What realistic pick will shore up the LT spot?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Not a fan of Carman, but I'd also add James Hudson (Cincy), D'Ante Smith (ECarolina), Walker Little (Stanford) and Brady Christensen (BYU) as guys who may be there at 83. If the Bears want bookend tackles, they can definitely get them this year.

A number of pro scouts are higher on Carman than the draftniks. I like him because he’s nasty, played LT for a high profile team and at worst is a beast at RT in the pros. I’ve heard a number of guys sing his praises on NFL Network radio too. Pat Kirwan just loves him.

Walker Little is intriguing because he was a top LT prospect when he was injured in 2019 and he opted out in 2020. He moved well at his pro day. He could end up being a huge steal.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Why don’t you think Slater could hold the LT spot down?
Doesn't have great length or really strong anchor imo. But he might be able to do it. I'd also like him more in a role where would be uncovered more often in the run game, let him get out in space where he is exceptional.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would settle for either one handling RT duties to start.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Doesn't have great length or really strong anchor imo. But he might be able to do it. I'd also like him more in a role where would be uncovered more often in the run game, let him get out in space where he is exceptional.
I’ve seen scouting reports that go both ways regarding his length. The ones that argue it doesn’t matter with him are persuasive. They breakdown film and explain why. He looks great on tape protecting the blind side. If he’s there at 20 Pace better run to the podium IMO.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I believe it is:
Rashard Slater from Northwestern
or
Christian Darrisaw from Virginia Tech

With either of those two drafted, I think we are set at the left tackle spots.

What are your thoughts?
I think they're both projected to go well before #20. Certainly Darrisaw is supposed to. But you never know.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I’ve seen scouting reports that go both ways regarding his length. The ones that argue it doesn’t matter with him are persuasive. They breakdown film and explain why. He looks great on tape protecting the blind side. If he’s there at 20 Pace better run to the podium IMO.
I think he's a much more talented version of Cody Whitehair, essentially.

He's not going to be an LOS mover, whatever position yo put him in I think he should be in zone heavy scheme.

I'd be happy if they picked him at 20 too. Excellent player.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2nd Rd. Or possibly move back up into the 2nd Rd. from 3rd by dealing several of those late rounders?? Knowing Pace, he'll toss next year's 2nd or something to move up.

No need for OT in 1st Rd. unless a total RT stud drops since OT is deep in this draft. Starter can be had in 2nd from all I'm seeing.

LT or bust though. Ifedi is serviceable at RT for now. Leno has proven to be the weakest link. Goodbye.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe it is:
Rashard Slater from Northwestern
or
Christian Darrisaw from Virginia Tech

With either of those two drafted, I think we are set at the left tackle spots.

What are your thoughts?

I think we would have to move up to grab Slater, Darrisaw is a distinct possibility

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I think he's a much more talented version of Cody Whitehair, essentially.

I think people forget that while Whitehair was a LT in college, he never played at the pro level ultimately because when the bears drafted him in 2016, the OLine situation was that Leno was actually competent at LT, Slauson was cut, and Grasu/Sitton couldn't stay on the field so he began bouncing around C then LG because that's where he was needed.

One of the least sexy things to fans during draft season is simply time and need. The bears didn't need Whitehair to be a left tackle when they drafted him and he moved inside and it worked out. He's not the 1st guy its happened to and wont be the last.

Don't know how Whitehair's situation when drafted disqualified/disqualifies him or Slater (or countless prospects) from being a good LT, especially when neither has played a snap there at the pro level. Just because one team doesn't like Slater at LT in their scheme doesn't mean he can't play the position. But like any prospect, you have to put the kid in the best position to succeed. Agree zone heavy scheme is probably his best bet.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I know I said a couple posts ago that the Bears won't pick OT at 20, but I actually wonder if the Bears might cut Leno if they get a good tackle on the board. Sewell will be gone. But there's an outside shot Darrisaw or Slater could be there, I guess. I actually really like Sam Cosmi and Teven Jenkins, for different reasons. Cosmi is the super athlete with great traits, and projects as a LT. Jenkins is just the nastiest SOB in this draft. He's a true tone-setter on the line who can destroy his opponent at any given time, but only played RT in college (I think).

The Bears still have to find a way to sign their draft picks, so if they get a tackle early, Leno would be a prime candidate to cut and give the Bears enough space for all their picks. They also have some fluidity with Daniels' potential to play C, and Ifedi to play RG (he was not given 4.5Mil to be on the bench).

There's also a TON of OTs I like in the 2nd-3rd round range. I love this OL class. It's actually become underrated with all the QB and WR talk.
The problem with cutting Leno is that you have no depth and you would be relying on a rookie to be the starter and stay healthy the whole season, and while that is a reasonable expectation, the whole reason we have not been able to replace Leno is due to the lack of depth...

I'm not saying that cutting Leno is a bad idea, just saying that the roster might be stronger if he is available as the swing tackle, albeit an expensive one.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The problem with cutting Leno is that you have no depth and you would be relying on a rookie to be the starter and stay healthy the whole season, and while that is a reasonable expectation, the whole reason we have not been able to replace Leno is due to the lack of depth...

I'm not saying that cutting Leno is a bad idea, just saying that the roster might be stronger if he is available as the swing tackle, albeit an expensive one.

Well one of two things is going to happen. The Bears are either going to draft a tackle early (1st or 2nd round) or they aren't. Regardless if they draft a tackle early or not, they have to have salary cap room to sign all the draft picks. The only real cut candidates are Leno and Graham. If they don't draft a tackle early, then obviously you keep Leno and cut Graham to make room. If they do draft a tackle they really like, Leno would be a prime cut candidate as you dont really want your highly drafted OT on the bench all year, and Ifedi re-signed for 4.5M to be a swing tackle. And they do have Elijah Wilkinson who they signed who can be the swing OT.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
If we are at 20 and LT or RT is what they planned on picking, id trade down a few picks and grab Jenkins. I absolutely love his aggressiveness and nasty. We need that on our oline. Start him at RT and you have starter for next 10 yrs. If he transitions to LT its a plus.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutting Hicks right now makes more sense then cutting Leno.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Hometown college prospects have 2 possibilities, locals see a hidden gem or locals are biased because it's hometown. I always lean towards locals being biased.
Because whoever we get for Oline at any position we know the Bears will stick us with them for a long time no matter how bad they turn out I'd also lean towards no on that one just based on the location.

Doing a quick look up, I could see the Bears loving the versatility. And then keep moving him around so even if he was great he would never meet that potential on this team.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Sewell and Slater will be long gone before we pick. Darrisaw would be an excellent pick, but it wouldn’t shock me if someone like WFT picks him up first. Vera-Tucker is probably a better fit at guard. I’m not really a fan of Mayfield in the 1st as I think he’s better suited inside. So, if we were gonna take one at 20, my pick would have to be Jenkins. He would fit perfectly at RT and could definitely play LT as well. If we wanna take one on Day 2, I think Stone Forsythe would be an excellent pickup. Most people don’t know who he is, but he’s been getting a lot of love on Twitter lately.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I want Christian, tho I do believe that Liam eichenberg will be a Bear.