What side to focus on?

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Now that we have Vic signed for the next 3 years, let’s take a closer look on what side to focus on more on the draft.

According to most reports, the defense was missing a few starters. They showed a list of missing key players on defense. Wasn’t just 2. With that said, they still managed to be a top 10 defense. So should we expect them to be the same or maybe even better next year with those starters coming back barring any worse injuries?

If that is the case, would it be smart to start with offensive players on the first few rounds and then find some diamond in the roughs for defense in the late rounds?

What are your thoughts on this? How would you draft after knowing this? Do you think Meredith will make a good comeback? Do you think Kevin White will actually pan out?

Also, think as a realist. We can’t have a superstar in every position. Let’s think realistically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Is this really a question?

Bears offense was basically the worst in football.

It’s actually multiple questions. And yes they are questions. Do you not see all the damn question marks?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
As always you focus on both. Pace is a smart man and he believes in a balanced football team. Obviously he has enormous resources tied up into the offense, but the defense still happens to be the strength of the team that also has multiple deficiencies. You have to look to add the best play makers and take BPA. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Pace went defensive heavy in free agency and had a slightly more offensive oriented draft.

greg23

Liked Posts:
For fuks sake please stop with the "what side should we draft/focus on".

Losers Mentality.

Just take the best fuking player at almost any position and things will usually work out.

If that happens to be rb, guard, ot, de, cb, olb at pick 8....then that's the fuking guy.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
As always you focus on both. Pace is a smart man and he believes in a balanced football team. Obviously he has enormous resources tied up into the offense, but the defense still happens to be the strength of the team that also has multiple deficiencies. You have to look to add the best play makers and take BPA. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Pace went defensive heavy in free agency and had a slightly more offensive oriented draft.

Nice read. I do see Pace focusing on the defense through free agency and focusing on the offense through the draft. Let’s see how it pans out.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:

Losers Mentality.

Just take the best fuking player at almost any position and things will usually work out.

If that happens to be rb, guard, ot, de, cb, olb at pick 8....then that's the fuking guy.

Let’s hope Trubisky does pan out. If not, i would hate to pick the best player available in the draft and it’s not a quarterback every year. If it happened that way.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
I'd say focus on the top side for a while and then work your way down.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Which side?

Bears fans again proving why they are LIQIS.

It's not either or.

It's both.

You need top tier talent, coaching, and depth on bnoth sides of the ball to be successful.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Losers Mentality.

This is usually a fallacy. Teams almost always take the best player available at position of need. The only times this doesn't happen is when the players available are graded so high above the best available at positions of need.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel like the defense is in much better shape than the offense, but we'll draft both. First round I could see OL, WR, OLB, CB. I think we'll hit all of those positions in the draft. I don't expect us to draft a QB, TE, RB, S, DT. DE is a maybe IMO. And no K/P (although a K in the last round wouldn't shock me).

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
With Vic we know we don't need to rebuild the defense. Keep things as they are and we have somewhere around a top 10 D. Focus on O.

BPA is the loser mentality. Nobody goes strict BPA. Browns would have a dozen QBs by the time their 1st round stockpile is gone. You don't need a dozen QBs on one team just because that's the BPA when you were up.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
With Vic we know we don't need to rebuild the defense. Keep things as they are and we have somewhere around a top 10 D. Focus on O.

BPA is the loser mentality. Nobody goes strict BPA. Browns would have a dozen QBs by the time their 1st round stockpile is gone. You don't need a dozen QBs on one team just because that's the BPA when you were up.

Well said. I do believe it works by position though.

oober

Liked Posts:
It's easy BPA, if it makes sense when it's time to pick, don't reach to fill a need.

Trantor

Liked Posts:
Nice read. I do see Pace focusing on the defense through free agency and focusing on the offense through the draft. Let’s see how it pans out.

That isn't Pace's MO. He will fill all of our holes on both sides of the ball with FAs, with the biggest signings likely being at our two current largest holes, CB and WR, and most of the rest probably being short prove it deals. Then he'll walk into the draft with no specific position being a must draft early. That's what he's done every year thus far.

napo55

Liked Posts:
It doesn't make a lot of sense to trade up for a potential franchise QB and fail to provide him with decent weapons. For many reasons, offense should be the priority.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
It doesn't make a lot of sense to trade up for a potential franchise QB and fail to provide him with decent weapons. For many reasons, offense should be the priority.

Imagine if he picks a wide receiver for our first pick and he pans out as well as Kevin White? And have Meredith back and he picks up where he left off? That would be fucking sweet. One can hope but that’s a long shot from happening.

AussieBear

its more than what side you b just focus on. its mo about what parts you have available to you..... to be concentrate yo efforts in areas.. windy shows as much in one of his recent threads.. windy b gets its.. so go reads that ones.. but....as me hero b saids...... life is like a box of chocolates..

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Well said. I do believe it works by position though.

Yep, BPA at position of need.
BPA is OK to take a future HOF'er but those are rare not what you get to do every draft or every pick.

Imagine if he picks a wide receiver for our first pick and he pans out as well as Kevin White? And have Meredith back and he picks up where he left off? That would be fucking sweet. One can hope but that’s a long shot from happening.

Imagine if we get the next Jerry Rice in the 1st vs getting the next Johnny Knox because we decided later rounds are good enough.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep, BPA at position of need.
BPA is OK to take a future HOF'er but those are rare not what you get to do every draft or every pick.

Imagine if we get the next Jerry Rice in the 1st vs getting the next Johnny Knox because we decided later rounds are good enough.

But there is virtually no way to identify the next Jerry Rice.

As said above, take the BPA at a position of need. So, anything but RB or QB works. maybe not DL?