What should we do at 7 & Why?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will settle for any position at 7 as long as by the end of the year they are in the picture for RotY.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought I read somewhere that Pace has a strict BPA philosophy. Since we are more or less in rebuilding mode I have no problem skipping an area of need to take a bona fide playmaker. The only proviso is if he picks an offensive player at seven I am not going to be happy.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Collins or a 3-4 pass rusher I think is most likely with Fox and Fangio in Pace's ear.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
The Bears will stay at #7 and go with one of these players, imo. Ray, Gregory, Beasley, or Fowler. All you have to do is look at Fox's past drafts. When he came to Carolina, he took Peppers. When he came to Denver, he took Von Miller. This shouldn't be overlooked.

The main question is what scheme will they focus on? I think Beasley is a player that can look good in the 4-3 or 3-4, so he's my early favorite. I see the Bears playing a little of both, so the more versatile the better. However, either way I'd expect an edge rusher at #7.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
If you are filling a position of need with a rookie hoping they can come in and solidify the position then your plan is faulty by design.

If you agree with the above statement then let's look at the following:

OL - gaps exist and there's no depth. Would be a good pick.
DL - With convering to a 3-4, Allan being 30+ and Houston's recovery being a question mark sending a pick this direction makes sense.
OLB - No real 3- OLB on the roster, so it makes sense.
ILB - You have some starters, but not difference makers.
CB - Tillman, if he comes back, is on the wrong side of 30. Grabbing someone to pair up with Fuller for the next 7+ years makes sense.
S - Don't get me started
QB - If Mariota falls could he be the franchise talent that sits for a bit, but becomes long term stability at the most important position in the game?
WR - If Marshall really has one foot out the door would it make sense to draft a young replacement?

Anyway, by my logic the Bears should do up their player rankings then draft the highest ranked player available when their name is called.

Holy hell a draft philosophy that is logical, he'll hasth frozen over.

strockrocks

Liked Posts:
I thought I read somewhere that Pace has a strict BPA philosophy. Since we are more or less in rebuilding mode I have no problem skipping an area of need to take a bona fide playmaker. The only proviso is if he picks an offensive player at seven I am not going to be happy.

Maybe I misread this but it sounds contradicting to me. You sound OK with the BPA approach since we are in rebuilding mode anyway, but would be mad if say, they pick a top OL or someone like Amari Cooper. If you are going BPA, then you are going all out BPA. I think if Cooper is still on the board at #7, and the Bears pass on him, they will regret it. Same as an OL, if they feel there is someone that can be a dominant fixture on the line.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe I misread this but it sounds contradicting to me. You sound OK with the BPA approach since we are in rebuilding mode anyway, but would be mad if say, they pick a top OL or someone like Amari Cooper. If you are going BPA, then you are going all out BPA. I think if Cooper is still on the board at #7, and the Bears pass on him, they will regret it. Same as an OL, if they feel there is someone that can be a dominant fixture on the line.
BDPA?

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:

The average Bears fan longs for a strong defense & wants to relive the 85 season. I remember how awesome it was watching that team. Yet as time has gone by and the years have passed by. I could care less about how they win their next Super Bowl. Whether it be by dominating on one side of the ball and being adequate enough on the other side to win or by building a fairly balance attack from both sides of the ball.

Right now the league rules are in favor of the offensive side of the ball & I tend to want them to build a strong offense & have a decent enough defense and special teams to go with it.

Meanwhile no matter what I would like to see, I still don't care which side they build on. As long as they start going BPA & build from the trenches out. A team with a strong line on both sides of the ball is a winning team.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Bears need to build on the defense, so I say take the best defensive player available. We have more than enough options on offense, especially with 2 top 10 WRs, top 5 running back and a top 5 TE. What we don't have is any decent options on our bottom of the league defense.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, ideally Pace will hopefully be addressing the pressing needs in FA allowing him to draft the best player available at 7 but we'll have to wait and see. A lot also depends on how FA plays outs for everyone else and what teams 1-6 do in the draft. Pace's decision on Cutler will impact everything as well..

Personally, I'm hoping Pace trades Cutler for any draft pick/swap he can get and goes aggressively after top FA targets at potions of need. McCourty, Spikes, Fairley, etc then goes BPA at 7 (preferably a defensive pass rusher or trades down if Mariota slips and he can turn that into a huge haul of picks) then grabs Hundley in the 2nd before the Jets can.

I would like to see the Bears get a more mobile QB in here that can make plays with his feet if need be similar to Wilson, Kap, etc. Cutler doesn't take advantage of this aspect of his game nearly enough as he should. I think Hundley's current skillset is good enough to warrant an early 2nd round pick. He should be able to develop into a solid starter for us.

Really, has nothing to do with FA. Bears need to take the opportunity they have with a top 10 pick to get a building block player.

Even position or need aren't critical. The most important thing is that the bears get a player that can be a leader and perform for years. Just about the whole D is made up of journeyman types or role players. Bears need to get a stud D player at 7, wherever he lines up.

Chicagowin

Liked Posts:
Really, has nothing to do with FA. Bears need to take the opportunity they have with a top 10 pick to get a building block player.

Even position or need aren't critical. The most important thing is that the bears get a player that can be a leader and perform for years. Just about the whole D is made up of journeyman types or role players. Bears need to get a stud D player at 7, wherever he lines up.

That's groundbreaking analysis, folks.

Just to recap:

The Bears need impact players and leaders. That's some insightful shit.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
WHen you have a weak draft like this one is, you should not trade down in the top couple of rounds because the talent lower is weaker than in ordinary drafts. And if you can in your two top picks get two no doubt starters which would set your offensive line up as one of the top ones in all of football, it is a no brainer to me. Scherff and Ferguson 1 and 2.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
When it happens (trade down), then what will you bitch about. Oh, just what the h ell is "Omeletpant"anyway?

They're egg britches, clearly. Ovum pantaloons? Gamete slacks? Roe knickers?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets