What side to focus on?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Altho both will be addressed I think the focus will be on the offense. Supporting Trubs is what Pace will focus on. Nagy was step one in supporting Trubs. Pace seems to get QB is the most important thing. I bet he promised Fangio some help too, but supporting Trubs will be the theme.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
But there is virtually no way to identify the next Jerry Rice.

As said above, take the BPA at a position of need. So, anything but RB or QB works. maybe not DL?

No sure way. You pay your money, takes your chances.

I'd add RB as a straight BPA possibility. If you have one pegged as the next great one I'd upgrade the position especially now with the 3/4 RB rosters.
BPA QB to upgrade is probably out of the question for a few years. Hopefully we'll have to trade up too far for that to be worth the risk at this point. It's just me but if we had the #1 pick and I saw what I thought was a better QB I'd go for it and have the #1 and #2 picks as starter and backup. Keep the best one and trade the other before his rookie contract is up.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
For fuks sake please stop with the "what side should we draft/focus on".

Losers Mentality.

Just take the best fuking player at almost any position and things will usually work out.

If that happens to be rb, guard, ot, de, cb, olb at pick 8....then that's the fuking guy.
Too bad we can no longer dislike a poster

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Take the best player for your team, regardless of what side of the ball they play on. There is turnover on every NFL teamevery season. Just because a position is a strength now doesn't mean it will be a year from now. Smart Gms don't just draft/sign players for this next season, or even 2. They have a long term view of things.

The goal is to get good and remain there. That takes a sound strategy that looks beyond the moment...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
As always you focus on both. Pace is a smart man and he believes in a balanced football team. Obviously he has enormous resources tied up into the offense, but the defense still happens to be the strength of the team that also has multiple deficiencies. You have to look to add the best play makers and take BPA. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Pace went defensive heavy in free agency and had a slightly more offensive oriented draft.

If Pace brings back one of or both of Fuller and Prince then i think the team as it sits could get by with adding to OLB and that's it. Of course i'd like him to get better at ILB but i think we could get by with Trevathon, Kwiatkowski and C.Jones (who would also need to be re-signed). Bring back L.Houston to go with L.Floyd and then add a couple of the guys out there on that tier 2 level like, J.Attaochu and A.Lynch or A.Okafor and we could be good at OLB. Then go offense heavy in the draft at OL and WR and sign some names on offense in free agency.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Which side?

Bears fans again proving why they are LIQIS.

It's not either or.

It's both.

You need top tier talent, coaching, and depth on bnoth sides of the ball to be successful.

Haven't heard from you about what you think about the coaching hires Pace and Nagy have done so far so whatcha think??

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Haven't heard from you about what you think about the coaching hires Pace and Nagy have done so far so whatcha think??

That is like asking CNN what they think about Donald Trump. Why even ask.

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
You have to focus on more defense in first,IMO.This team needs an every down OLB that can rush the passer or a shutdown corner

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Looking at free agency, draft rankings and team needs I think the Bears' best chances would be to upgrade the defense through free agency and the offense through the draft. Doesn't seem like there are a lot of names that stand out for any position, more like 1 or 2. I think the Bears are supposed to have about $40 million and should have more once they start releasing players.

BUT if the Bears were able to land top tier free agents these are a couple of scenarios I'd like

Free agency: Solder/Norwell for OL and Landry/Thomas for WR
Rounds 1 and 2: Edge and CB

Free agency: Avery Williamson LB, Malcolm Butler CB and Kyle Fuller re-signed
Rounds 1 and 2: WR and OL

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
17 ppg

The offense should be the priority.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You have to focus on more defense in first,IMO.This team needs an every down OLB that can rush the passer or a shutdown corner

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Unfortunately neither of those positions directly help Trubisky.

They should be addressed, but significant answers need to be found at OT and WR.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
I’d assume they do DE/OLB, CB, WR or OL in the 1st 3 rounds. However the BPA falls for those positions.

Premature to say what major needs are going to be priority wise until FA.

Offense needs the most help in my eyes as of today.

Pace is also somewhat predictable in the 1st round after FA if there’s one major hole.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
BPA at positions of greatest need, right now those are (in no particular order) WR, RT, OLB and CB, but that can change after early FA signings.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
With Vic we know we don't need to rebuild the defense. Keep things as they are and we have somewhere around a top 10 D. Focus on O.

BPA is the loser mentality. Nobody goes strict BPA. Browns would have a dozen QBs by the time their 1st round stockpile is gone. You don't need a dozen QBs on one team just because that's the BPA when you were up.

This is ridiculous.

Name a time a team went into a draft and said "I need only offense", or vice versa.

We need WR's. Should we take one with the first few picks? Of course not. It depends on the value.

Is our D so unbelievably dominant that we need no defensive players? Go play Rodgers and let me know. The D was good, but hardly unbeatable. Using the arbitrary "Top 10" designation is silly.

Our offense was one of the worst in the league. But if we acquire a WR and an OT, should we still draft 5 more offensive players? RB? QB? TE? No.

I think a top CB is a higher priority than most others do. That would help a lot. But we still need OLB and more. Our D kept us in games, but they're not where we want them to be.

It is never an issue of "which side of the ball should we draft". Never.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is ridiculous.

Name a time a team went into a draft and said "I need only offense", or vice versa.

We need WR's. Should we take one with the first few picks? Of course not. It depends on the value.

Is our D so unbelievably dominant that we need no defensive players? Go play Rodgers and let me know. The D was good, but hardly unbeatable. Using the arbitrary "Top 10" designation is silly.

Our offense was one of the worst in the league. But if we acquire a WR and an OT, should we still draft 5 more offensive players? RB? QB? TE? No.

I think a top CB is a higher priority than most others do. That would help a lot. But we still need OLB and more. Our D kept us in games, but they're not where we want them to be.

It is never an issue of "which side of the ball should we draft". Never.

I don't think you realize just how badly the offensive inefficiency affected the defense. The Chicago Bears defense was the ONLY top 10 defense in the league that lost in time of possession. So when people say we really need to improve the offense. Its not understated at all. That defense as long as we don't lose our cornerbacks and manage to add some extra pass rush be it from the d-line or linebackers...is going to be impressive.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I don't think you realize just how badly the offensive inefficiency affected the defense. The Chicago Bears defense was the ONLY top 10 defense in the league that lost in time of possession. So when people say we really need to improve the offense. Its not understated at all. That defense as long as we don't lose our cornerbacks and manage to add some extra pass rush be it from the d-line or linebackers...is going to be impressive.

Never having to play catch up makes the other teams a lot less predictable.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears has a top 10 scoring defense with a bunch of injuries, 3 guys in the secondary that we had written off, and the worst offense in the league going 3 and out constantly.

The offense......

We lean offense because it is what cripples this team.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Pass rusher, CB, or WR. Not opposed to OL either, but preferably a LT at eight. Anything else I think you can find very good players later. The other three positions are impact positions.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Yep, BPA at position of need.
BPA is OK to take a future HOF'er but those are rare not what you get to do every draft or every pick.

Imagine if we get the next Jerry Rice in the 1st vs getting the next Johnny Knox because we decided later rounds are good enough.

Yeah, let’s draft receiver no matter what because he could be the next Rice!

Great post man, who wouldn’t want Rice over Knox?

Reactions: Myk
Liked Posts:
Offense....if Im the Bears Im drafting mutliple WRs (2) & maybe even a TE. I wouldnt be mad if we went Defense with our 1st pick, offense the rest of the draft.