What if we drafted Aaron Donald

Poppasmurf

Liked Posts:
What if we would have lucked out and had the player I would say the vast majority of the board wanted in Aarond Donald fall to us. Where do you think or do you think he would fit in a 3-4? Would he play end?

Now is Danny Shelton a similar prospect? Obviously they are different players asked to do completely different things philosophically, but do they make the same kind of impact? Traditionally Nose Tackles aren't asked to be difference makers, but it appears like Shelton could be one of these transcendent players. Do you think a nose tackle could be a game changer?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Maybe we should see the guy practice a month before throwing around superlatives like 'transcendent player.'

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
The problem is you need a guaranteed 3 down player when your picking in the top 10.

Its hard to project if Shelton will be a 2 or 3 down player at the next level. Logic would say 2 down but its possible he can buck the trend.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Donald would play the Justin Smith role. DE in 34 Base package. 3-tech in 43 under sub-package.

Danny Shelton is no where near the prospect Donald was IMO. Donald has rare physical traits and Shelton is big with above average for position physical traits.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Emery wanted Donald, and was noticeably pissed when the Rams selected him right before us. Either way, I like Fuller.

Poppasmurf

Liked Posts:
Maybe we should see the guy practice a month before throwing around superlatives like 'transcendent player.'

Fair, but I only use the term because Nose Tackles rarely make a big impact. That's Shelton's selling point. He's a productive and active big (Huge) guy

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I guarantee you that Donald would have had half the success in Tucker's system that he had with the Rams.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was so damn close for us to get him. That was really disappointing watching the Rams draft him.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What if Cutler was the greatest QB in Bear's history? Wait...

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
The scouting on Sheltob is that he is indeed a 3 down player. For his size he doesn't get worn out. Donald is just a different kind of player.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Emery wanted Donald, and was noticeably pissed when the Rams selected him right before us. Either way, I like Fuller.

Agreed. I remember getting slammed for saying that from the usual crowd on here.

It was quite obvious phil was pissed

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem is you need a guaranteed 3 down player when your picking in the top 10.

Its hard to project if Shelton will be a 2 or 3 down player at the next level. Logic would say 2 down but its possible he can buck the trend.

2 down cause he would come out on pass rush downs?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I like Donald and wanted him desperately on the Bears, but I don't think it is fair to Kyle Fuller for all of us to keep dreaming about Donald. I know the OP wasn't trying to bring up any comparisons, but it is hard not too when you bring up Donald. I'd rather people talk about Calvin Pryor, Haha Clinton Dix or another player the Bears actually had a chance to draft but overpassed.

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
I like Donald and wanted him desperately on the Bears, but I don't think it is fair to Kyle Fuller for all of us to keep dreaming about Donald. I know the OP wasn't trying to bring up any comparisons, but it is hard not too when you bring up Donald. I'd rather people talk about Calvin Pryor, Haha Clinton Dix or another player the Bears actually had a chance to draft but overpassed.

aka the "what could have been" as opposed to "what if?". Agreed.