What if Mitch stay in school 1st pick in 18

jsully33

Liked Posts:
What if Mitch stayed in school and he was one of top picks next yr then pace would be getting killed for not taking him this yr . I personally wanted Adams lol

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Kiper said something similar.

Allen has a 56% competition percentage and a ton of picks in the Mountain West.

Rosen is an off field mess with injuries.

Darnold apparently has very average physical tools.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Kiper said something similar.

Allen has a 56% competition percentage and a ton of picks in the Mountain West.

Rosen is an off field mess with injuries.

Darnold apparently has very average physical tools.

Rosen hasn't played that well when healthy. His hype train started after his 1st start. Darnold has a funky delivery that has yet to be picked apart. Falk is another Air Raid QB.
Jackson is a CFL QB and Allen can't hit the broadside of a barn. Rudolph is interesting but I'd take Trubisky over him any day of the week.

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
After watching some tape on the QBs for next year, I'd have to say the only one I'd take over Trubisky is Darnold. He's the real deal, but if he puts up a repeat performance then you'll need the #1 pick to get him. Rosen looks to be about the same level as Trubisky prospect-wise, but the injuries and off the field stuff would scare me.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
And it starts... Darnold will be picked apart all year long. Early talk of inexperienced receivers...

Interception tally grows for USC quarterback Sam Darnold
USC Trojans quarterback Sam Darnold #14 scrambles away from Colorado Buffaloes linebacker N.J. Falo #42 and Colorado Buffaloes linebacker Addison Gillam #44 in the 4th quarter of a game played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum October 8, 2016. (Photo by John McCoy/SCNG, file)
USC Trojans quarterback Sam Darnold #14 scrambles away from Colorado Buffaloes linebacker N.J. Falo #42 and Colorado Buffaloes linebacker Addison Gillam #44 in the 4th quarter of a game played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum October 8, 2016. (Photo by John McCoy/SCNG, file)
By Joey Kaufman, jkaufman@scng.com,, @joeyrkaufman on Twitter
POSTED: 03/25/17, 7:56 PM PDT | UPDATED: ON 03/25/2017 0 COMMENTS
LOS ANGELES>> On the opening series of USC’s 70-play scrimmage Saturday, Sam Darnold lofted a pass about five yards downfield.

It ran into some traffic, falling out of a receiver’s grasp before it was tipped by a defensive back.

Uchenna Nwosu, a junior linebacker, scooped it up. Uncertain about the sequence, the visiting referees did not make a call. Nwosu pleaded his case, contending that he had intercepted the pass.

“We didn’t have replay,” USC coach Clay Helton said, “so I trusted Uchenna.”

Defensive players celebrated. The Trojans’ offense did not.

For Darnold, it marked his third interception of the past week, and the sixth he has thrown over six spring practices this month, a blip for a quarterback unaccustomed to being picked off.

Last season, only nine of Darnold’s 366 passes were intercepted, less than 2.5 percent of his attempts, and it remained especially rare that he was intercepted in practice. He threw only a couple in training camp last August, for example.

Asked earlier in the week if it raised an eyebrow, Helton said it did not.

“Just educate him,” Helton said, “and pat the defense.”

On Tuesday, Darnold was twice picked off.

“That’s good defense,” safety Chris Hawkins said. “He’s still Sam. He’s still the best quarterback in the country in my opinion.

Helton noted the recent interceptions coincided with some growing pains for the offense, which is replacing its top receivers from last season, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Darreus Rogers, and three starters along the offensive line. Not to mention center Nico Falah has missed most of the spring workouts because a back injury.

So, chemistry, Helton said, is still forming between Darnold and those surrounding him.

“There’s got to be some built-up trust between him and the wide receivers,” Helton said. “They’ve got to become accustomed together.”

Smith-Schuster and Rogers were prominently featured in the Trojans’ passing game last season, accounting for 41 percent of the total receptions and 45 percent of the receiving yards.

Helton said he expected Darnold to continue to establish a rapport with the younger receivers over the remaining three weeks of spring practice and through the summer workouts and August training camp.

As Helton assessed Darnold’s performance Saturday, he pointed out that he was, in fact, encouraged by the redshirt sophomore passer’s approach.

With inexperienced receivers, Darnold has not hesitated to spread the ball around instead of relying on a couple of the more familiar targets.

“I love his composure,” Helton said, “because one of the things that he’s doing so much better than he did during the latter half of the season is he’s defeating the defense rather than glueing in on one guy. If you even saw today, what I was really impressed with him, is how many different targets he threw to today. Not every one hit, but it was neat to see him locate the 1-on-1 situation and get there.”

BEHIND DARNOLD

Jack Sears, a San Clemente High product, enrolled early to participate in spring practice and is vying with redshirt freshman Matt Fink for the No. 2 spot on the depth chart behind Darnold at quarterback.

Asked about Sears’ development, Helton said he thought he was more decisive this week after some “confusion” during his first week.

“Confusion creates hesitation at the quarterback position, and hesitation will get you beat or hurt in this game,” Helton said. “So I felt the ball came out a little bit better. I think there’s still a lot progress. He’s nowhere near a finished product.”

QUICK HITS

Safety Jamel Cook intercepted his fifth pass of spring practice Saturday when he picked off Fink. … At least 50 former players attended Saturday’s scrimmage, including quarterback Matt Barkley, who spoke with Darnold afterward. “How valuable is that? To have an older brother who can mentor you,” Helton said. “It’s special to have those guys back.” … Running back Dominic Davis, who has been in the concussion protocol, was at practice for the first time this spring Saturday.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20170325/interception-tally-grows-for-usc-quarterback-sam-darnold

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If trubisky had a near repeat of 2016 in 2017 he would be a top pick with Darnold...easy

The draftniks would be talking about a banner year for QBs

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I don't trust QBs from USC and Darnold doesn't impress..From the tape I saw I liked the QB from Wyoming but never realized he had 15 int..Also I think Jake Browning from Washington is pretty good.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky would be under a microscope and crucified for any mistake he'd make. Look at what happened to Watson/Kizer/Kaaya after last season.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Remember when Barkley decided to stay in school 1 more year but if he came out early he was slated to be a top 5 pick. It kinda works both ways.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jake Browning has a noodle arm.

Put him against top level defences and he can't spin it well enough.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tough to gauge Darnold. Except for Stanford, teams on West Coast don't play defense. The under/over on most of those games is 60+

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Darnold would be the No 1 pick and Trubiksy No 2. Darnold has prototypical size and is almost 2 years younger. Unless he had a terrible season, he'd be the top pick IMO. Too much upside and too young for him not to be.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Only knock on Trubisky was lack of experience, so next year there would be no knocks and No.1 pick.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Depends on his progression

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
My only grip vs. Trub was lack of experience which is one of the reasons I wanted us to take Adams and didn't think he was worth a top ten pick.
I was definitely one of those suggesting we either took a QB later or waited till next year in a stronger class. But after I came down from my disappointment of not taking Adams, I thought rationally about Trub, in that he had another year of eligibility and if he had went back to school and continued to progress... he would have likely been the #1 pick next year... or at least top three.

I'm cool with him now... although I do think Kizer will ultimately be the better QB... but time will tell.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
It was a gamble on his part, that paid off, he could have lit it up and showed progress on his blitz and coverage recognition or he could have played steady or regressed some and have the world rip him apart for not taking that next step in his 2nd full season. And I believe 2 or 3 of his top receivers left for the draft as well.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Darnold had 3 all conference offensive linemen. Wonder how he'll perform with lesser protection?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Darnold would be the No 1 pick and Trubiksy No 2. Darnold has prototypical size and is almost 2 years younger. Unless he had a terrible season, he'd be the top pick IMO. Too much upside and too young for him not to be.

No guarantee of that... He could regress or even suffer an injury.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Also, we are all discounting someone coming out of nowhere to capture the imagination of the scouts much like Trubisky did in 2016.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No guarantee of that... He could regress or even suffer an injury.

USC lost a lot of talent this year. Even on the O Line. He'll fall apart like most USC QB's.