb)
al-quadin muhammad (de)
taylor stallworth (dt)

thoughts on these guys?

dennehy

Liked Posts:

makes sense that eberflus would try to poach guys he is most familiar with. the 3 in the article are:

xavier rhodes (cb)
al-quadin muhammad (de)
taylor stallworth (dt)

thoughts on these guys?
Rhodes is older and not very good.

Muhammed would probably be the #4 EDGE on the Bears, unnecessary.

Stallworth could see as rotational player depending on other free agent allocations.

I would add Zaire Franklin to that list, as SAM and core ST player.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I like how CCS tries to make the defense go back in time 16 years cause they hear the term 4-3…. It would be like wanting Lovies SB defense to look exactly like one in 1990.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I like how CCS tries to make the defense go back in time 16 years cause they hear the term 4-3…. It would be like wanting Lovies SB defense to look exactly like one in 1990.
Or what a lot of fans have posted. Bears will be in a 4-2-5 over 70% of the time.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Blackson and Edwards can rotate at 3T. Unless Hicks is cheap not worth it IMO.
Question.......how would you get your best three pass rush ends on the field at the same time, when the Bears are in a 4-2-5?

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Der Flus primarily runs a 4-2-5.

A traditional 4-3 in today's game is asking to get shredded to pieces by simple quick slants, drag routes, or any situation even the most clueless OC can put a shifty slot WR on a slow fucking Sam/Will--unless you have 3 hyper-athletic LBs that are as fast/quick as safeties, are 100% that the offense is going for a run play, or have at least 2 DE/DT that are consistently disruptive/unblockable by 1 OL. The 4-2-5 balances that with a nickel and active safety help for the run game.

Why people don't take 2 seconds of effort to understand the difference--or just chalk it up to 4-3 because they're lazy--IDK. It is CCS after all.

Also, LOL at posters who think a 3-4 edge rusher can just transition to Sam so that position is set. Probably thought Tillman should have moved to safety because safeties are slow old CBs...

What the fuck are you bitching about? Posters are just talking about what the base defense would look like. We all know we'd be in nickel over 70% of the time. Nobody expects us to be in base D against three wise sets.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No, he will not play SAM. They will have someone else to play SAM. Not just about coverage, this player has never read a run key off the ball.

• Reactive agility helps him track and tackle in space

3-4 LBs play off the ball at times and again his scouting report noted he has good agility to track and tackle in space. In any event, there is no point arguing as it was just a possibility thrown out there. If it happens it happens. If not then so be it. We will find out soon enough but not a biggie either way for a D that we will only play 25% of the time.

Question.......how would you get your best three pass rush ends on the field at the same time, when the Bears are in a 4-2-5?

I already mentioned it. Mack can kick inside from time to time on obvious passing downs and play 3T. Probably do a lot more stunting on his side since Quinn is a pure speed rusher that just likes to get upfield but Mack likes to stunt a lot.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
  • Reactive agility helps him track and tackle in space

3-4 LBs play off the ball at times and again his scouting report noted he has good agility to track and tackle in space. In any event, there is no point arguing as it was just a possibility thrown out there. If it happens it happens. If not then so be it. We will find out soon enough but not a biggie either way for a D that we will only play 25% of the time.

I already mentioned it. Mack can kick inside from time to time on obvious passing downs and play 3T. Probably do a lot more stunting on his side since Quinn is a pure speed rusher that just likes to get upfield but Mack likes to stunt a lot.
The differences are between what he has done and what is required to do are far greater than you are suggesting. Dude has probably never scraped a block, stacked and shedded. He was in the dirt the vast majority of his college snaps. You notice how, in what you linked, every single comment, positive and negative, is about playing DL, and that his comp is Roy Robertson-Harris? Definite SAM prospect.

And yes it does matter if a guy who has no clue how to play SAM plays SAM for 1 of every 4 plays for an NFL team.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Who wants to give Adams 25-30 mil a year and give Fields that weapon. Bears, do Bears things after hiring a defensive HC and spend money on defense. Poles FA cycle this year. 23 will be a non FA cycle when the draft picks are back in play @Raskolnikov ..

DE: Mack, Quinn, Gipson
NT: Blackson, Tonga
3T: Hicks (Resigned), Edwards Jr
SLB: Christian Jones (Resigned), Ogletree (Resigned)
MLB: Christian Kirksey (FA)
WLB: Roquan
CB: JJ, Donte Jackson (FA)
NB: Darious Williams (FA)
S: EJax
S: Tyrann Mathieu (FA)

Last edited:

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
If I comprehended the Thread correctly it was asking "to build a D with the CURRENT roster. " How difficult is that to understand? Well.....it appears, sadly to say, very difficult for some. And if your not sure what current means, I'll be happy to help. Hint: it has nothing to do with movement in large bodies of water...........I'm not a tech guru, because when I went to school we learned Reading Comprehension. How outdated, huh? Now, I posted my opinion on a D based on the CURRENT roster and it seems only a few others also understood. If u want to disagree... fine.....if u want to criticize with no solution.... in the real world that's called an asshole. I KNOW who Trevis Gipson is and don't need be told ....if u COMPREHENDED my WHOLE text, I stated that I saw talent and want him on the field! COPRENDE AMIGO? My 11 on D was based on who was best at a position to help the team, now try to COMPREHEND this part, from the CURRENT ROSTER! I know, I know, this is really deep thinking stuff.... sort of on the same par with Astrophysics ............for some of u Just remember....a smart person can play dumb when needed but a dumb person can never play smart.....One last thing........ rhetorically speaking...when I read some of these posts " Why do I think of the movie 'Idiocracy'?"

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
If I comprehended the Thread correctly it was asking "to build a D with the CURRENT roster. " How difficult is that to understand? Well.....it appears, sadly to say, very difficult for some. And if your not sure what current means, I'll be happy to help. Hint: it has nothing to do with movement in large bodies of water...........I'm not a tech guru, because when I went to school we learned Reading Comprehension. How outdated, huh? Now, I posted my opinion on a D based on the CURRENT roster and it seems only a few others also understood. If u want to disagree... fine.....if u want to criticize with no solution.... in the real world that's called an asshole. I KNOW who Trevis Gipson is and don't need be told ....if u COMPREHENDED my WHOLE text, I stated that I saw talent and want him on the field! COPRENDE AMIGO? My 11 on D was based on who was best at a position to help the team, now try to COMPREHEND this part, from the CURRENT ROSTER! I know, I know, this is really deep thinking stuff.... sort of on the same par with Astrophysics ............for some of u Just remember....a smart person can play dumb when needed but a dumb person can never play smart.....One last thing........ rhetorically speaking...when I read some of these posts " Why do I think of the movie 'Idiocracy'?"

Did they not teach you about sentence structure or paragraphs in school?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Nice meltdown because people didn't follow directions on a message board.

Also the current roster has like 26 players who were on the active roster list year. There's only like 12 defenders total to choose from.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
The same way Buddy Ryan did with the "46"....take a DE (Hampton) and move him to DT and bring in a third DE (Hartenstine)

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

Anyways you moved a bunch of guys to positions they don't play and included players not under contract.

Current roster:

DE; Mack, Quinn
DT: Edwards, Goldman/Tonga
LB: Smith, Ogletree, Jones
CB: Johnson, Graham
S: Jackson, Bush

They obviously need to add to that. Middle Linebacker is a priority. A SLB would be nice but given Eberflus has run nickel heavy that's not a priority. Still Ogletree is terrible and Jones isn't much better so ideally neither is on the team next year.

In Nickel, I would expect them to move Mack inside for some packages, or even Gipson to 3 technique in sure passing situations. A 3 technique is vital to this defense(why Colts traded for Buckner) and the Bears don't have one right now on the roster. Edwards is probably the closest, but having an impact player there is very important.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Did they not teach you about sentence structure or paragraphs in school?
yes....but y is it needed? if the ideas r communicated, y would that be important? And who would ask a question like that anyway?