What Bears draft pick have you followed the longest? Who do you root for the most?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've only been in Chicago since 1990, moved here from St. Louis, but I've been a fan since I got here. Partly I lost interest in St. Louis because I grew up with the football Cardinals, and they moved to Arizona, then we got the Rams, so it's been a mess since then, doesn't feel like our team, really, for me anyway.

I never followed football as closely as I have the last six years or so, when I got into fantasy football. So, I don't remember watching a ton of college football, the combine, the draft, etc. I'd say I started to watch all of that more closely when I started my dynasty teams, since each year we'd only draft rookies. You had to start paying attention to the rookies, but since none of my leagues were IDP dynasties, I only looked at the offense. This past year I quit all of my fantasy leagues, and have just been paying attention to the Bears. I know more about this team now than I ever have, both sides of the ball, and have really been watching a lot more college football, the combine, and I'm more excited about this draft than ever before.

So, all of that being said, what Bears player have you followed the longest? What guy did you see play in college, watch at the combine, root for the Bears to draft, and then BAM, they drafted him! And he was GOOD!

I'm sure there must be guys here who were around when we drafted Urlacher in 2000, Tillman and Briggs in 2003, but I don't remember those drafts. I barely remember being excited about drafting Forte in 2008.

So, FOR ME, it has to be Alshon Jeffery. I watched him play some in college, was very impressed with him. Did he not attend the combine? For some reason I think he didn't show up for that, but had a private pro day or something? But, either way, I remember that draft and I wanted them to take him so bad, even in the first, I was rooting for Alshon and when they took Shea, I was like, WHO? When they took him in the second round, I was thrilled. (Didn't they trade back up to get him?)

It's been a real thrill to watch Alshon develop. People said he had issues, off the field, that he was a risk. So to see him straighten out and get serious with Marshall, to emerge like he has, it's been very exciting. I've always been a big Forte fan, but Alshon is the guy I feel most invested in at this point.

Which leads to last year's draft. I also did a WHO? when they drafted Long, but I've come to really believe in him, see how good he really is. So, I root for him, most definitely. I like Bostic and Greene a lot, too, I think they can really develop, emerge, maybe this year. I even like Mills, Washington, and Wilson. I think Mills was a surprise, and Wilson a sneaky pick. I think it was a really strong draft overall.

This year has the potential to be the best Bears draft in a LONG TIME.

TLDR: SO, who is your guy? What Bears draft pick are you rooting for the most?

PS: There are a lot of great guys we got in trades, such as Marshall, who I love to root for, but I'm focusing on guys that we drafted, and are still on the team.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Favorite player on team is Kyle Long. But one I have enjoyed seeing play the longest is Robbie Gould.

ThaGator

Liked Posts:
Alshon and Bostic, because I'm a Florida fan. Obviously I watched Bostic pretty much every game throughout his college career; as for Alshon, I remember his sophomore season absolutely abusing Janoris Jenkins. Been a fan ever since. I still can't believe he fell as far as he did.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;kSgLNeuV_tM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSgLNeuV_tM[/video]

My all time favorite Bear is Tillman. WAY before the peanut punch, he had some epic battles with Randy Moss and cemented his legacy for me. Too bad we aren't talking about former Bears, Mike Brown 01 and Hester 06-07... that's about as far back as I watched every game, but man those were good times. Too bad I wasn't around for 85.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too many too list.

Even though JA blew so many picks, there were still a lot of players that were a blast to watch. Ima sucker and I get attached to all these guys...

Urlacher, Peanut, Dez, Berrian, Rex, Alex Brown, Mike Brown, Azumah, Briggs, Forte, Izzy, Mills, Long, Jeffery...

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Briggs has always been my favorite player.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Patrick Mannelly :beartroll:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Forte and Peanut; my favorite O and D players. Both second rounders, they were probably Angelo's best picks, along with Briggs.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
On the current roster, probably Peanut.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
from the top of their careers to the bottom..peanut and lance..that was probably the start of me really digging into football..drafts, free agency, etc.

i root for them all of course...you always want draft picks to pan out

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rex. When he was drafted I was thrilled. Next was injury and then 2006. He was never boring and never tossed anybody under the bus. 2006 was a great ride that I will not forget. Current player is Long.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A couple of favorite picks. Urlacher, Mike Brown, Lance, Peanut, Hester

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Rex. When he was drafted I was thrilled. Next was injury and then 2006. He was never boring and never tossed anybody under the bus. 2006 was a great ride that I will not forget. Current player is Long.

If Rex isn't my favorite all-time Bears QB when I'm old, then I'm pretty excited because it means there's going to be a QB I LOVE somewhere down the line.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
I thought Cade Mcnown was going to be the next Steve young lol what a moron. I also thought Alonzo Spellman was going to be the next Richard Dent.

Reading articles like this didn't help lol

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-04-27/sports/9202070537_1_bears-hope-alonzo-spellman-lake-forest

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Tillman, Briggs and Forte are the ones that stand out. The new breed of Bears looks like Long and Alshon.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Rex, Hester, Forte.

Guys I liked who didn't pan out/are no longer on the team:
Mark Bradley
Bernard Berran
Mark Anderson

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1)Mike Brown, I followed Nebraska back then and and was really excited to see him come to the Bears.
2)Urlacher I remember seeing him in mock drafts to Bears back when I was in college reading the Sporting News at a computer lab (youngsters won't remember when a laptop was a luxury item).
3) Henry Melton. I saw him as a giant HB at Texas and saw him convert to DL. I have been a big fan since.

Last edited: