What Position(s) You Want Shea McClellin Evaluted/Tried Next Offseason/Camp?

• Stay Defensive End

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Outside Linebacker

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Inside Linebacker/MLB

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Evaluated for OLB & ILB

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • No New Evaluation; Trade March 11

Votes: 8 15.1%

• Total voters

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

• "Evaluated/Tried" meaning, what do you want him to train and practice for offseason, OTA and Camp -- and assuming that goes well, where to be tried in the preseason.
  • THIS CAN INCLUDE DE.
  • Whether 3-4, 4-3 or hybrid, doesn't really matter, we still want to put our 1st Rounder in his best position, or trade him.
  • Trading period begins March 11 and ends October 29.

newbanner.jpg

Shea McClellin Scouting Report By Charlie Campbell

Shea McClellin, 6-3/260

Outside Linebacker

Boise State

SMcClellin.jpg

Strengths:
Extremely instinctive
Very versatile
Propensity to make splash plays
Excellent pass rusher off the edge
Uses hands and feet well
Great hip/shoulder flexibility to turn the corner
Nice repertoire of moves
Operates well lining up off the line of scrimmage
Fluid athlete to drop into coverage
Has some ball-skills
Intelligent; can learn multiple positions
Plays well in space
Durable
Experienced; ready to play immediately in the NFL
Good pursuit skills
Shedding blocks
Excellent technique
Consistently productive
Relentless motor

Weaknesses:
Weight fluctuates
Bit of a tweener in a 4-3 defense
Could add some more strength

Summary: McClellin has been one of the draft prospects who has seen a late surge in their stock as teams get in the final days of setting their draft board. In the past few weeks, McClellin's stock has been on fire to the point where he is getting discussed in the middle of the first round. The reason for McClellin's surge has been versatility. He can fit a 3-4 defense as an outside or inside linebacker who will contribute as a run defender while being a dangerous pass rusher.

McClellin recorded 50 tackles, seven sacks, 12.5 tackles for a loss, two interceptions, one forced fumble and a blocked kick in 2011. Aside from playing as a traditional defensive end, he lined up for the Broncos as both a stand-up rush linebacker and an inside linebacker. He could have had a bigger sack total if Boise State had let him rush the passer on every opportunity, but he dropped into pass coverage regularly. In his first game of the season, he vastly outplayed Georgia tackle/guard Cordy Glenn all night. McClellin's speed off the edge was too much for Glenn to handle.

McClellin projects as an ideal 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL. He has the athletic ability to drop into coverage and play space. He is a fabulous edge rusher who will give offenses fits with how to slow him down coming around the corner. He also has the ability to play some inside linebacker to stuff runs and rush up the middle. McClellin's instincts are phenomenal, and they allow him to create splash plays. He could turn into a special perimeter linebacker who will impact game plans.

Player Comparison: Clay Matthews. It is hard to say that McClellin will turn into as good a pro as Matthews, but he has a similar style of play to the Packer star. Their games mirror each other with how versatile they are. Both are dangerous edge rushers who defend the run well. Both can drop into coverage and have the instincts that allow them to make splash plays. They are close to the same size, as Matthews (6-3, 255) is just a few pounds lighter than McClellin's Combine weight of 260 pounds. McClellin should go in the later half of the first round like Matthews in 2009.

NFL Matches: Dallas, New York Jets, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England

The Cowboys could surprise people by taking McClellin as they need an edge rusher to go opposite DeMarcus Ware in the long-term. The Jets are scouting hard outside linebackers, and McClellin would be a perfect scheme fit.

The Titans are looking to address the defensive line and they are rumored to have taken a liking to McClellin. He would be moved around from outside linebacker to defensive end in their 4-3 defense. Pittsburgh, meanwhile, needs some youth at linebacker, and McClellin could play inside and outside linebacker in the Steelers defense.

If all those teams pass on McClellin, it seems unlikely that Green Bay would do the same thing. They are reportedly hot after McClellin and sent a huge contingent to his Pro Day.

There is talk that a team plans on trading in front of Green Bay to take McClellin. The Patriots draft one spot ahead of Green Bay, so they won't have to do that. McClellin could be a good player to plug and play in New England. His versatility would be a throwback to Tedy Bruschi or Mike Vrabel for the Patriots. They badly need to upgrade their pass rush, and McClellin would do that.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:

• "Tried" meaning, what do you want him to train and practice for offseason, OTA and Camp -- and assuming that goes well, where to be tried in the preseason.
  • THIS CAN INCLUDE DE.
  • Whether 3-4, 4-3 or hybrid, doesn't really matter, we still want to put our 1st Rounder in his best position, or trade him.
  • Trading period begins March 11 and ends October 29.

Charlie Campbell needs to work on his evaluations. Strengths include shedding blocks? WTF? Shea is handled easily by 250 pound TE's. He is a 3rd down pass rusher, nothing more. He will be cut.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I've said several times Id want to see him play the "elephant" role style. Similar to how Willie McGinnest got used. Which doesn't have to only be from a 3-4.

How Rod used him some games last year fits such as vs Dallas. Moving around, with ability to cause overload pressure, cover TEs, watch check down options abs qb spy mixed with normal pass rush down plays.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

Old Dirty Curtis

Old Slob
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bench... doesn't warm up that much room but makes up for it with his motor.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Shea is the next Bears MLB.

I would like to see him moved to LB vs. staying at DE where he is clearly not good.

But if we pass on drafting a MLB because of Shea, and he plays poorly there also, we are in trouble again for another year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That draft profile got me optimistic again until I read he's a fabulous edge rusher. Then I discounted the whole thing.

In reality, however, if he truly can play LB (and well) and we "save" him, that would be a sweet surprise. But that clearly is very much up in the air.

I want CJ Mosely vs. passing on a LB in favor of Shea. But given that we have a lot of holes to fill on D, we need other things anyway, so if they give it a try, it wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

Liked Posts:
Water boy, with his speed and signature spin move our defense will be hydrated and ready to go between snaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LB! That's what he was to begin with. Don't know way they inserted him in at DE in the first place.

Ralpf

Liked Posts:
In my mind (and obviously I'm not alone) he is done at DE, only the option is the try him at LB or trade him, and I don't know that they would get anything worthwhile in trade.

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've said several times Id want to see him play the "elephant" role style. Similar to how Willie McGinnest got used. Which doesn't have to only be from a 3-4.

How Rod used him some games last year fits such as vs Dallas. Moving around, with ability to cause overload pressure, cover TEs, watch check down options abs qb spy mixed with normal pass rush down plays.

Agree w you but we don't have a DC that could think all that up on his own.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:

Yeah, I really liked that.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk Pro

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
If we do go to a hybrid defense, I like the idea of moving him around as a DE, SLB, or MLB in a 4-3 set and at any of the linebacker positions in a 3-4.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I went for evaluated OLB and ILB..We dont really know what he would be best suited for..Try a few spots

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish