What pick can we get for trading up?

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
What pick can we get for giving our two 1st round picks and trading up?

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We would definitely be able to get a lottery pick. Getting into the top 10 would be unlikely.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We would definitely be able to get a lottery pick. Getting into the top 10 would be unlikely.

Unless they can get into the top 5 or 6 they would get no benefit to trade up.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah there really isnt much benefit to trading up..No team is going to give up a Top 10 pick in this draft unless they're getting star power in return. Historically, pick #11-15 are usually awful picks.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Unless they can get into the top 5 or 6 they would get no benefit to trade up.

True enough. The reason to move up is to get someone good enough to be an instant contributor. With Rose returning and the expectation of amnestying Boozer and somehow signing some scoring FA, there aren't minutes for a draft pick who isn't elite. The other half of moving up is most teams are looking for a marquee player from the lottery, I doubt you can identify one that wants to trade out of that pick down to 16-19 and get 2 solid players that might take time to develop. Developing talent doesn't sell tickets.

So I can't see being able to trade up. What I would do is make calls to see if any team without a 1st round pick wants to trade into the first round. Some team that has their eye on a specific player in the 16-19 range. Get a future1st round pick and maybe a rotation player on an expiring contract. With the players under contract there won't be minutes for those 2 draft picks and a second rounder comes cheaper and can sit at the end of the bench so shift one of them down the road. There's always a chance some team drops into the lottery for you.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
True enough. The reason to move up is to get someone good enough to be an instant contributor. With Rose returning and the expectation of amnestying Boozer and somehow signing some scoring FA, there aren't minutes for a draft pick who isn't elite. The other half of moving up is most teams are looking for a marquee player from the lottery, I doubt you can identify one that wants to trade out of that pick down to 16-19 and get 2 solid players that might take time to develop. Developing talent doesn't sell tickets.

So I can't see being able to trade up. What I would do is make calls to see if any team without a 1st round pick wants to trade into the first round. Some team that has their eye on a specific player in the 16-19 range. Get a future1st round pick and maybe a rotation player on an expiring contract. With the players under contract there won't be minutes for those 2 draft picks and a second rounder comes cheaper and can sit at the end of the bench so shift one of them down the road. There's always a chance some team drops into the lottery for you.

Normally I'd agree with you about the draft picks obtained but not this year. I think that Mirotic this year would be a top five pick and that the guys in the 10-20 range would have been high lottery picks in most draft preceding this one. I think that there will be enough minutes for the new guys to have Thibs mix and match them with the starters. One thing for sure, we need help off of the bench as the series with the Wiz has shown.

Another thing. I think that Gibson has proved without a shadow of doubt how good he is now. Good to see a guy who played all four years in college and from such a tough neighborhood to grow up in that a strong work ethnic can over-come things for the better. It'd be hard for me to re-call any player who has advanced so much in over-all ability since his rookie year. Noah, sure, but he was drafted high.